Sony UBP-x1000es has anyone heard it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking for some opinions on the Sony UBP-x1000es. Wondering if anyone here has had hands on experience with it? Anyone compared one to an Oppo UDP-203? I'm looking at one to use as a CD transport and SACD player and to occasionally spin a Blu-Ray disc. Mostly I listen to LPs followed by FLACs but would like to be able to play CDs and SACDs from time to time so not really looking to spend anything more than the $700 that the Sony goes for.

Thanks

luckybaer likes this.
  2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I love the design of the Sony, but imo it's way overpriced right now. The Oppo 203 does a lot more for much less money. Unless something has changed, it won't gaplessly play FLAC's. Even worse, the remote is atrocious. You won't be able to do anything audio related other than basic transport functions without turning your monitor on. I haven't heard the analogs of the Sony. OTOH, the analogs of the Oppo are excellent.
    Check out the Sony website for the manual of the X1000 for more info on it's capabilities.

Even then, I would only buy it from a place that has a good return policy.

russk likes this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has Oppo fixed all the glitches the 203 had at release? Any streaming services yet?

4. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I have the cheaper 800 model which is really good, but doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles

ti-triodes and russk like this.
  5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I think there is still one major bug, if you have a need for it.. The HDMI input still doesn't accept 4K, iirc. Otherwise it's pretty well ironed out. I don't think the Oppo will ever offer streaming services. Since there are so many other ways to get streaming, they don't feel it's necessary. It also involves liscensing fees. They can't match the big boys like Sony and Samsung.
    Oppo never had great streaming to begin with. I never used mine on my older players.

BTW, Amazon has a few open box X1ooo's for the same price as the Oppo 203. I assume the warranty is valid.

russk likes this.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

With the Sony, can you play an SACD disc without turning your monitor on? I can with my Pioneer 563A. DVD-A discs require video monitoring most of the time with my 563, so that's no biggie if the Sony does likewise.

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If all you need is a transport, Sony's earlier UHP-H1 will do everything you could possibly want at a much cheaper price.

8. Jerry

Can someone confirm that it won't gaplessly play flac files? I know this was an issue with the Sony UHP-H1.

9. Jerry

I see that the Sony UPB-800 also doesn't play gapless files.

10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

SACD's play with no monitor. You just have to set the player up to natively play the stereo layer or surround layer if it's a hybrid disc.

progrocker and Jerry like this.
  11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Oops, missed this. The 1000 is effectively an 800 with analog outs, and front display. There's also some settings for custom installers that you can't do with the 800. The chassis and chipset are the same. From what I understand, everything that holds true for the 800 is the same as the 1000. Unfortunately, the remotes are also the same.

12. Jerry

Thanks for answering that! I think the only deal breaker now is if the 1000 won't play gapless. Unless I'm wrong in the terminology, that means if I play an SACD disc like the Allman Bros Live at Fillmore East, the tracks will have gaps between them, rather than flowing from one track to another seamlessly.

13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

SACDs (and CDs) are gapless. There are only issues when playing files.

BGLeduc and Jerry like this.
  14. Jerry

Perfect! I can't imagine pressed discs would play with gaps. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Whether you play it on a Sony or Oppo, crank the ABB up! :D

Jerry and Bill Mac like this.
  16. Jerry

The Sony UPB-800 is being sold for as little as $149 right now! I'm hoping the UBP-X1000ES will come down off its list price soon. If I only had an HDMI input on my receiver...

ti-triodes and scobb like this.
  17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's a really good price. Tempted.

Jerry and tootull like this.
  18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

19. Jerry

SandAndGlass and tootull like this.
  20. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Any thoughts on the OPPO 105 vs the x1000??? Curious about Audio (SACD) only..

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Anyone compare yet?

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Will the X1000 look fine playing Blu rays and DVD’s through my non-4K Sony XBR display?

24. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I thought so too until my son bought a Cambridge Audio CD player last year only to find it inserts gaps between tracks that should follow each other seamlessly. Cambridge Audio said it was a feature of the player!!!!!

I bought a new Yamaha CD player online recently but I made sure beforehand that it didn't have this stupid "feature".

It was discussed on this forum some years ago:

Cambridge Audio CD10 and CD gaps

25. Jerry

And I assume there's nothing in the player's menu to defeat gap insertion? I haven't heard that the Sony 1000es has that issue. Maybe rpd could report back on that now that he's bought one. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.