Sony UBP-X800 UHD 4K Universal Player Target $90 Clearance

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Chris Gerhard, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting, I will try to find some reviews from actual users of this modification for the UBP-X800.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I haven't had one issue with mine, ever.

Got it during massdrop offer.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Glad you got a good one, thanks for sharing.

4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Must be hit or miss as someone said. Cause I have seen people over at br audio complain of issues in the x800 thread.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've had this model for about 18 months - never any issue with it whatsoever. Handles 4K and 3D titles splendidly!

black sheriff likes this.
  6. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

12 months. No issues. Use it almost daily.

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

jabrow75 likes this.
  8. jabrow75

jabrow75 Forum Resident

Check the service manual on hifiengine.com (register for account if you don't have one). On next to last page in service manual, run "ROM version check". If version shows v1.24 or higher, proceeded to U-con check. If it is lower than v1.24, this procedure won't work. Best of luck.

P.S. when running U-con check, the service manual says to use a specific test disc, but you can use any hybrid sacd.

dee likes this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

Yep, worked until I got to the BO B1 B2 prompt and then like another user I could go no further in the process. Will have to find and check on "the run ROM version check" as the machine wouldn't finish the U-con check. I guess after rereading your post above this procedure won't work on this specific player.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  10. jabrow75

jabrow75 Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. It doesn't appear that the firmware is user updatable unfortunately.

dee likes this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

Yeah, it's not just not reading the sacd stereo layer that is the issue but the 595 was really my 5.1 surround option (for stereo downmix listening) for sacd releases. I have a Pioneer DVD-A player that I think reads sacd but I don't think it accesses the sacd surround sound, only the stereo. Will try cleaning the lens next I guess, if I can get in there.

I saw 2 of the thread-topic players in stock but couldn't get to the stores at the time and they're gone now. I like to have analog outs too though...but for the discounted price of this blu ray player...

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.