SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. I'm not talking about handshake issues, all I'm saying is that if you AVOID such this handshake, the x-800 will output PCM at 176.4/24 while playing SACD's via its DIGITAL COAXIAL OUTPUT, something that others don't do, they just mute the digital coaxial output while playing SACD's.
    If you get an external D/A converter like I did assign it to one of the RCA inputs of your A/V receiver and this input has no HDMI input assigned, no handshake is done between the receiver and the X-800 so while playing SACDs it outputs PCM 176.4/24 digital audio via its coaxial digital output that you can connect to an external D/A converter and listen to SACD converted to Hi Res PCM, and believe me, it sounds very well.

2. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

Unless there has been a change in the "standard", the SPDIF Coax output (no matter the brand) will only support (stereo) PCM up to 24/96.

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nor mine. I had to switch to HDMI 2 to get it to output DSD to my AVR, but it does it.

4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

You've not set things up right if you can't get DSD via HDMI

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure though-need to check the Sony again-you normally use one HDMI for picture and the other for dedicated audio on players that have 2 HDMI outputs......my old Oppo 105 was like that I'm sure the Sony is the same...

6. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

I run video and audio out of HDMI 1, DSD is no problem. Sony AVR, btw.

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's how I use mine.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I get DSD over HDMI to my Pioneer receiver using this Blu-ray player. Should work fine.

9. I do get DSD over HDMI to my Pioneer SC LX-76, that's what I do, set the input to BD/HDMI 1 when I want to listen to multichannel SACD's. For Stereo I change to SACD input that is set to analogue, so no HDMI handshake is done and then it outputs via coaxial 176.4/24 PCM signal that goes to the Topping D30 D/A converter.

10. I can get my X-800 to output DSD via HDMI.

11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Meant to post earlier, reset player and got YouTube back. Player then froze with the tray open. Had to unplug the X800 to reset, plugged back in and it has worked OK since.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Let me ask y’all for your recommendations, please. Here’s the scenario - I have a 4K tv and a 2.1 stereo system, no AVR or surround sound and won’t be adding anything like that. I do want 4K Blu-ray playback, SACD and regular CD audio. I have a Parasound Halo Integrated amp that has DAC onboard but no HDMI input. Which is best:

1. X800, using Integrated’s DAC but kinda downgraded since DSD only goes over HDMI.

2. 1000ES, using its DAC, outputting analog to integrated via RCAs.

3. Some other option

13. The Oppo 205 player would have been perfect for you, but good luck getting one these days at a sane price.

14. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The set up can be a little tricky there are a couple of little quirks-you can pm me but what I would recommend if you are playing a SACD or a DSD download have your DAC (or amp) on the input for HDMI-if for example you were on a Coax input and loaded a SACD then changed your input on your DAC I think the Sonly has already changed the output setting to non-DSD I've seen that happen on my set up-it must look where the signal is being processed-if it is not DSD capable it will change the output.

As I say feel free to PM me.

15. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Apologies jut reread all your inputs and misread this specific one. Yes you are totally correct in everything you say.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  16. Thank you, no problem at all. I was just trying to state that the Sony X-800 can output a PCM 176.4/24 signal via its coaxial digital output while playing SACDs discs,which is quite an unusual feature as all SACD player I know mute the coaxial (or opticals) SPDIF ouputs when playing an SACD disc.
    Even more, it can play DSD via its coaxial SPDIF output, you just need a program like dBpoweramp and convert native DSD files to DoP,which is DSD over PCM. The signal is formatted like PCM, on this case wav, but inside there's a NATIVE DSD data stream that can be played when connected to a D/A converter that can play DSD over PCM with its coaxial SPDIF coaxial input. What dBpoweramp does is change the container of the DSD file to fool players,very similar to what DTS did back in the 90's with their DTS CD's. They were conventional CD's any CD player could read, the CD player was fooled as if it was playing a plain PCM stream, when connected to a receiver that decoded DTS, this PCM stream was recognized as DTS and decompressed into multichannel, mainly 5.1, sound.

17. You can connect a Sony X-800 and as long as any of its HDMI inputs doesn't detect a DSD capable unit, it will ouput 176.4/24 while playing a SACD disc. Not ideal but you'll get Hi Res PCM out of SACD discs at a bargain price.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  18. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

So I'm looking at upgrading my player from an Oppo 105D to something that will play 4K UHD discs as I've got quite few of those now. I also have a lot of SACDs and quite a few DVD-A discs. I'm currently looking at the
    Sony - UBP-X1000ES as it has analog out and plays SACD. I do have a couple of questions about the 1000ES:

Does it do DSD to analog RCA outputs or does it put the PCM conversion in there?

Can I configure it to play SACD over the RCA outputs and then all other audio from Blurays and DVDs to go to HDMI? Actually what would be better is to be able to choose between HDMI or RCA because sometimes I only want this to play on my 2 channel setup and not go to my TV (or future receiver/sound bar)/

19. If you set the Audio Output to Auto and your soundbar doesn't decode DSD the player will automatically output a PCM signal from SACD's. What you want, play SACD's from the analog outputs and all the rest via HDMI is set up by default, you can then select if you want HDMI 1 or 2 to only output an audio signal, the RCA audio outputs will remain active anyway.

20. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

If you haven't figured it out, in FileAssociations file located in jriver folder try to change dsf to dsd, I just forgot I had to do it when I first installed Jriver..

Item Name="dsf">audio/x-dsd</Item>

21. matthewp

matthewp chronic procrastinator

Sorry late reply but yes it does work and quite well. I picked up a KanexPro Audio De-Embedder and connect the HDMI Audio out from the Sony to the HDMI input of the Kanex. From there connect to either Optical or Coax in on your DAC and you are good to go for SACD/DSD.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  22. I don't see the need of one of these gadgets with the X-800. Have a DVD-Audio or a BD-Audio? Make a safety copy of them for your own private use with DVDFab and the X-800 and any other BD player will output their 96/24 tracks untouched to a D/A converter. Want to play an SACD disc via SPDIF? Switch your D/A converter on, switch your Amplifier or A/V receiver on and then power on the X-800. Insert an SACD disc and there you go, 176.4/24 Hi res PCM from an SACD via SPDIF.

23. matthewp

matthewp chronic procrastinator

With the De-embedder there is no need to copy, just insert the disc and press play.

24. magicscreen

magicscreen New Member

Is it possible to play Flac files from a DVD disc written in data mode?
    I know the X800 can play from an USB pendrive.

25. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

If I want to listen to the SACD layer of a hybrid SACD with this player but my receiver doesn’t have any HDMI inputs, what would I need? Would those de-embedder things solve my problem? Or would I just need an HDMI-to-RCA adapter?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Kiko1974 likes this.