SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Well that's it then, let's close the Audio Hardware forum because we have the answer right there!o_O

bdfin, Gizmo90, timind and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Nonsense is correct ;). Superior to what? Best value compared to what?

3. John1026

John1026 Member

"ES" = marketing gimmick

Sony tried this on cassette tapes and even minidiscs. They sound the same as other Sony tapes and MDs.

4. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have never used cassette tapes & minidiscs, .The ES models I refer to are the 5400 Sacd/Cd player & 5400Es AVR (UK version ) IMO they have no equal at their price that I know of. Read Home Cinema Choice April 2009 & HFN March 2009 reviews.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You list two ES products from 2009, that's eight years ago. That's all the ES products you can come up with? Your earlier post indicated that.......
    So does that mean from eight years ago?

6. High Fidelity

YES, I also have the Sony BDP-760 sold in the US as the BDP-1000 ES excellent blu-ray player where both picture & especially sound is far superior to Oppo 103, which I bought and returned for a refund.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So now you are up to three Sony ES products with the BDP-1000ES being eight years old as it was out in 2009. The BDP-1000ES had a list price of $699 which is $200 over the cost of the Oppo 103. Your thoughts on the Oppo 103 are isolated as I've never seen any posts on any other A/V forums stating what you have. I've read several reviews comparing the Oppo 103 to several recent Sony Blu-ray players and the consensus was that the PQ and SQ were very similar if not undistingushable when using HDMI. None said that either player was "far superior" than the other.

Why don't you post some online reviews stating the Sony BDP-760 has picture and sound "far superior" to that of the Oppo 103. If the Sony BDP-760 or the BDP-1000ES are so "far superior" to the Oppo 103 there should be plenty of online professional reviews stating just that ;).

Any recent Sony ES products from 2017 that are "superior to other players and the best value in high end audio"?

Darren Richardson likes this.
  8. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

You should check out some of his posts over at AA under the moniker Disbeliever. Comedy Gold!

timind and Bill Mac like this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Nice, perfect forum name :D! What is AA? I know I should know but it's not registering.

10. High Fidelity

The UK price for the Sony BDP-760 at launch in 2009 was £330 , with a 20% discount this makes it cheaper than the Oppo 103 which is more expensive in UK than US.As for the 2017 Sony ES AVRs ( not sold in UK) they do not interest me as I am very happy with my UK version 5400ES .

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Doesn't really answer my earlier question. If you feel Sony ES products are currently "superior to other players and the best value in high end audio" what are the current ES products that are so superior? If you're going to make such definitive statements the least you can do is back them up with some factual information. If not then your statement is irrelevant IMO.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Alcoholics Anonymous?

13. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Audio Asylum, usually in the Digital Hi-Rez Highway Forum.

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. High Fidelity

I can only report as I find which is that I much prefer sound & video for BD from Sony BDP-760 compared to the Oppo 103 using HDMI.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's fine that you are posting your preference to the Sony over the Oppo. I have no problem with that. The issue I have is when you post Sony ES players are "superior to other players and the best value in high end audio". What does that really mean? When asked to elaborate on that you provide nothing to back that up and you can't even list current Sony ES players to back up that claim. To make a broad based statement about Sony ES players without posting how you came to that conclusion means that claim is of no relevance IMO.

It would be the same if I posted Oppo players "superior to other players and the best value in high end audio" without backing it up. Are Oppo players superior to players from companies like Esoteric and other high end companies? No they're definitely not. Are Oppo players the best value in high end audio? No I don't think they are as I don't consider Oppo players to be "high end". Great players but not "high end". I don't even think Oppo players are currently the best "value" in universal players. That would easily go to the Sony UHP-H1 which can be found on Amazon for $199.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  16. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

LOL
    You guys are all so anal

Lighten up it's just a dude's opinion.

Aren't people's opinions valid?

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's a discussion forum, correct ;)? Peoples opinions are definitely valid. Quite often here members make inquiries about others opinions. If one makes the broad based statements as High Fidelity has then it would be great if he explained up how he came to those conclusions. He hasn't so in my opinion the statement he made has no validity.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    bdfin likes this.
  18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I hate bringing the discussion back to the X800, but be aware it also does not have a front display. This alone would rule it out for many people around here.

Dmdstrhalo, beverett, bru87tr and 5 others like this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow! I just looked at the UBP-X800's manual and you are 100% right. I can't believe that there isn't a front panel display.

https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4687309111.pdf

20. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

Are the menus accessible via app at least (i.e. does it have kind of a "complete" webinterface)?

21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Check your app store to see if Sony has a compatible app. Make sure you check the reviews. They'll tell you how well it works. Otherwise, there are on screen menus like any modern BD player.

22. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

The app store info is not too detailed. And there wouldn't be a screen close to the player => hifi stereo only! Ok, i could buy a cheap mini display with HDMI input.

Anyway, i've given up to find a universal disc player for hifi that also could act as a versatile media player (completely operable via app or its own display at least ... and w/o having to pay a fortune). Thank God, now i'm able to rip any kind of disc in my collection and transfer it digitally to the amp. Foobar2000 & friends are for free. They are not afraid of formats (compressed, pcm, DSD, DSD over PCM), chapter/track selection, gapless playing etc.. No need to click through menu levels (blindly!). Just sitting back on a chair, click and play.

Even though i still prefer physical media, the OEMs do not offer (or want to offer) devices that can manage both discs and file collections in a simple way (apart from mostly poor firmware updating). So i will keep the CDs and store other media on hard disc. And one day i might not even ask for the source of the files as they are simply files...

Ok, sorry, that was completely off topic.

timind likes this.
  23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

At least one guy on another site likes the sound:
    OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

24. High Fidelity

25. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Does anyone know if this can easily be made multi region for DVDs?

I currently have a Sony bdp that was made MR by entering a code on an all-for-one remote.