SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Have you checked multi-region.net to see if you can burn a super disk for the 800? I'm not sure if it's compatable with Sony UHD players as of yet.

2. Jerome McClendon

Jerome McClendon Member

I've had my UBP-X800 for about a month. I'm very impressed with the hi-res audio of my SACDs, both stereo and multichannel. It's not scientific but it sounds great to me and my friends and family. I'm actually more impressed with the audio performance than the video.

3. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This is a suprise, I would have expected the Video to be better than the audio. I was going to buy the X800 but have changed my mind ,because 1. I am not interested in 4K Blu-Ray and have two excellent Sony BD players 2. There is no display on the machine for audio plus I have the excellent Sony combo AVR DA5400Es (Uk version with HATS) & XA5400ES SACD/CD player for excellent mch SACD & stereo CD,have heard nothing better including very expensive dCs.

4. Jerome McClendon

Jerome McClendon Member

The x800 sounds great. I've replaced my OPPO player with the X800 and could not be happier. I''m not sure if you would consider me an audiophile but I try. I mostly use British and German made equipment and have an extensive library of SACD's and hi-rez digital files. Anyway, I love the sound quality even better than the video quality from this unit. I do hear that they will offer an ES version of this player later in the year. I'm sure it will be even better but more costly.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Then why did you even start this thread? An actual UBP-800 owner is posting positive thoughts on the SQ of it and you post the above? Brilliant :laugh:!

Guss2, tkl7 and timind like this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I would expect Sony bluray players with SA-CD capability to sound fairly good, as they pioneered the format. I have a BDP-BX650 from Costco that sounds good. I think the main problem that it and this machine share is that they do not resume the Bluray/DVD playback if you pause the player for too long or try to restart after stopping.

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

this ES doesn't have surround jacks

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

PTgraphics likes this.
  9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

The UBP-X800 is $268 at the B&H. No tax and possibly free shipping.

10. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I've had this Sony player for a week and I'm very happy with it. Picture is on par with my old Samsung UBD K-8500, maybe the Sony looks slightly more defined and doesn't have a bit of a red push that I think the Samsung has.
    What I like the best is the audio deparment. It plays DSD files, not only stereo but also multichannel, so if you have your SACD discs backed up as ISO's you can extract both stereo and multichannel files with ISO2DSD and play them through an USB flash drive or HDD (I'm using an SSD) with the Sony player. Another interesting feature is Sony's DSEE HX which upsamples low-res audio to 44.1 or 48 Khz 16 bits to 88.2 or 96 Khz at 24 bits, and this makes CD's for example sound great.

mdm08033 likes this.
  11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thanking about getting one of these players. I don't have a 4K tv but I like the fact it can play hi res files. I have a cranky Pioneer blu ray player at the moment. No tv connected yet and it goes into an all analog pre. No HDMI setup.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  12. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

A quick comment on video playback

I was disappointed to see that the X800 has the same problem as my previous Sony player. Certain discs from Fox refuse to play because they require a firmware update. Apparently there is some incompatibility with obscure features of the Bluray specification. This issue has been around for several years.

13. High Fidelity

I have after all bought the X800 & Marantz SR6011 AVR . PQ is excellent it up scales BD to 4K . The audio is not quite as good as my Sony XA5400Es. The downside of the X800 is no display , when playing SACD/CDs the display can not be turned off TV Sony XD9305 screen. remote has a display button, can anyone tell me what it is for as it does not turn display off.

14. EddieVanHalen

Do you have any SACD discs? Just imagine you have several, and also have a friend with a first gen Playstation 3 with its original firmware so you can go to his place and do ISO copies of your SACD's. No, this Sony UHD BD player doesn't play SACD-R burned on recordable DVD's, but it does something even better. Look on Google for ISO2DSD which extracts individual DSD tracks from an SACD ISO, either stereo or multichannel. Put those stereo or multichannel DSD files on an USB thumb drive or HDD and there you go, real stereo or multichannel DSD playing from your SACD's, bit accurate if ISO was copied right without using your actual discs and get the disc reading unit on your UBP X-800 player in good shape due to the stress hybrid SACD's put on discs drives.

15. High Fidelity

What stress hybrid SACD's put on disc drives, ? my XA5400ES still excellent after 8 years playing hybrid SACD's.

16. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have more than a few SACD's. It would be good to maybe take the the better sounding music from the disc and be able to play it anywhere and just not in my sacd player.

Pat

17. EddieVanHalen

Lucky you. Many of us here agree that hybrid SACD's put some additional stress on SACD reading drives. In fact, when they start failing the first discs to fail are hybrid SACD's which use to read the CD layer only.

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

So, I'm reading shoddy development. The abilities of an electronic reader to fail after how many cycles exactly...?

19. EddieVanHalen

I don't listen to music with a chronometer or keeping a log of how many and how many times I play a hybrid SACD, do you?

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've had a number of SACD players. The only issue playing SACDs was with a used Denon 2930(?) I bought awhile back. All the Oppo players I've owned have never failed to play any SACDs hybrid or single layer.

21. EddieVanHalen

Neither my ancient Oppo BDP-93 which I bought as soon as it was on sale. For many years, from mid 2010 to April 2016 when I bought the Samsung UBD K-8500 UHD BD player, it has been the only source on my Home Theatre set up, I used it to play EVERYTHING, SACD's, CD's, Blu ray discs, DVD's, some DVD-Audio discs and movie and music files on USB flash drives and HDD's. I live in Spain but my Oppo is the US model with no multiregion modification. It still works flaslessly but now I only use it to play region A BD's. But not all players are made like an Oppo...

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Let's just say I've a not unreasonable expectation that the gear I've bought will perform. And to date it has and I've a good few hi-res discs on SACD, blu-ray and DVD-A. Nary a burnt out drive yet.

Guss2 likes this.
  23. High Fidelity

Now discovered disc TV display can be turned on/off with ACTION MENU button on the XD9305 remote.

24. EddieVanHalen

I have an entry level 4K HDR Samsung T.V. set which I bought less than two months ago.
    Yesterday I was bored as I have a dissability, have my shoulders all messed up, thus I don't work as I got a full pension from Spanish goverment (100% of my former wage) so I have plenty of time, don't have to go to work but I have a wage. On my boreness I went and ''played'' with the different screen settings and configuration on the Sony player. One of the changed I tested was the HDMI output signal, which I've always had set to Auto. I set the HDMI to RGB and this surprised me as I think picture has an edge of picture quality that component video (the Auto setting outputs component video depending on the set it's linked to) doesn't have. Color with HDR material looks the same but picture seems to look cleaner. Give it a try with some UHD BD movies you know well.

Dan Steele likes this.
  25. High Fidelity

Which model Oppo ?