SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

It does, and I was using it w/ the X800.

On the S790, I just press the Subtitle button on the remote. It is a con, but it is a minor one.

For me, the biggest hassle was losing the handshake w/ the AVR. The other things are more minor.

2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I picked one of these up recently to replace my dying Pioneer BDP-62FD and I'm very impressed so far.

It can read NTFS formatted USB drives which is a nice surprise. It read the following file types from USB without a hiccup:

16/44 FLAC
    24/192 FLAC
    .DSF files (multichannel and stereo)
    .TS files (full HD files recorded OTA)

Sadly, it won't do gapless playback with FLACs or DSF files but it doesn't seem many players will. Does anyone know if the current Oppo players do gapless playback of these file types? I may need to work on getting DSD setup with my LMS server.

It was able to detect my Plex and LMS servers and play video and audio files from both. The navigation is very quick and logically laid out. It also detected my HDhomerun tuners and I was able to play live television.

However, I'll have to keep my Pioneer around to handle DVD-Audio and SACD backups as well as my dumb Radiohead King of Limbs: From the Basement blu-ray which I love very much but seems to cause a lot of US players grief (I think because of the 25Hz refresh rate - I get sound but no picture through the Sony). The Sony does play BD-R backups so that's nice at least. I understand why it won't playback commercial SACD and DVD-A backups but it won't even play homemade DVD-Audio discs which is frustrating.

The remote control is also nice and responsive which is a treat after dealing with that Pioneer all these years. You have to be so precise with where you point the remote on the Pioneer!

c-eling, dobyblue and PhantomStranger like this.
  3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have both the Pioneer BDP-62FD and BDP-52FD. Each in a different system. I have problems with both. My Sony X800 still sits in a box until I can decide if I can hook it up to my currently all analog Stereo system (in place of the BDP-52FD).

jamesc likes this.
  4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I’m using a remote that is close to eight years old.

5. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I've just stumbled upon this. My digital transport is the Oppo 105 but it is getting on a bit-it locks up sometimes and requires a reboot-I've been looking at the 205 as a replacement however since I use the Bryston BDA-3 DAC with HDMI for SACD this player looks to be something serious to consider-currently 270 quid from Amazon. How to talk to the good lady about this before Xmas...:)

6. dougotte

Duh! My frustration w/ my X800 issues blinded me to a better solution:
    1) Keep the X800 in the main rig for discs (it does load faster), and
    2) Use the AppleTV for streaming apps.

Despite the overly minimalist remote, the Netflix app on the AppleTV is the best I have (S790, X800, PS4, and AppleTV). It defaults to a view which includes My List, so I don't have to hunt for it. And, the AppleTV Netflix doesn't have previews with audio that confuses my AVR. It does still require several clicks to turn on/off subtitles. And, I do still miss the S790 front panel display.

I long ago learned that no electronic component is flawless, nor have I yet found one that has all the features I prefer.

The other downside to the X800 that I forgot to mention: I get an error when trying to update the firmware via wifi. I have to load the update file on a USB stick. I didn't have this problem w/ the S790, but they stopped providing updates for it anyway.

7. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Never a problem using wifi for content or firmware upgrades. Guess my provider does it right!

8. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I think the current Oppos are similar to the 103/105 series in that they will do gapless playback of FLAC files from an external drive connected by USB. If you have DSD music saved as separate DSF files then they won’t play gaplessly, though if you rip an SACD as a single file with a CUE file that is one workaround. Gapless over a network is said to be more difficult and isn’t something I have tried.

jamesc likes this.
  9. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

To those guys who are using Sony DVD remotes with the x800. Do the ancillary buttons on the DVD remotes control similar functions on the X800?

10. dougotte

I'm using an S790 blu-ray remote. All the buttons I've tried work the same on the X800. Which ones do you have in mind?

11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thanks. Is this the 790 remote?

[​IMG]

I was wondering about those older Sony DVD remotes that were a sea of buttons. It would be nice if some of the audio and video functions on the x800 were accessable without digging into the on screen display.

12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Here is the old remote that use because the buttons light up. Every function seems to work.
    [​IMG]

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sea of buttons?! A mere beginner. Here's one of Onkyo's more recent offerings...

[​IMG]

I used to have a Sony S370 blu-ray player with a similar handset to the one you displayed. Have to say I loved it. Nice size, responsive and lasted.

The Onkyo above? I went through two of those remotes when I had the TX-NR818 amp. And the shop tried to get me to pay for a replacement when the first one died. I think not...!

14. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

When was the last time you tried the Radiohead Blu-ray on the Sony? Update 178 seems to have added full 1080i50 playback functionality as long as it's not region coded. I tested my Radiohead Blu-ray (imported from Amazon UK) this morning and it worked fine, as do my 1080i50 F1 season reviews with the exception of 2011 which was locked to REGION B. When I press the DISPLAY button I'm seeing 1080p50 and my Onkyo says it's passing through 50Hz too, my Panny VT60 doesn't show frame rate, just tells me it's displaying 1080p.

I've also been ripping my DVD-As to FLAC, the Sony streams them perfectly through DNLA over my gigabit LAN directly from my 4TB HDD mirror on my PC. I'm converting my SACD .iso back-ups to .dsf, those don't work over DNLA (I'm using PLEX) but I've heard they will work via USB and your post confirms that.

My Pioneer BDP-62FD Elite crapped out so I went with the Sony and am slowly overcoming the few caveats it has. I love having so many high res surround albums now at the push of a button vs. going and getting all the discs I want. Like you I do not miss that very fussy line of sight the Pioneer remote needed!

jamesc and Sevoflurane like this.
  15. dougotte

No, but I think that's the remote that came w/ the previous S590. I don't know how to insert an image on this forum, but if you search for it, you'll find one on Walmart. It basically works the same as the one you showed, but is slightly bigger and has a nice texture that's easier to hold. It does have the 10-second skip/rewind buttons that are handy and which the S590 and X800 remotes don't have.

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ah, good to know about the Radiohead. I'll check to see if there's an update available. I guess it's possible that the Sony isn't playing nice with my older Marantz receiver so I'll try to connect it directly to the TV to see if that works.

That's great to hear about the DVD-A rips! I'll have to read up on the right way to do that. :) It would be nice when demoing surround tracks to not have to keep looking for and swapping discs.

17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Oh, and regarding remotes... for fun, I tried pairing my old PS3 bluray remote since the x800 has bluetooth but it didn't see the remote.

18. dougotte

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've had the Sony UBP x800 for about three weeks now. It replaced an Oppo DV-970hd and an older Sony BDP. Here's my highlights:

1. The UBP is noise-free. Can't hardly tell it's operating. My other Sony BDP hummed audibly when in operation.

2. CD's sound GREAT on the UBP. Biggest fun of the experience has been dragging out old CD's that I haven't listened to in years.

3. Every problem I've had (or thought I had) with the UBP has been solved easily. At first I could not get SACD to play straight DSD - that was solved by switching to the HDMI 2 slot (meant for audio only). Then I panicked because none of my burned DVD's with ISO files would play. I found out that all I had to do was switched the player to "DVD-VIDEO" when playing these (instead of DVD-AUDIO) and they all play again. The other two players didn't have this quirk but it's a very minor issue.

4. Streaming looks and sounds great. I've watched VUDU and Netflix and have no problem with streaming quality. It's cool seeing that my receiver is decoding Dolby Digital Plus for Netflix and Vudu - my main TV system (Vizio TV, Roku box, ZVOX soundbar) doesn't even do that (neither the TV nor the ZVOX support it).

5. And lastly, the player sounds great with DVD-A, SACD, and Blu-ray audio.

I got the UBP so that I could have one player doing everything that two players were doing before, and happily it does much more than even that. The Oppo DV-970hd served me well for many years but it's not Blu-ray and also doesn't do pure DSD - it converts SACD to PCM. The other Sony BDP was always just a stopgap measure for Blu-ray and DSD SACD.

bradman, jamesc, dobyblue and 4 others like this.
  20. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I got one of these cheap in the UK I should receive it over the next couple of days see how it compares to my current 105 in my system.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd be curious as to the thoughts on your comparison between the X800 and the 105. Not sure what the differences would be as it'll be as a transport as the X800 doesn't have analog outputs. Are you using the 105 as a transport?

tmtomh likes this.
  22. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I'm confused by comments praising the sound of this unit. It has no analogue outputs, which means it has no DAC function, which means that when you play CDs or any other optical disc on it, it's just a transport. The sound quality imparted when using this machine to play discs comes from your outboard DAC, not from this Sony unit.

(EDIT: @Bill Mac made his comment saying something very similar right as I was making mine)

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've been wondering the same thing.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

I'd really like to pick up a HDMI to rca converter for my X800. Recommendations?

25. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Yes I have the Bryston BDA-3 Dac. When I originally bought the 105 it was as a stand alone player-it replaced an Ayre CX-7.

I have a decent Blu Ray Audio and growing SACD collection.

Bill Mac likes this.