Sony XA5400ES vs Oppo BDP-105

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tnt95, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I agree that the 6moons review is obtuse even though I read them semi-regularly.
    You also have to realize that they are not inclined to give a pedestrian player such as the Oppo a rave.
    As to the OP?
    The Oppo hands down vs. the 5400.
    On CD or SACD it's a wash but throw all of the other capabilities of the 105 PLUS the unparalleled Oppo customer service and firmware updates?
    IMO, it's no contest. None.

Linger63 likes this.
  2. ***PL***

***PL*** Member

Wrong! Read the first post in this thread! The OP said "To be used for 2 channel (CD/SACD) playback only."

If used as such the majority here agree that the Sony is better than the Oppo. But as I said before and I'll say it again, the Denon DCD-A100 beats both of these, no contest. And yes, I happen to currently own all three!

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting.

4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That's fine that a "majority here agree" but I don't for a variety of reasons.
    I've heard the 5400 vs. the 95 on CD and SACD, to me the slight differences did not matter.
    My question to the OP would be, why limit yourself to CD\SACD?
    The 105 can play .dff files and everything else.
    More and more music is being released on Blu-ray.
    Are you positive you're not going to want those capabilities in the near future?
    Granted you may already have a media server.
    Also I see you live in Canada. How is Sony tech support there?
    One thing not in dispute is Oppo's level of customer support.
    A friend just sent in his old 83 for a faulty tray.
    Back in his hand's in 7 days. Way out of warranty, no charge.

I respect your preference for the Denon, I've owned 2. The last one being the 5910ci.
    But the OP is buying now and the DCD-A100 is a discontinued model.
    Maybe that doesn't matter to him but it is a consideration.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I own both. Clearly, the Oppo is more versatile, but for multi-channel SACD, I prefer the Sony. The 5400 sounds a little less "digital" to my ears. The Oppo is first and foremost a Blu-ray player, let's not forget.

Metralla likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

When playing a multi-channel SACD with the 5400 is the audio output LPCM or Bitstream? I looked at the 5400 manual and does not indicate either one.

But the 5400 manual does say:

To play a multi-channel Super Audio CD:
    Connect the player to a multi-channel amplifier via the HDMI OUT jack. Set the balance and distance of the speakers on the connected amplifier.

When you compared the 5400 and the 105 did you use HDMI for the 105 as well? Which HDMI setting did you use for the 105? I ask as it would seem that possibly your 5.1 processor could have an impact on how each player sounds. Just curious :).

Bill

7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

The Sony will send DSD if the connected device can handle it. Otherwise, it will send PCM.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Kal,

Thanks for that information :).

Bill

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

As Kal said, it sends DSD. I used the DSD setting on the Oppo and turned off Audyssey so there was no down sampling. I think LPCM and Bistream are audio settings for DVD's/Blu-rays, aren't they?

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The HDMI setting is for selecting audio format from the HDMI output which would I assume include SACDs.

The below is from the 105 manual.

HDMI Audio: Allows you to select the digital audio output format from the HDMI port. The
    options are:
    Auto (default) – The player checks with the device connecting to the HDMI output to
    automatically determine which audio format to use.
    LPCM – Digital audio output via HDMI will be in the multi-channel Linear PCM format. When
    this option is selected, compressed audio bit streams will be decoded by the player. This
    setting is recommended when connecting the HDMI output directly to a TV or to a receiver
    without advanced audio decoding capabilities.
    Bitstream – Digital audio output via HDMI will be in bitstream format. This option is
    recommended when connecting the HDMI output to an A/V receiver or processor that
    supports advanced audio decoding, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
    Off – No digital audio output via HDMI.

Another important setting in the 105 manual:

NOTE:
    If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important
    that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio
    content (DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI
    specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by
    video. At 480p/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio
    with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to
    48kHz). If you play high resolution audio content at the 480p/576p resolution, you may get
    reduced audio resolution, incomplete audio channels, or even no audio/video output at all.
    Choosing a higher output resolution such as 720p or above allows enough bandwidth for all
    high sample rate audio channels.

So if when doing your comparison these settings were not set correctly the 105 could possibly not sound as good as it could for multi-channel SACDs

Bill

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I was referring to the SACD settings, which offer DSD or PCM. From the list in your reply, I use the Auto setting.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It's been about a year since anyone replied to this thread, so I thought I would! I've pretty much switched to 2-channel via XLR, and I prefer the Sony. The Oppo might be a little warmer but the Sony is more detailed.

13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks for your comparison. I'm surprised that you find the Sony better for sound, in general, but that echoes what some others have posted here.

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It seems to depend a bit on the recording. I listen to classical music almost entirely, and some older recording with screechy sounding strings sound better through the Oppo, while richer sounding newer ones are better through the Sony.

15. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I wouldn't want to have a one unit does all for fear of the constant wear and tear.

16. The Sony sounds better but the unit is officially out of production now.

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

This thread caused me to reconnect the Sony XA777-ES I set aside years ago when I bought an Oppo BDP-83SE. You're right. The Sony sounds better in 5.1.
    Thanks!

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What? Unreal.

20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

You're welcome!

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

triple likes this.
  22. HiFi Guy 008

Bill likes this.
  23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm curious...which new machine are you thinking of?

24. HiFi Guy 008

I was speaking in general terms, although I'm sure I could list a few for ya if you give me a while to wrack my brain.
    Also, I meant for less than $5700.00. I'm sure you could search on the forums and find reviews for many SACD players that trump it at that price.

For a 4500 at the original price, I believe the owners here - that it's a great player for the money.

25. ellingtonic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.