Sony XA777ES 2-Channel CD Playback Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HeavyDistortion, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member Thread Starter

I just purchased a Sony XA777ES SACD/CD player and would like to hear the opinions of any forum members about it's 2-channel CD playback. After reading numerous reviews and specs of the player, it appears that there are two 2-channel CD playback digital filters, "Standard" and "Option". Does anyone prefer one over the other, or can anyone describe any differences in the sounds between the two? I should be receiving my player at the end of this week, and any information and/or recommendations concerning the 2-channel CD playback digital filters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Ed, FWIW I have a Sony SCD-1 with four filters on its CD play back and a Sony DVD player with two filters in its CD play back. The optional should be a more gentle roll off. I found more information about the SCD-1 filters on the Sony website in a white paper on the SCD-1. IMHO none of these CD filters make as big a difference as going from CD to SACD so do not expect miracles. In my video system I cannot hear the difference between the normal and optional. In my stereo system I can hear some very slight difference and I use number four for a more analog sound.

3. HeavyDistortion

ALP,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the Sony website for possibly more info, and I'll also have to read the manual when my machine arrives. I'm guessing that I will not be able to hear much of a difference between the two filters.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have the XA777ES, and I choose to leave the filter "off". It's not a dramatic difference, but having the filter on seems to smear the image IMO. Try it for yourself and let us know.

5. HeavyDistortion

Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I just received my XA777ES late yesterday and did some casual listening with the digital filter set on "Standard", and I was very happy with the sound. I'll have to do some comparisons of the digital filters in the near future.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.