SOPRANOS Season 5 Finale: Let the discussion begin.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredCamp, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member Thread Starter

Personally, I think Tony is poised to become the BIG BOSS now that Johnny is in custody. When the Feds showed up and Tony started running, I thought my worst fear was coming true -- that the season would end with Tony either in the hospital or in jail. I'm glad I was wrong because it seems like it will be a long time before Season 6. I heard it would be aired in 2006. Anyone else heard this?

I also need some one to help me on one point: is the guy who ratted out the Brooklyn family the same guy that Tony patted on the back twice at the birthday party, just before Tony's speech about Tony B?

For once, I know who sang the closing song. I watched the show in 5.1 at a friend's house. I've never heard a better reason for a Van Morrison SACD or DVD-A.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Fred,

Gotta watch this one on the midnight WC feed....sounds great, though!:righton: My god, what a season this has been...thought it started out too slow and sluggish, and then...not sure which ep....it picked up real steam and just kept on going, keeping you on the edge of your seat for the last half-dozen or so. Can't ask for more!

:ed:

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Very good episode - quite surprised by it.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Although the last episode was more intense, this was one ending that I did not see coming. All of Tony's problems washed away. Now he has the guilt of Tony B when maybe he should have waited. I think his son will be a real problem next season, but maybe he'll "turn into Tony"!!

Yes, I think that WAS the same guy who had the Birthday party. Wonder how the "girls" will react to Adrianna "running off" from Christopher.

All in all, a great season. The worst part of being a Sopranos fan is the LONG WAIT before the next season.

It's almost like waiting for the "Running on Empty" DVD-A! :D

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

.....or Beatles on SACD.....

Evan

6. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Did Phil get taken down in the New York bust? It's very possible that someone in New York could rat out the Jersey family. Perhaps this is how the series will end, with the leaders of NY and NJ in prison.

All in all I thought it was a pretty good episode. It lacked the intensity of "Long Term Parking" but a good season finale. There aren't too many plot threads hanging, who knows what we'll get in season six.

I was half expecting a scene with Ade's mother sobbing, sooner or later someone will be wondering what happened to her. I don't think she confided in anyone (except Christopher) about working with the FBI.

They all made fun of Big ***** when he was running from the Feds, now Tony does the same thing at Johnny Sacks! What a great final sequence, I thought the bear was making a reappearance in Tony's backyard in the final scene.

I'm guessing that season six opens up with Meadow's wedding as an homage to "The Godfather".

Season finale rating: A-
    Season overall rating: B+

7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

They really pulled a lot of threads together! They even came back to the 'Napoleon' painting! A really great season, I'd say.

I wonder if the 'clipped' ratio was a little higher this season? Seems like they were whacking someone close to the family in every episode...

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I was SO happy to see that painting show up. It was perfect. :)

So true that all of Tony's problems are gone now. I doubt that will last. As suggested here, Season Six could end with the Jersey crew busted.

An event planner? :laugh:

9. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I agree, the painting was perfectly placed in the storyline/episode. Last thing I read said they have not started writing or filming the final season, which will only be 10 episodes and may not air until early 2006. Quite a wait.

10. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

The guy who ratted out the Brooklyn mob was Jimmy Petrille, one of Johnny Sack's captains or consigliere (not sure which, but he is head of the Brooklyn crew). He was the third man at Johnny's side with Phil Leotardo in the meeting with Tony- the guy who tried to calm Phil down.

The birthday party guy was Ray, who seems to be ratting out Tony's crew (gave the FBI a tape of Tony & Vito talking about a job). We'll see what becomes of that in season 6 (2006?)

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for putting that last part together for me. I was distracted by a phone call for a brief moment.

I also thought the last half of the season was really good. I was getting slightly turned off and the end of last season and most of this one as it focused too much on Meadow, AJ, Uncle Jr. and other character lines that wore thin. Not to be too cliche, but we need MOB ACTION! The last few episodes delivered in spades. If I want to watch about Meadow's college-boyfriend problems, I'll turn on "Eight Simple Rules" :sigh:

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I personally LIKE the fact that it ain't all MOB ACTION. The Sopranos is not just a mob show, and it never was... it IS a family show, and we're talking both the mob family and the blood family. That's the beauty of it.

Last season was slow, true. But I always saw it as a massive setup for the end of the show. And I found the final episode of last season to be one of the best episodes ever, and that dealt mainly Carmen and Tony's breakup.

13. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I had to study the credits and then rewind on Tivo to watch the pertinent segments to figure this out. Watched Tony's cell phone call on the stoop three times!!!

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Jay,

This may be an understatement. Not only IS Ray giving them up BUT he seems to be making friends doing it. I think he's the first person yet who told one FBI dude to tell all the others (by name) that he said hi. Geez..... it's almost like Ray is more worried about being tight w/ the FBI than his own crew. Sure Big Pus was a wannabe, but this appears to be quite different.

As quick as it looks like the leak is sealed, Tony springs a new leak! :) I love this show!

Take care,
    Jeffrey

15. Jeffrey

Hi Sam,

Answering machine! :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

A great analysis of the final episode here:

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2004/06/07/sopranos_finale/

You may need a free Salon "Day Pass" to read the whole thing.

Here's a nice quote:

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Did you catch how they focused in on the sword and his hand right before he headed out to whack Tony B.?

BTW, what Van Morrison song was that at the end and what album is it on?

18. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Ugh - Tony never had to whack his cousin now that Johnny and his Crew are pinched. How frustrating!

JEFF!

19. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Glad Tidings from Moondance.

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Funny, when they played the Faces, my wife looks over to me and says, "hey, it's your favorite!" because I've been listening to a lot of early Rod stuff. Last night, she looks over and says the same thing, because I've been spinning my WB7A copy of Moondance constantly! :)

21. Jeffrey

Hi Jeff,

I disagree...... Tony had internal family problems that required him to whack Tony B.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

22. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

You're right! Look at this:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/07/tv.sopranos.finale.ap/index.html

"Those were the highlights from the episode, titled "All Due Respect." It will leave fans hanging for at least 18 months until the series returns for its last 10 episodes."

18 MONTHS!

JEFF!

23. Jeffrey

Hi,

I thought the lyrics were PERFECT for the show and the sections it was utilized. Of course, the obvious "We'll send you glad tidings from New York" brought me great laughter when New York was marching in. And the slightly less obvious "meet them halfway with love, peace and persuasion" message that Tony's own people were trying so desparately to get through to him. And the possible message that, a more with it, Uncle Junior would have delievered to Tony when asked for advice "believe no lies, dry your eyes and realize".

Great choice,
    Jeffrey :)

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

"Glad Tidings"
    http://www.harbour.sfu.ca/~hayward/van/

And they'll lay you down low in the easy
    And the lips that you kiss will say Christmas.
    And the miles that you traveled the distance

So believe no lies, dry your eyes and realize
    That surprise
    La, la, la, la la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la...
    And the businessmen will shake hands and talk in numbers
    And the princess will wake up from her slumber
    Then all the knights will step forth with their arm bands
    And ev'ry stranger you meet in the street will make demands
    So believe no lies, then dry your eyes and realize
    That surprise
    La, la, la...

Bridge:
    And we'll send you glad tidings from New York
    Open up your eyes sa you may see
    Ask you not to read between the lines
    Hope that you will come in right on time
    And they'll talk to you while you're in trances
    And you'll visualize not taking any chances
    But meet them halfway with love, peace and persuasion
    And expect them to rise for the occasion
    Don't it gratify when you see it materialize
    Right in front of your eyes
    That surprise

And they'll lay you down low and easy

I like the line, " And you'll visualize not taking any chances." Sounds like Tony's dream. :)

25. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I also liked the classic line from Carmela to Chris about Adriana: "there's more fish in the sea." There were some real funny lines last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.