Sorry but the whole 1990s Music makes me cringe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello music people

I am 47.

Admittedly from about 17 years old I got bored with current music because it seemed to lack balls & start to listen to older music (1954-1982)

I was prime age in the 1990s to check stuff out & indeed I saw many bands & bought CDs from the era

However today in 2014 I do not feel the slightest bit Nostalgic for 1990s music . In fact strangely it sounds more dated to me than 50s or 60s music.

Brit Pop, Grunge, Dance.....STINKS. I was even in a band in the 1990s & we were rehearsing at Terminal Studios next to Radiohead. Didn't care for their music then or now. Our band once supported Kula Shaker & we blew them off stage!! (Royal Standard Walthamstow 1995 empty audience afterwards is my evidence).

Agree , disagree or do I need my head tested

Thank you

2. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

it's good for you! i think different! have a great day

Dodoz, Oliver, LivingForever and 52 others like this.
  3. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

As with most decades, I like some of it. I had Rhino's Whatever box set and ripped about a disc and a half's worth of tracks before selling it.

Terry likes this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have no use for grunge but my favourite songs list from the decade includes the Trash Can Sinatras, Pulp, Manic Street Preachers, McCarthy, House of Love, Martin Newell, Rialto, Cinerama, Mark Burgess, the Heart Throbs, the Milltown Brothers, and the like.

I like the '60s first and foremost (I'm almost 60) with a side of '70s and '80s. The '90s do come off a bit weak by comparison (though not as bad as 2000-present), but there are some quality songs in there.

5. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Your are not alone i'm afraid to tell you its the age in part.....

Personally 1991 was such an amazing year..
    1) U2 - Achtung Baby
    2) Metallica - Black Album
    3) Guns n roses - Use your illusion 1 & 2
    4) Van Halen - ****

At those times i believed amazing records were released each year and more were following through the years to come, i was so wrong it was that amazing year only. :cry:

6. olsen

olsen Senior Member

:0

Cowboy Kim likes this.
  7. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I am 31 years old and love my 90s to death.

Tori Amos, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Beck, Weezer, Tool, Soundgarden, the Chili Peppers, Snoop Dogg, Depeche Mode, Cake, Smashing Pumpkins, RATM, The Offspring, Counting Crows, 2 Pac, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Warren G, Foo Fighters, Salt-N-Pepa, Dream Theater... so many great albums (to my ears and in my opinion, of course).

Dodoz, Oliver, sattelight and 32 others like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I really don't understand these types of threads. I guess people just want their opinions validated.

The 1952-82 era of music was chalk full of, well, ****e. I know because I love that era too and came across enough dross to know it wasn't perfect.

The 90's were a lot of fun music wise but if you're stuck in the past then, yes, you aren't likely going to have much fun in that decade.

Then again if you're listing Kula Shaker as a band that was meant to be good in the 90's it's probably why you think that decade stunk music wise. :)

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My favourite decades are.
    1-60s/70s tied
    2-80s
    3-50s/90s tied
    4-0000s/0010s a big drop.
    Like to think I'm wrong.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  10. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, lots of those have roots in the eighties. Most of them had records out by the end of that decade, though a few only released singles and EPs. Cinerama formed in the 90s but its still an offshoot of The Wedding Present, so there we go.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes you are correct in your timeline. After '82 there are a lot of repeats with few artists sounding both original and great. The Punk stuff had run it's course from.77-82, metal would turn to hair metal (wow what a development).

Corporations would take over and marketing product would become more important than the music. By the late '90 things were winding to a new low, with audiences accepting poor quality singers and unoriginal music passing as original. Then the loudness wars came.......

12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yeah...Fugazi, Sea and Cake, High Llamas, Stereolab, Slint, Sleep, Shudder To Think are all terrible bands.

13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

[​IMG]

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The 90's is a landmark decade in the world of music to me. So many great albums from wonderful bands and artists.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

More classic masterpieces in the single year 1973 than 1990 to 2000 IMO.

LitHum05, SonyTek, yesstiles and 17 others like this.
  16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I really enjoyed a lot of the music that was released in the 1990s.

17. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I'd like to add Belle & Sebastian, Ben Folds Five and Radiohead. Perhaps they are "terrible" as well. ;)

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

A lot of "mainstream" music in the 90's was indeed lousy, but that doesn't mean there isn't a wealth of other great music from that time period. Name any specific year from that decade and I could give you a list of fantastic albums.

19. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Nirvana, NIN, AIC, Sonic Youth, World Party

Other than that, not much. Page and Plant, Neil Young

mooseman likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Waterboys, XTC, Replacements, Midnight Oil

All great acts as well!

21. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I'm 36.. I was in high school in the Nineties and at the time I didn't like a lot of current bands and artists. I quickly gravitated towards 60s and 70s music and jazz records because I thought most modern music was pretty awful, especially guitar based music (I did like some of the grunge bands when they were new, but that music hasn't aged very well for me).

90s stuff I still enjoy and listen to occasionally: Stereolab, High Llamas, Orbital, Future Sound of London, Tortoise, Black Crowes, Jayhawks, Wu Tang Clan, some hiphop (Beastie Boys, Tribe Called Quest, Nas, De La Soul).

22. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The 90's is by far the least represented decade in my music collection.

That being said, I do like the following from that period; Alison Krauss, Diana Krall, Oasis, Sade, Enya, The Corrs, Groove Armada, Jamiroquai, Moby, Pink Martini, Sarah McLachlan, Savage Garden.

Texastoyz and Regandron like this.
  23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Inspired by this thread, I'm listening to Oasis right now (and liking it).

goodiesguy, agundy, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yay! Another thread for classic rock exclusivists to validate their biases. Oh how fun!

25. The greatest music was made in the time between Louis Armstrong picking up his horn and Miles putting his down.
    (Plus the stuff made after Miles died.) :tiphat:

Mr Sam, melstapler and dino77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.