Sorting your Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zombeels, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a question on how you people sort certain artists. The artists in question are bands like:

Los Bravos
    Los Halos
    Los Campesinos!
    Os Mutantes

Do you use the Los and Os and file them under those letters or do you use the second name? The reason I ask is because I have seen them sorted both ways at various music stores.

2. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I have a lot of “Los” and “Os” bands in my collection, and I treat them the same way as “The.” Os Mutantes goes under ‘M’, Los Shakers under ‘S’, etc.

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I don't own any, but if I did I'd alphabetize them like this:

Los Bravos
    Los Campesinos!
    Los Halos
    Os Mutantes

lightbulb, Jeff Kent and Kiss73 like this.
  4. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Sort by the first name first ("Los", "Os"), sort second name alphabetically as well.

Los Bravos
    Los Campesinos
    Los Halos

Brendan K and Thievius like this.
  5. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Absolutely! The other criteria does not make sense as Los and Os means "The" in their native language.

6. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

So... if you had any The The albums, you'd file them under 'T', but not for the first "The", but rather the second "The".

7. Exactly like this.

Best Wishes,
    David

8. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

How would these names be ordered in an encyclopedia?

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Ultimately you have to sort them where you'll most likely go to look for them. I'll look for The Police under P, but Os Mutantes under O so they are filed accordingly.

10. bobc

bobc Bluesman

It has to be that way. Los Lobos under Lo!

More tricky is how to file:

Dr John - Dr, Do or J? I file under Dr
    Professor Longhair - P or L? I can never find my "Fess" records. Maybe they're filed under New Orleans, or R&B, or Blues, not Jazz I think...

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

In the end, the owner sorts and alphabetizes their music collection according to their preference, and cognizance of the band’s name.

For example, if looking for a Los Lobos CD, my mind does not immediately think “THE wolves”.
    I understand others might, so they’d file that band under the word “Lobos”.

YMMV

wvsteveo, Gaslight and Chemguy like this.
  12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Dr John is in the Rs :cheers:

strummer101, bobc, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I just alphabetize the way critics do, rather than try to figure it out myself. For example, for whatever reason they have Little Richard under “L” but Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf under “W,” and so do I.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  14. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

A record haunt that I go to had a copy of the US RCA LP by Il Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza, which included Morricone. It was priced ridiculously low. I am sure that the only reason it was not snapped up instantly is that they filed it under I for Il rather than G for Gruppo. I happily scarfed it up. Although I file it under M for Morricone. ;)

crispi and lightbulb like this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Little Richard is under P
    Muddy Waters under M for Morganfield not Muddy
    Howlin’ Wolf is under B

:cheers:

ashlee5, SOONERFAN and lightbulb like this.
  16. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This is a variant of threads I've seen in the past, so my reply is the same: I go with my initial gut feeling, because when I'm looking later that's likely where I'd check first.

So, for the examples in question, I'd put under L and O respectively.

GLENN, Heavy Music, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That’s the last way I would alphabetize them! :D

Dennis Metz likes this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

In this example, for me it would be L, M and H.

Muddy Waters was a little tricky but I'm pretty sure I'd look under M first so that's where it would go. Stage names I might use the last name but it depends on how prominent it is...for example Kendrick Lamar still goes under L, not D.

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Depends on the publication. I think the library standard would be to treat "Los" and such the same way as "the" in English and catalogue by the main name. In The Fischer-Dieskau Book of Lieder, however, compiler (and celebrated lieder singer) Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau chose to alphabetize by the first word, be it a "the" or "a" equivalent or not. In my own catalogue, I've chosen to follow his example. In a private collection--where the goal is for the owner to be able to locate things easily, not to serve a broad general public--I think consistency is more important than conformity to an institutional rule.

lightbulb likes this.
  21. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

Os Mutantes (The Mutants) also dropped the "Os" by their second album, so definetely under 'M'.

22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It totally depends on how many CDs/record you have that start with "Los."

23. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

In this case The The albums would be in the same order of sortation. How do you file Tiny Tim? Under Tiny or Tim? Has the Alice Cooper situation ever been settled on this forum?

24. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I'd probably sort them under "L" and "O" because it's easier. I wouldn't have to remind myself that Los, Os, Las, Il, Die, Das, Les, Ouch, etc are all foreign words for "The". Besides, if Las Vegas and Los Angeles can come before New York in most lists, then I won't feel so bad about my filing system.

25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Any bands that start with "The," get filed under the next word. Of course not being Spanish speaking, I put Los Straitjackets under L not S. Yes, I admit not consistent at all, but that's how I roll. It's my collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.