SOTA questions (plural)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhxJohn, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

That's impressive. Seems like every cartridge, based on stylus tip mass and cantilever size, can’t do everything perfectly. That's just physics. Add a tonearm that is a less than perfect match and you might hear some differences in the way, for instance, it render horns. I sure can.

I suspect, at the end of the day, it would take a linear tracker to really get it right.

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't doubt that. But Cyclone Ranger is saying that he does not like the SOTA sound and MANY do not. And you keep insisting it is the tonearm/cartridge.

3. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I think he is insisting that is very, very difficult to separate out the sonic contributions of a turntable from the sonic contributions of the cartridge/tonearm.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

1.) I don’t keep insisting anything.
    2.) I highlighted one aspect of his description that, in my experience, is often dependent on the cartridge used rather than the table itself.

I've heard my own table sound all sorts of different ways. I’ve had six different cartridges on it. I have opinions.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

you can print your own alignment protractor using that well known program found here:

Conrad's Free Stuff

template generator

6. PhxJohn

Easy to do by swapping tonearms and cartridges.

7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

well, in the mid 90s, i would have put it around the planar 2 or 3. Thinking about it , may have come with a sumiko tonearm which were pretty popular oems at the time, they are decent. It had a much more massive plinth than the rega and a plexi? platter, with its own baiscally glued on mat. I wouldn't have called it lightweight, it didn't ring too much or anything. I remember my non-audiophile roommates at the time being impressed with the sound. not sure about the speed stability as it was in my blissful days of innocence about such things. I think my upgrade from that was a P25, which, yes, more musical and involving, but I tended to notice the fact that it ran fast...

PhxJohn likes this.
  8. PhxJohn

I got some of the Moonbeam info here: SOTA Moonbeam Turntable --- Nice Price and a Smooth Performer That's Easily Upgraded
    So many brands run fast these days that I now insist on adjustable speed for any new purchase.

9. PhxJohn

I am really only interested in the Jewel and up. My Rega is upgraded to the hilt and I have no interest at all in the Moonbeam, Comet, or Satellite. I should have made that extra clear in my first post. I did allude to it.

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

that's fine we were just commenting on sota models we had experience with.

11. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

but anyways despite what some people have said i suspect that the SOTA models you are interested are going to be a bit better than an upgraded RP1 if that is what you are currently using.

12. PhxJohn

Maybe. Only listening will determine that.

13. PhxJohn

The upgrades were RB202, 12mm Rega platter, TT-PSU, RP10 mat, VTA spacer, Groovetracer counterweight, Groovetracer Reference jeweled subplatter and bearing, Groovetracer endstub, Rega 24 volt motor, white belt, and Ortofon Quintet Blue. It sounds pretty darn good on any kind of music. And the icing...an Ortofon Quintet Blue. If you put any weight on Stereophile ratings, the Jewel got a 'D'. So did the RP1. The Sapphire got a 'C'. So did any version of the Rega 3. My turntable is beyond a 3 in some respects. I would put it at Class 'C'.

14. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I have had he Moonbeam for about a year now, bought from The Needle Doctor. About six months ago upgraded the Rega arm with an Acoustic Signature 500 made a big difference and my local dealer gave me a $200 trade in value for the Rega to boot.

Also have the Phoenix Enginering PSU and Roadrunner hooked up, running a 2M back for a cart.

I think that it sound fantastic!!

jupiterboy and PhxJohn like this.
  15. PhxJohn

I bet it does. I had never seen that tonearm before. Very nice. Did your Moonbeam come with the RB101 or RB202 tonearm ? They did change from the cheaper one to the better one during the production run.

16. PhxJohn

Actually, I stated it. Still no answer about whether the Jewel has the 22 pound lead/mdf block or if SOTA builds tables when ordered. I think they do as one large mail order company said that they did not have any.

17. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Maybe, though I rather doubt it, given the dealer who sold the Sapphire to my friend (extremely meticulous and 'on the ball').

And FWIW, reviews have mentioned the very same negative that I mention.

So, the main caveat I can really throw out against what I heard is that this was a long time ago, i.e. a late '80s Sapphire. Later series Sapphires may possibly sound better in this regard – or not – but I have not heard them to judge.

And of course its possible to system-build in such a way as to reduce or cancel such a negative... tube amps, a cart that's kinder/gentler in that freq range, etc.

Finally, there's individual sensitivity to such things. My friend noticed the hard upper mids/lower treble, but was not too put off by it... he liked other things about the sound enough to forgive that and then some. He was a happy SOTA owner.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  18. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

It cam with he 202

19. PhxJohn

You gave a lot of good advice. I think you were more objective than most. But, one thing will not change....I am not going to buy what I cannot listen to and I do not think that I am the only one. Flamed or not, I think SOTA is a 'boutique' brand.

20. PhxJohn

The 202 is much better than the 101. As soon as I decided to get a nice cartridge, I knew the 101 had to go. I didn't even like the looks of it.

21. Cyclone Ranger

Yah, if you can't really hear it in advance of purchase due to a skimpy dealer network, then that's a deal-breaker, for sure.

That's why I myself wouldn't buy from one of those 'online-only' turntable makers (are any still around, even?), even if their TTs were as good as they say they are. They could be good, and I still might not like their particular house sound. So, gotta hear it first.

Might be different for something I already know the sound of and had liked in the past... early Linn Sondeks, Systemdek, Michell Gyrodec, Goldmund Studio, etc.

22. PhxJohn

I may take a ride to Scottsdale to hear a VPI. It is one of those 'by appointment only' dealers which I do not like because I don't like the pressure. I am an impulsive buyer. I went to one of the two HiFi stores here in Phoenix. I wanted to hear the RP1 and/or Pro-Ject debut something. The response was 'not at this price point'. I left never to return. I immediately went to the other dealer and bought their demo RP1. I knew it would be perfect as it was the demo. Since then, I have spent thousands at the nice dealership. I will see what models of VPI the Scottsdale dealer has. If it is $6K, I think I will pass.

23. PhxJohn

They have a Prime Scout. That might be interesting. Problem is lack of a dustcover. It is dusty here in Phoenix and I have a cat.

juno6000 likes this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

Yup. If a dealer won't demo product, then they don't get my business either. It's more than half the point of buying from a dealer rather than online.

Or IOW, if you're not going to add value in all the ways dealers are supposed to, then what good are you? :sigh:

And the whole snobby 'we won't demo lowly $500 equipment' thing is part of why many ppl hate high-end audio dealers to begin with. It hurts the rep of high-end dealers as a whole.

If you're unwilling to demo the $500 turntable, then don't carry the friggin' $500 turntable. Or you better at least have the best return policy ever, with a lengthy try-out period and no 're-stocking' fee.

PhxJohn likes this.
  25. PhxJohn

My dealer even picks up and delivers. I am too old to carry a $2k turntable up and down steps. I have the only $2400 RP1 probably.

juno6000 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.