Soul Asylum

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Oct 11, 2017.

1. hardknox

hardknox Well-Known Member

I have a translucent blue vinyl copy of "The Horse They Rode in On". I've had it since the album was first released. Is that pretty common?

Dodoz likes this.
  2. Stones Blah

Stones Blah Member

I saw them open for Keith and the Winos. A great night from both bands.

Dodoz likes this.
  3. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I always liked Grave Dancers Union. Also their cover of Victoria Williams' Summer of Drugs from Sweet Relief:

4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The first Lemonheads album is also VERY Hüsker Dü :) They had such an impact.

Funnily enough, i have a Lemonheads bootleg and Evan Dando said "stay tuned for Soul Asylum". They were on the same bill/tour.

vamborules likes this.
  5. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I wish I could have seen the face of the people working at A&M when "Grave Dancers Union" became a platinum selling album...on Columbia, after they dropped the band :D

6. mr. steak

mr. steak Active Member

Made to Be Broken and Hang Time are both chock full of great songs. MtBB is more diverse with it's approach and thus gets my top spot.

This is a great outtake:

7. Curwin

Curwin New Member

Always loved the guitar solo in Just like Anyone. Pure 90s lead

8. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Forum Resident

ditto all of that, I was at the same show. I'd say they were THE BEST LIVE BAND ON THE PLANET from 1988-92. I think of Soul Asylum as contemporaries of those guys.

bonus fun facts:

1) Bob Mould produced Made To Be Broken

2) that is Soul Asylum frontman Dave Pirner yelling "**** you man" during the cops breaking up the party intro to the Replacements' "Kids Don't Follow" off the Stink EP. It was actually a recording of the cops breaking up a party.