Sound City movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Snashforce, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Please Bring a nice BIG box so there is room for all of us................. what a drag this cd is mastered like that , it Defeats the whole purpose of this whole film ........ really wondering about the Vinyl .

2. RichieSnare

RichieSnare Well-Known Member

Good to see Dave is keeping rock alive! :righton: Without him rock would of ended up in a graveyard for the rest of history!

3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm wondering too! :) Does anyone have the vinyl version?

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

You know what...I'll ask this in the music forum, maybe a better place...

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I just finished it and I'm going to watch it again and again. Every studio should have a bio like this done.

6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I received the Blu-Ray yesterday and put it on with the intention of a quick look at the menu. Ended up watching the whole thing!

Robberbride likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Anyone?

8. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

Heard it's great. Haven't seen it yet but I did watch the recent BBC special on 'the vinyl age' and it was excellent.

9. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Very good movie. Now must have the soundtrack.

10. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

11. jack88will

jack88will New Member

Great thanks for trailer link.

12. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Well, that just sucks.

13. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

It was alright. The part actually focusing on Sound City was great, but watching a bunch of guys, legends or not, hanging around Dave Grohls studio making horribly mediocre music for the last 40 minutes or so made me want to turn it off.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I think the soundtrack is excellent. Don't care about the DR level. Stevie Nicks needs to do an entire album with the Sound City Players produced by Butch Vig! That track is the best thing she's recorded, and the best she's sounded in at least 20 years IMO.

DrJ likes this.
  15. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

the rick springfield track (TheMan That Never Was) is great as well, just vintage rick. his last record (Songs For the End of the World) is great as well.

chad

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed! Was great until that part, but the rest is worth watching...just turn it off for the last 40 min!

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Played about half of the Blu-ray Disc last night -- very interesting doc.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I didn't mind the end, though it does lose some momentum. Did turn it down at that point, though. Too bad Grohl, Rubin and others don't realize the damage done at the last step.

19. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the film all the way through, I love watching recording sessions so the last 40 minutes were just fine with me. Really cool seeing Grohl, Josh Homme and Trent Reznor together.

20. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

Just watched this documentary for the second time. Loved it all, except some of the end recording session stuff. However, I really like the song the Rick Springfield did with Grohl and the gang about as much as anything anybody did. Great story about some incredible years of recorded music. WOW!! Bravo Dave!

cabowabodude5150 likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'd held off on this due to the price, but Amazon dropped it to only 99 cents for a three day rental in HD. So I streamed it through my PS3 last night and really enjoyed it.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just seen it. A great film. Nice one Dave!

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Trent Reznor's comments about how musicians (mis) use technology essentially encapsulated the problem with a lot of new artists: good or interesting ideas that aren't properly developed... the willingness to 'fix' things using Pro Tools rather than taking another crack at it...

24. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

Fantastic!!! Probably the best music/ studio doc in a long time. It streams free on Amazon Prime'

drasil and George P like this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.