Sound Forge Batch Converter Problem: HELP!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rontokyo, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

I just used the Batch Converter to dither a dozen files from 32 to 16 bit. Opening the files upon completion, I discover that the files no longer have any waveform. I'd say they've been erased completely but each one still shows a specific time and size in mb. a] What happened? b] Is there any way to recover my files?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Darn! This happened to me once when I had the batch converter, but it was so long ago that I don't recall.

I can suggest that in the future, save your processed files to another folder so the originals are protected.

I also suggest that you upgrade the version if you haven't already.

I would like to have the Batch converter again, but my serial number won't work on my new XP computer. Sony won't help because I lost my credit card purchase information for SF 5.0.

Other than that, post your problem here:

http://forums.sonymusic.com/thread.jsp?forum=520&thread=2252077&tstart=45&trange=15

3. rontokyo

Thanks, Grant. Good advice, but it may be too late for this particular project. A lot of work down the drain, unless someone can come up with a fix.

4. Grant

Actually, it's why I prefer Audition for my batching. I've never had a single slip up!

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Never a problem with Batch Converter here, but keep in mind that the Converter in Sound Forge 5.0 is a built-in feature where in 6.0 and later, it is a separate program. Even when I used it in 5.0, though, I thought I remember it saving my files as copies of the originals, in a separate directory. There should be something in the options to set which directory the processed files go to, or an appendix it adds to your original filename (which is what I did).

I can only think that you had something set up improperly in your batch of filters when you ran it. But alas, can't think of a way to recover anything. :(

6. Grant

No, it is a seperate program for 5.0. I have it. It was last intergrated into version 4.5. But, the seperate Batch converter came free to we owners of SF 5.0. But, It will not run unless I have the serial number for 5.0 handy, which I don't, because I now have it on a different computer. SF serial numbers are based on hardware for a particular computer, somewhat like Windows XP.

I have a functioning copy of 6.0, but it still will not allow ne to use it for the Batch Converter version 5.

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Wow...been awhile since I've had older SF versions. If that's the case, I may have leapfrogged 5.0. :sigh: Do you have 5.0a, or 5.0b, for the batch converter?

8. Grant

I have 5.0. I never did get those patches. But, I am using 6.0 and have no interest in 7.0.

I do have CD Architect 5.0.

9. rontokyo

You're right, that option exists. But sadly I didn't think of doing that until after the fact. [Experience is such a great teacher.]

10. Grant

Not to rub it in, Ron, but I almost always choose or create another folder for my dithered-down files in case I need to go back to the original 32-bit ones. If I know for sure that all I may need to do is remove a few more clicks via interpolation, I just work on the resulting 16-bit files. If, during that stage, I need to do more work, I revert back to the 32-bit files and replace the 16-bit file. It's a bad deal to process a 16-bit file after you have dithered it down. It really degrades the sound.

I never delete the whole project until I am sure I have what I want on CD-R. Obviously, I do a lot of playback of the album at every phase of the project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.