Sound quality of Universal SACDs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GabeG, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabeG

GabeG New Member Thread Starter

So far, from my limited sampling of the Getz and Muddy Waters, I am not terribly impressed.

Can other people give their impressions of these and other Universal releases?

- Gabe

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Getz is not bad...just not spectacular!!!
    My MoFi gives it a run for the money!

3. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

I find Getz/Gilberto and Ella & Louis to be outstanding. I can't imagine how they could be any better.

4. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Yes, my Ella & Louis arrived in the mail last week, and I find the sound on this intoxicating! I am tempted to buy the 180g vinyl reissue just to see how the sound compares, but I think I will save my money. I am very happy with the sound on the SACD.

BTW, it was mastered by Kevin Reeves.

5. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Very true on the Ella & Louis, superb sound, love it to death! On the Getz/Gilberto, I think Mo-Fi has the edge, although the edge is razor thin:)

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Couldn't agree more on Ella; Getz, though, might be more dependent on the audio system I'd hear it on. I have both the MoFi & the Verve Master Edition, and would have to say I prefer the "VME" over both the MoFi & the SACD, but only very slightly.

Haven't done a comparison of the Muddy Waters to the MoFi yet, but will and report back later.

7. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I haven't heard the SACD, but IMO the differences between the initial Verve CD release and the MoFi aren't too big. The newer VME at least has the same mix I know from my 1960s U.S. LP pressing. Even if it's on the master tape, I just can't stand that big thumping bass. Now and then, I like to play my CDs at a realistic volume level: It's almost impossible to do that with the MoFi - and to be honest, well beyond the capabilities of my SL6s. :laugh:

Arne

8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Can't deny that the bass is overblown (it's in the master). Although I know this is heresey, I keep the subwoofers turned off most of the time, so it's not much of a problem for me.

Although the VME & SACD sound similar (& the MoFi a little colored), I find the SACD a little more etched. Some will like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.