Soundguard record preservative?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylSoul, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone here ever use this? Any Idea what it was made of?
    The advertisements for this stuff used to kill me how the untreated record was just lathing away as being played. Can't believe the better business bureau let the ads fly.

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Soundguard is/was a suspended lubricant in a volatile liquid.

When I used it I thought it gummed records up a bit, but others have had a better response. If you want a lubricant, LAST seems to work just fine and is a lot less invasive.

If you use soundguard your records will be very shiny and static free.

3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Soundguard is a dry lubricant. It was orginally created as a lubricant for the Apollo space program. The lunar rover and other mechanical devices needed a dry lubricant that would not evaporate in a vacuum, and which would not be so sticky as to cause lunar dust to gum up the works. Obviously, this had somewhat limited commercial use, and the developer sought other uses.

I've used it on quite a few records. It did not seem to attact or hold dust other otherwise leave a sticky residue after it had been buffed off the record. The surface of the record did feel smoother after application (as should be the case with a lubricant) and static charge buildup was also reduced. I haven't noticed any long term problems with the product (records that were treated sound good to this day), but, then again, I haven't really tried to make any kind of rigorous comparisons.

4. SuperTMan

SuperTMan New Member

Sound Guard is a great product. Before CDs I had and still have over 300 vinyl records. I would treated brand new with the 'Preservative'. The first play always accumulated residue on the stylus, from then on the records were clean and static free. Beware of imitators, Sound Guard is made by the Ball Corp in Muncie IN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.