Sounds Of Jimmy Smith: 2005 RVG or 2013 SHM-CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Logan S, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan S

Logan S Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love Jimmy's organ sounds on this. Can anybody share some opinions on the sound quality of the two in-print CD versions of this record? Normally I'd look for an earlier McMaster CD, but it doesn't seem that one existed. I understand the RVGs are usually painfully bright (and even nonoised in some instances), and the first batch of the Blue Note SHMs were heavily compressed, although this title was part of the second batch, which I couldn't find any talk of. Perhaps a case of finding the lesser of two evils?

2. Logan S

Anybody?

3. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

These sessions are in the Jimmy Smith Mosaic set and sound very good there (and it's not very expensive). That album was also in the Japan Blue Note Works series. I have the Mosaic set, but sold the BN works disc when I bought that.
    Terry

Logan S likes this.
  4. Logan S

That's odd. Didn't get an alert for that reply. I'm aware of the mosaic set, but it is pretty expensive by my standards, unless it's available somewhere other than amazon, discogs and ebay for less. How was the japan blue note works disc? Compressed? Bright?

5. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Not sure if this will help-- but the SHM-CDs I own in the new Japanese Blue Note 75th Anniversary series are uniformly excellent, as in, the best I've heard the music, better than earlier, domestic redbook issues in all relevant instances. (The ones I own include, by the way, a pair of Larry Young albums, Of Love and Peace and Contrasts, which are both sensational, and very analogue-like. I've also got Herbie's Speak Like a Child, Donald Byrd's Fancy Free, and Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music.)

The strong circumstantial evidence is that the new series features Bernie Grundman's ongoing 24/192 remasters. No compression detectable on the discs I own, btw. Reviews elsewhere, e.g. Organissimo, have been extremely positive, you may want to check out that site.

YMMV, but I would have no hesitation snapping up the SHM-CD.

Logan S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.