Soundsmith Carmen Phono Cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by macster, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macster

macster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just installed it on my VPI Classic 1/300RPM motor. For setup I used the VPI alignment tool. The VTA of the arm is level. The VTF is set to 1.394 and the azimuth was set in the middle of a test lp using a plastic protractor to ensure that the height was the same on both sides. I also am using the 3gm VPI headshell weight. The sound in word "excellent" and a bit better than my M97XE/SAS. The caveat is that I'm still getting use to it. But from what I'm hearing, it's staying. It passed the "playing a crappy record" test that I use when I first install a cartridge which is always a good sign for me.
    Cartridges that I had on this quest include the aforementioned M97XE/SAS/ V15MRSAS/ V15VSAS, Dyna 10X5 which I really liked but ultimately it wasn't cutting it. Also a Soundsmith Othello which was not bad, but about the same as an M97XE. Not worth difference in price. The M97XE/SAS killed the Othello in my system.

[​IMG]
    How I got here. I am getting hum (mechanical) from t the table. It is not audible when listening to records. However when I listen to my cassettes the hum is there. I was not getting this hum with my LP12. To cut to the chase, I narrowed it down to motor resonance. I installed a 300RPM motor ($140.00 + shipping) and it helped a bit. I used the Audioquest dampening material under the motor to no avail.
    The solution, the table will be replaced by an Aries 3, the platter, feet, arm, arm-mount from the Classic will be transplanted to the Aries 3.
    Anyway I'm listening to Sarah Vaughn's Brazilian Romance which I'm recording to my Nak CR7A.
    Last thoughts, I found a cartridge line whose sonic signature I enjoy, whose stylus assemblies are robust enough to survive the occasional whoops (sorry Dynavector). I will also be incremently moving up the Soundsmith line to the Voice.

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

$799.99? That aint cheap. I hope it blows the M97XE away.

3. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Another good recommendation is an AT 33PTG. You need a good step up for this (or any mc) though.

As I've said before, the phono stage is just as important as the cartridge or turntable.

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

No I haven't. I have heard some of Peter's other carts though. And liked them a lot.

5. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I had a Peter Ledermann retipped DL-103R with a ruby cantilever, in an ebony body that was fantastic. I'm sure his carts are great if matched properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.