SoundSmith for Cart Re-tipping: Anyone Used Them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dgsinner, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking I'd like to get a cart re-tipped and I think I remember reading some time back that a forum member had used SoundSmith and liked the results.

Anyone have experience with them?

Dale

2. dgsinner

bumb

No one?

Dale

3. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I have a cartridge there waiting in line for retipping...it has been there since the end of October.
    If you send yours in, be prepared to wait 4-6 months. I've heard that their work is exemplary, however.

4. dgsinner

Wow...I do not want to wait that long...Sheesh.:shake:

Dale

5. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

I had a Denon 103R retipped last year. My wait wasn't quite that long. The end result is worth it, if you can wait. Peter does an outstanding job and is a great guy to do business with.

6. dgsinner

Damn...going that way would save me 75 percent over replacing the cart...which except for the stylus beginning to wear, seems fine...

Dale

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

8. dgsinner

9. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Your wait last year was before Peter was in the hospital late last year for a month and accumulated a large backlog of work.

The current lead time is likely more representative of actual lead times than when you had yours done last year (which presumably was before this backlog accumulated due to his illness).

10. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Right, I was going to mention that. Peter nearly died last year. The fact that he's still retipping cartridges is wonderful even if he has a backlog. I've heard some before and after needledrops of a cartridge fitted with his ruby cantilever and line-contact stylus. It sounded to me like it was quite the upgrade.

11. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Which cart?
    Depending on the model you might want to look to the original manufacturer for a re-tip.

12. dgsinner

I've already done that. The original manufacturer doesn't retip -- they give you a trade-in discount on a new cart, which will probably be twice as much as a just a new stylus. I don't believe I need a whole new cart -- just the diamond.

Dale

13. boyerd001

boyerd001 Forum Resident

Might also email Expert Stylus in the UK:

[email protected]

They do excellent work also and at one point in the '90s were the default repair facility for Koetsu when Koetsu was not producing cartridges. I've had them do re-tips for me, but be prepared for a 8-12 week wait depending on their workload.

They do provide a wide range of stylus styles and also of cantilevers materials if you want to go that route also.

Dale (also!)

14. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Another thumbs up for Peter, he's a great guy.

15. 2002ss335

2002ss335 Member

16. 2002ss335

2002ss335 Member

Should be "possibility", I can't seem to edit my post.
    Regards,
    Todd

17. olddude55

olddude55 Forum Resident

Soundsmith retipped a Grace Ruby for me last year. Turnaround time was 5 weeks. That was in February, before Peter Lederman got sick.
    I thought about sending another cart up to him late in 2008; at that time, the turnaround was 10 weeks.
    I don't have the Grace anymore, having foolishly sold it (it was not well matched to the tonearm I was using at the time), however I recently bought one of Soundsmith's SMMC4 cartridges for use in a Beogram TX-2. I'm sold on Soundsmith's carts; the SMMC4 is the cheapest in the line, but it's better than any Shure or AT I've ever heard.

Soundsmith does excellent work; that Grace was as good as new.

18. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Soundsmith received my Grace Ruby on October 23. I called them a week later and they told me my cartridge would be serviced in 10-12 weeks. On March 9, 2009, I called to ask the status of my repair. I was told on that date they would likely get to to my cartridge for repair in approx 10-12 days. I called on again March 27, 14 days later, and was told they would likely get to to my cartridge for repair in approx 10-12 days. As of March 23, Soundsmith has had my Grace for 5 months....

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I sent my Dynavector to them in December I got it back last week. Maybe there is a problem with your Grace.

20. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I have heard some of his work, which is exemplary :)

21. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

22. lofreek

lofreek New Member

Peter did a fantastic job on my Dynavector. Highly recommended.

23. dgsinner

Which model?

Dale

24. lofreek

lofreek New Member

DV-20XH

25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How much does it cost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.