Soundstage Direct Customer Service has Massively Dropped the Ball

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Ironclaw, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey music fans,
    Just to let you guys know that SSD may take weeks or longer to get back to you regarding an issue. I had ordered several albums in early May, one was back ordered (perfectly acceptable). They took two weeks to inform me of this (not acceptable). Then, they never emailed to switch out or cancel the back ordered item - all other businesses have done so. I asked about switching out the item of my own accord, and didn’t hear back for another week (too long). Then, it’s been four weeks since then, and no shipment. Email from two weeks back goes unanswered. Three call messages taken by the phone staff, and no return call. And, today (Wednesday) apparently they’re closed for inventory. I thought others would like to know of this debacle, and choose to shop where customer service is valued.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  2. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

Hi,

We have some major changes in the works here at SoundStageDirect which is going to improve your customer experience immensely. In the process, however, it's caused delays not only with our shipments, but has resulted in our team falling behind on getting back to customers. In addition, 3 out of 4 of our customer service agents had to miss time over the last few weeks due to personal reasons.

Rest assured, we are all working overtime now to fix the situation and you should see dramatic changes in response time over the next few days. In the meanwhile, please feel free to reach out to me directly via cell phone at 609-575-3400.

Thanks everyone for your patience and sorry for any inconvenience,
    Seth

3. Ironclaw

I thank you for your response. And, I figured that some SSD staff may be among the forum visitors. In addition to alerting others to potential customer service issues, I wanted to remind those in the company, that it is customer service that is the bedrock of loyal clientele. Anyways, it seems that there are improvements in the works, and I wouldn’t rule out my shopping with SSD again. These changes are good news. I think the store has many fine products and with a new, improved customer service commitment, will be among the go-to stores for audiophile gear and vinyl for years to come.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Yeah, I've had an in-stock SSD order "processing" without shipment or any email updates since early May. When I inquired on 6/22 for a status update, I received an email on 6/26 relaying much of the same info as Seth outlined above. I've always had great experiences with SoundstageDirect in the past, so I'm willing to be patient, but it would be nice if some notice went out to current customers waiting for shipments giving details on what's going on and some expected resolution date. Instead I just get multiple new emails regarding sales and new records in stock. There's no way I'm placing any additional orders until I see some movement on the long overdue current order...

rod and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. MYKE

MYKE Not Taking The Bait

04/04/2011 :

(can't get the quote thing to work on the old SSD thread )

1 The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 (Box Set) (On Sale)UNIM-UNI-1919 $269.99 (That's $100.00 OFF !?!?!?! their price and Acoustic Sound's price too !!!!!

This will always be my fondest memory of SSD. Arrived completely protected, and in Mint condition. I will grab on the way out of a fire !!!

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin

I appreciate Seth (who I believe is the owner of SSD) for responding here. I used to order all the time from SDD and would do so again, but the last straw for me was that it seemed nothing I wanted to order was ever "in stock". It seemed a few years back that SSD would stock less items, and it would take a week or two to get something that everyone else (Amazon, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, my local store, etc) would have in stock.

I reasoned that it must have been a cash flow problem, in that they stocked less, and only ordered an item for shipment when a customer ordered said item.

I hope when Seth indicates, they are going to improve immensely it means stocking items for shipment when released as opposed to relying on pre-orders or actual orders before obtaining the item for shipment to the customer.

The reason I liked ordering from SSD, them being in PA and I in NJ, when I got expedited (free) shipping for ordering a certain amount - I would receive the item(s) the next day if the item was in stock!!

MYKE likes this.
  7. Further

Further Forum Resident

Wow, you guys are way more understanding then I would be. A company is entitled to be having any issues it might have but failing to notify paying customers of what’s happening is unacceptable. A simple note on the site or mass email to subscribers explaining the situation goes a long way. Simply ignoring them isn’t going to help anything.

In this case, I do give Seth credit for replying here but it really shouldn’t come down to having to complain on a public forum to find out what’s going on with your order. Trust is a big issue for me when it comes to giving people my business and once that is broken, I take my business elsewhere.

black sheriff, rod, jimhb and 4 others like this.
  8. Shawn

Shawn Forum Resident

9. glide

glide Forum Resident

Not sure what has been going on as of late but shipments have been delayed, there have been longer waits for customer service interaction, etc but I have always received what I ordered, at the price I ordered, in excellent condition, or in rare instances, received a refund when an item was truly unavailable.

Hope they can ramp up and get some additional help in there. It's a great small business and I am happy to keep supporting them.

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've been ordering from SSD on and off for about ten years. One thing I have to hand them is their high quality consistency in packaging and this is what mainly has me going back to them; I have NEVER received a damaged item from them, including box sets. The last couple of years have not been "great", I will say that. But I've had enough phone conversation time with Seth (in which he called ME concerning past issues)to know that he is very sincere in his efforts to get things up and running as in prior years. As I had said elsewhere, I wondered if their branching out into Audio equipment sales slowed things up a bit in the vinyl department. Whichever the case,,,Seth..if you're reading this, I wish you all the best in the "improvements" and I still consider myself a customer.

RTurner likes this.
  11. Ironclaw

Finally spoke with a person in charge. It’s going to be an indefinite number of weeks (possibly more than a month — three months total then) on 3 titles that are out of stock, but definitely not out of print. For instance, I could order Diary by SDRE direct-ly (direct meaning shortest or quickest) from Sub Pop and get it by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. This is a bit much.

12. MARTHY

MARTHY Well-Known Member

I've been ordering from SoundStage for about two years now; spent hundreds of dollars because I typically order 3 LPs at a time in order to get the free shipping. *Every* order has been late, often by many weeks. I waited over a month for one order earlier this year, then decided to inquire via chat: was told that one of the LPs was awaiting repress -- and we all know that a repress could take months, if not longer. So my question is/was: Why didn't someone contact me to tell me this? Why must I follow-up every bloody order to find out the status? With that LP, I simply swapped the colored vinyl awaiting repress with the black vinyl, and lo and behold, the order shipped the next day. So now I'm waiting *six* weeks for the Prodigal Son album by Ry Cooder, an LP that I could have had five wks ago had I bought it anywhere else, but it was a preorder as one of my three LPs to get the free shipping (I talked SSD into shipping me the other 2 LPs as the wait was simply too long). So two wks after the album was released, I did the online chat and was told the LP would be in, in a week to 10 days; two wks later I was told the LP would be in, in a week to 10 days. On Friday, June 22, having received no ship notification, I left a msg with SSD's answering service (because "chat" had been removed from their website, and they weren't answering their phone). My message? Either the LP ships today, June 22, or cancel the order and give me a full refund. And guess what? The order shipped that day (and just arrived yesterday, *50* days after the LP's release date!).

So I agree with previous comments that SSD simply could have sent out an email to all of their subscribers stating exactly what Seth stated above. I would have received it via email, folks would have posted the email on this forum and on reddit, etc. and we would have had at least somewhat of an explanation as to all the delays. But, instead, I'm continuously bombarded day after day after day with sales ads to buy this hardware, and these new releases, ad nauseum -- while I wait six weeks for a single LP. And I'm now all caught up with all my orders and there is no way that I will be placing a new order with SoundStage anytime soon. I need more than a belated explanation as to all their delays....

13. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Cancelled an order after waiting 7 weeks for a VPI prime. No credit to my account since cancelling over 1 week ago. Opened a paypal dispute. Unacceptable, IMHO.

rod, Dreaddazzman and Strat-Mangler like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Forum Resident

Ouch! I agree that no customer should go through this.

I myself ordered a VPI Prime B-stock from them in December 2016 but got terrific service and prompt shipping. It was talked about, paid for, and shipped all within 5 days! No idea what transpired since then but am hoping they pull through and manage to win back their (ex) customers' love. I don't doubt Seth's sincerity in wanting to do right by customers but he's only one man and I suspect there's too much work for this one person to do which would lead to delays.

I did a quick search for VPI Prime on their website which states it takes 2-4 weeks to ship. At least, they don't state they're in stock and will be shipped the next day. However, SSD is 1h away from VPI and from what I understand, the two companies have a great working relationship so I have to wonder why it'd take that long to even get stock to ship.

15. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I bought my RP8 from them a while back and customer service was STELLAR to put it mildly. A tremendous deal on a certified used table that still had protective coverings which made me believe it was just opened, re-sealed and shipped. Kudos to Seth!

Just as a FYI, it happens elsewhere too. On June 18th I bought 3 lps and a mofi hybrid from Music Direct. Two lps were preorders, one was "3-7 days" and the hybrid sacd was in stock. I wanted it all shipped at once. On the preorder release day,(the 29th), the two preorders were now 2-3 weeks, the hybrid sacd was backordered, the 3-7 day was available. Today, the 3-7 day lp and the hybrid are in stock and the two 6/29 releases are still listed as available in two to three weeks. I'm sure that when the two backordered lps are ready to ship the two in stock items will be then be backordered. A never ending vicious circle...…….

16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I'm still waiting on an order from June. I have called and left a number of messages and no one call back. I have ordered a lot from them, but unless they change, I am done.

17. The Wall

The Wall Well-Known Member

I emailed them last Friday to cancel my pre-ordered Rolling Stones and Buffalo Springfield box sets since they still didn't have them in stock. To their credit, they responded within a couple of hours stating that the orders had been cancelled and that I would receive a refund within 5-7 days. It's a bit irksome that they can take your money in an instant, but need a week to give it back to you. I'll just be happy to (hopefully) get the money back and be done with this company. Never again.

rod, HankM and Shawn like this.
  18. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

When something is a B-stock or certified used, then they most-likely have these in stock ready to ship. For whatever reason, I was the one contacting VPI after 7 weeks of hearing nothing from SSD about a delay. When they told me nothing even shipped to SSD yet, that's when I cancelled.

Did receive word from PayPal that they approved my refund.

I have no personal vendetta against Seth or SSD. As I've said, he is a nice guy, and I truly hope SSD is successful.

19. 2much Vinyl

2much Vinyl Well-Known Member

I placed an order on June 20, and everything said 3 to 5 days for shipping. Today someone finally answered the phone, they said they had one of the records in stock the rest would take a month or two for me to receive. Don't ask me why as I know Speakers Corner has them in stock. I think they are broke and don't have enough credit or cash to cover orders. @pathguy your probable lucky to have gotten your money back, with this kind of service and the shear numbers of people complaining it can't be long before they close their doors.

rod likes this.
  20. The Wall

The Wall Well-Known Member

2much - I think you're exactly right. I'm still waiting for a $490 refund for my pre-ordered Rolling Stones and Buffalo Springfield box sets (which arrived today thanks to Music Direct!) It will be four weeks this Friday since the Stones set was released and still they show the status as "haven't received stock". How come virtually every other retailer got theirs on time but SSD still has nothing? Only one reason that I can think of. Stupidly I paid with my debit card, so unless SSD refunds me, I'm SOL. Besides the two box sets, I'm still waiting for a couple of records ordered back on June 4th. Very frustrating to say the least.

21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Sorry, but this doesn't work for me. I cancelled an order in late June and was informed of the cancellation on June 30. I'm still waiting for my refund. SSD had no problem collecting my Paypal payment when I ordered but can't seem to send a refund two weeks later. It isn't a staffing problem as it takes about 60 seconds more time when informing me of a cancellation to actually do a Paypal refund. I also can't seem to get anybody to answer my Paypal messages (yes, I've opened a Paypal claim against them). Last time I order from SSD.

rod, Strat-Mangler, HankM and 3 others like this.
  22. krisjay

krisjay Forum Resident

I hope they get things worked out. Sadly, they lost any of my buisness years ago. Just to many options besides them who do not render the buisness model SSD does. Basically just a middle man, in 2018, who really needs a middle man?

Gumboo likes this.
  23. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

I had the same issue. Got a cancellation confirmation on June 22, stating I would have a full refund in 5-7 business days. Still waiting and cannot get a response. This will be my last experience with SSD.

HankM and EddieMann like this.