SoundStage Direct "Problems" thread*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by psulioninks, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

True all that, well Amazon has been selling music widely for many years now, but if you are going to compete with those players, better have a great business model!
    When did SSD start charging the CC's immediately, I suspect that is the starting point of the problems....which I suspect was day one?

2. Shawn

Shawn Forum Resident

MD has an office, but it's not a storefront. You can go to pick up a piece of equipment but it's not a showroom (at least it wasn't last time I checked).

3. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Actually correct you can stop by discuss products, pick up orders etc .... so not exactly a storefront but located in a major metro city with immediate access to product ......

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

100% agree

My only beef

Slick Willie likes this.
  5. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

SSD was charging cards early as long as I can remember, never a huge fan because they gave me a bunch of crap on a return one time .... pretty much soured me on buying from them...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Slick Willie likes this.
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I thought so. They went big time without enough capitol? Order/pay now, then I can pay for the product to ship to you.
    Then at some point things got cray/cray.....Peter pays now, I'll wait for the next order/payment from Paul to pay for your product....and so on.
    Then Seth decided to add gear to the equation to produce bigger/more revenue......after all there are a lot of orders backing up due to using Peter's funds for expenses, so poor Paul...maybe we need to tell him it's a manufacturer backlog. I'll knock a few dollars off for your trouble....

CSH and loudinny like this.
  7. CSH

CSH Active Member

And they got interest free loans from us during the process!

Slick Willie and Shawn like this.
  8. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I agree with this issue regarding Amazon. I won't even browse there for that reason, unless it is a new release, and/or a one version only CD/LP that I am looking for.

9. neilspeed

neilspeed Active Member

I have a gift certificate Sound Stage Direct had issued to me in January for a returned album. I have only now found out they went out of business so I guess I got ripped off too.:cry:

10. CSH

CSH Active Member

Out of curiosity I just checked this out again. I was going to check to see if SSD had placed anything there, especially wanted to see if they were trying to sell any of the LPs I paid for and never received. It looks like Reverb has severed this link! Maybe they received enough negative feedback and inquiries that they decided to cut it.

11. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Speakers Corner posted over on Audiogon about SSD stiffing them for $11,500.

"Hi Guys, I'm from Speakers Corner Records in Germany. We have an open invoice with SSD about almost EUR 10.000,-, which is around $11.500,-. They ordered from us since 2011 in regular terms. The last order was the biggest ever and suddenly they were gone. No payment, no contact, no phone working, nothing. We even had to pay their freight costs to UPS as they gave them a bad check. Since the last order was so big, I'm sure, all this was planned to get the most money out of a sudden disappearance.
    But to you as customers: you can't expect a 20% discount on the price for good analog vinyl reissues! There has to be a certain price level to make the whole thing going. Production, licenses, shipment to the US, dealer margin, aso...Buy from Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct, those companies are reliable and get our product very regularly. Thanks, Christiane"

Strat-Mangler, Shawn, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Incredible.

13. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Not surprised.

14. mcd4959

mcd4959 Forum Resident

As I stated in my earlier post - they have acted with criminal intent if this is true. I hope the big creditors hunt down the responsible parties and bring them to justice. This whole experience has left me really disgusted.

15. Rollintubes

Rollintubes Member

The only trouble with Amazon is their packaging is very poor in most cases. It seems if you buy from a re-seller the product is packed as you would expect. If it comes from Amazon Fulfillment is will be packed in a big box with some tissue paper and a wish it arrives in one piece. MD, Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds are who I buy new from. I also joined the Vinyl Me, Please record-of-the-month club. All use good LP packaging for good quality product.

I knew Seth was in trouble when my Christmas gifts arrived three weeks into 2018. I had a couple of conversations with him and his lament was that Amazon was killing him. I don't know how as their prices are the same as everyone else and they don't have flash sales (10% - 15% off for Father's Day, etc). I guess it's because they can usually ship within a day or so and it gets to the customer fast. Actually, I think Seth's problem was he tried to expand with too little capital.

For used records I've found that eBay and Discogs are reliable for the most part, the turnaround can be excruciatingly slow. Amazon not so much. I have run into some sellers that have been over aggressive with their grading on those sites though, so I try to find New, NOS, or Mint records to avoid problems.

16. zphage

zphage Beatard

Maybe... he had cut back, flushed out staff mid to late 2015, he tried to rely on drop shippers (one-stops). He lived in an expensive area, and maybe too well.

17. Shawn

Shawn Forum Resident

Do you really believe Seth and his Amazon excuse? I don’t for a second, IMO Amazon was just a scapegoat for his poor business decisions.

And SD’s true colors came out with their recent foray in to album sales on Reverb. My guess is they were trying to slip under the radar of all of those customers and suppliers who collectively are owed thousands. The audacity of them trying to sell more albums (or at least setting up a Reverb storefront) when they’re ripped off so many is off the scale. Glad Reverb pulled the plug.

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. #1Zero

#1Zero New Member

Ive never bought a record from Amazon. :shrug:

19. Rollintubes

Rollintubes Member

No I don't believe it was Amazon. When he said it to me I didn't believe it. I agree it was his poor business practices. He also claimed to be a good friend of Matt Weisfeld of VPI fame. That's probably bunk too. I feel sorry for those people who got ripped off too. It's a shame. I always get suspicious when a seller takes the money before shipping. That can't be a good sign.

Shawn likes this.
  20. CSH

CSH Active Member

And this makes it pretty much final. Now if you send an email to the SSD customer service address you get the following auto reply:

SoundStageDirect has closed its doors. We could not keep up with Amazon. All our links are now being redirected to Reverb.com. Reverb has nothing to do with SoundStageDirect except we just think they are a very cool website and wanted to let vinyl lovers know about them. They cannot help with any SoundStageDirect orders.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Forum Resident

But, but... Seth is such a nice guy! :shh:

funknik, Gumboo, BillM and 1 other person like this.
  22. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member

Actually Acoustic Sounds has some great used vinyl, I've bought a few and they have been perfect. And they are packaged the same way they package all their albums so you know they will arrive safe and sound. Pun intended ;)

23. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member

Haven't seen too many of those posts lately, I wanted to puke every time someone wrote that lol

24. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Active Member

Just updating. My Springsteen Box set arrived today. Mint condition. In a hand-addressed box. It's valued higher than the set I ordered originally, so I might make out okay even though I have to do all the legwork.

Not going to weigh in on the "shady" business deal discussion. Obviously, the whole experience has sucked, but I will probably emerge from it unscathed.

funknik and mikeyt like this.
  25. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Basically the same story here. I used to order from SSD a lot five or so years ago when the Free Shipping threshold was $50. I usually found them either slow to ship or otherwise irritating, but retained a love/hate relationship with them due to the Hoffman Forum discount and free shipping, also figuring I was just being an impatient dillweed (which a few other forum members confirmed for me).

After Christmas I ordered the 45rpm Nat King Cole “After Midnight” and waited 9 weeks for it to be delivered. I contacted them a couple of times in the interim, but, after dealing with them for years, I was used to things taking a long time and didn’t think much of it. I thought it was weird that they had employed an answering service, etc, but . . .

I was turntable shopping a few weeks ago and almost bought one from their website on a whim. So glad I didn’t.