SoundStage Direct "Problems" thread*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by psulioninks, Jan 16, 2018.

1. zphage

zphage Beatard

No, that was true, a family friend, the ace in the hole of why he started the whole operation. Otherwise, you are right, poor business decisions.

funknik and mikeyt like this.
  2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Welp, guess I am out that $140 for Dire Straits boxset preorder :(

bmh5879 likes this.
  3. mcd4959

mcd4959 Forum Resident

Me too - that's the one I placed in February I think...and they took my $$$ right away...and radio silence...and here I go again....sorry, it's all just really frustrating. Can't stand being taken advantage of, even for a couple hundred bucks.

I actually emailed SSD once to praise them for their LP packaging, even noting it was a primary reason I was a repeat customer. They didn't even respond to getting praise...unbelievably bad customer service.

Happier days, better dealers are out there. Elusive Disc, Music Direct, Bull Moose, Acoustic Sounds...for starters. They deserve our business, and act with honesty.

Shawn and mikedifr0923 like this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Their packaging and willingness to remove discs from the cover for shipping was a draw to me for a few purchases.
    Luckily those ended well....even though drawn out with attempts to cancel due to uneasiness over the length of time that passed after payment.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  5. mikedifr0923

Agreed. I love Music Direct and acoustic sounds. Haven’t used the other 2. I never had any problems with SoundStage until ordering that boxset. Sure they took some time to ship but I was never that worried about it.

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Acoustic Sounds can be an adventure with problem purchases, but not with receiving your items.

loudinny likes this.
  7. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I returned 2 copies of N Young’s Prairie Wind and was told that maybe I wasnt a good match for their business and that I shouldn’t buy from them anymore. Never mind both copy’s were pressed severely off-center.

Well I honored their request and no longer purchase from them.....

funknik, dolsey01 and Slick Willie like this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Music Direct is my favorite for both vinyl and hardware. They have made things right for any issues multiple times, including on higher dollar stuff. Earned my repeat business through excellent customer service.

9. mikedifr0923

Yes. Their customer service is amazing.

I haven’t had any issues with acousticsounds yet, thankfully

TerpStation and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member

I had one issue with one album received from Acoustic Sound and the customer service was fantastic. They immediately replaced the album.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  11. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Active Member

Probably my last post on this saga.

My Bruce Springsteen box set sold. All told, I'm actually going to make about $17 on the thing! But it has been 6 months of hassle over it. So whatever. I feel lucky to come out of it okay. Let the buyer beware, I guess...

12. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Forum Resident

Great people at Music Direct. I made my first visit there today to pick up an amp. It is only about an hour 15 min away but some nasty Chicago traffic for me to get there. They have 2 listening rooms, Mike set up some speakers and let me listen, also was able to browse through some MOFI cds and albums that had been opened and were at a discount. Got to drool over some VPI Avenger turntables and $14,000 Focal speakers, fun visit.

13. dconsmack

dconsmack Forum Resident

Just found out about SSD going out of business. I also just found out about everyone’s bad experiences with them. I’m shocked. I’ve ordered well over 100 albums from them since 2009. Never had a problem. I had to return some defective LPs and never had a problem getting them replaced, and they never gave me any grief about returning them. Even as recent as needing to return the Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti Super Deluxe box set. Their shipping was always slow but I thought the customer service, prices, free shipping, and excellent packing made up for the delivery time. Anyway, sorry to hear so many other people got screwed. It feels terrible knowing a company I’ve been loyal to wasn’t ethical.

14. PeppersOnWax

PeppersOnWax Active Member

Not to kick a dead dog, but when I had issues with SSD, I got refunded and a credit. I used the credit. The album came direct from Amazon. I literally said, "I didn't buy anything from Amazon, wtf is this?" and it was the SSD album I used my credit on. No paperwork. I mean, they made it good, I guess. But they dropshipped my gift card because they advertised **** they didn't have. It's was like a reverse pyramid scheme where everyone loses, except the last ones in lose the most.

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. +forum+

+forum+ Member

Well I finally have full closure after 5 months of aggrevation on my various unfulfilled record orders and got all my money back. It was not easy and I had to put many hours into it to overturn cases that first were ruled in SSD's favor (how that occurred is beyond me with them never being able to provide valid tracking numbers). What I went through will change how I deal with companies at the very first signs of 'odd behavior'. I was at first way too 'glass half full' and patient hoping to go easy on a small business that I thought just was slow to ship, when in reality my 'niceness' was being used as method to string me along.

16. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Without a doubt. They knew exactly what they were doing. Even up until the last big vinyl product they listed, which was the Petty Anthology "Warehouse Find". They took in to many pre-orders for that which they knew they'd never fulfill. Somehow they got the word on the reissue before anyone else. Seth is a primal. Simple as that. The more that comes out, the more obvious it is.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. samhill

samhill Well-Known Member

Man, I just tried to go the the SSD site for the first time in several months only to get redirected to reverb. Quick search led me here. What a bummer and headache for so many people dealing with unfulfilled orders. I purchased one of their demo VPI Scouts back in May I think, and the customer service was great dealing with all my questions and shipping everything. Sad to see this final outcome, and the shadiness.

Did the guy that purchased a 5k turntable from them get his situation straightened out?