Soundstage returns with Lyle Lovett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff Thread Starter

WTTW-TV in Chicago is reviving their Soundstage program that originally ran on PBS from 1974 to 1985. I remember seeing some really good shows back in the days before VCR's. Here's their description of the first show tomorrow night. Ties in with Lyle's new Smile CD.

"Soundstage Featuring Lyle Lovett and Friends
    Sun. Mar. 2 from 8-9:30 p.m.
    The return of WTTW11’s landmark music series, filmed in high definition and recorded live in front of a studio audience in WTTW11’s Grainger Studio. Lyle Lovett performs with a 14-piece band and a 26-piece orchestra, and the concert features songs that Lovett and his special guests, Randy Newman and acclaimed trumpeter Mark Isham, have performed or written for feature films."

Unfortunately it does not seem to be airing on either of the Seattle area PBS stations tomorrow. Hopefully it will show up eventually. A post I read on a mailing list said that shows with Peter Wolf, John Hiatt, Dar Williams and Tom Petty are among those planned for the future..

2. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up on this - hopefully it will be available in Detroit (?). I always catch Lyle every time he is in town - I have been a fan for a long time.

I have been enjoying Smile this week. Although it is lightweight and kind of a stop-gap, it is fun and well-programmed. Wouldn't want to be without these tunes, especially his version of Seger's Till It Shines, Walking Tall, Moritat (Mack the Knife), and the rousing romp through What'd I Say. I'm A Soldier in the Army of the Lord would have fit in nicely on Joshua Judges Ruth.

3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff Thread Starter

... complete with all the popups....

bump

BILLBOARD ARTICLE about Lyle's new studio album due in September.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.