Soupy Sales hospitalized?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jack Keck, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident Thread Starter

I read that Soupy Sales was hospitalized for the same type of aorta problem that befell John Ritter. There was a thread in a forum of alumni from my high school. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

My gosh. Hadn't heard a thing. Time for a Google search......Can't believe it... Is there any artist who hasn't been afflicted or passed away this year?

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I don't have any confirmation (assuming it's happened in the last day or two), but it wouldn't be too surprising, as Soupy has been described as looking quite noticeably frail (and even a bit feeble) at the last few public appearances of his that I've read about.

Sad to see, for such a dynamic performer.

-Kevin

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hope he's OK! Soupy was an "Original" alright! Did'nt miss a single show when I was a kid...and the "Mouse" sounds GREAT in STEREO!

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I saw this thread's title and my first thought was that somebody had thrown an excessively heavy pie at him.

Seriously though, I hope he can somehow pull through this infirmity. He's a great entertainer, one of the best ever to come out of Detroit (and I hope you'll pardon the civic boasting when I say that that's saying a lot).

Not only was Soupy a great comic and kiddie-show host, he was also a huge proponent of jazz; in the '50s he had a show called "Soupy's On" which featured many of the music's greatest names when they passed through Detroit. A while ago the local NPR station did an interview with Soupy and he had some wonderful stories about guys like Charlie Parker and John Coltrane. (None of the episodes survive on tape, unfortunately; the show was considerably before my time and I would love to be able to see some of those great performances for myself. C'est la vie...)

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

My family used top watch Soopy on UHF during dinner time. I loved Pookie the lion; my wife and I named one of our cats Pookie in honor of him.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

A friend of ours recently gave us a beautiful Pekingnese which she named "Pookie". Since she can not sing Pafalafaka , we are slowly changing her name to "Autumn".

8. Mark

I just have a vague recollection of his show, perhaps on Saturday afternoons, when I was very, very young. I do remember it being very funny, and I do remember the pies, of course. Hang on, Soupy!!

9. stereoptic

I guess that you weren't in the WNEW Channel 5 in NY broadcast area during the mid 1960's. Soupy's show was so hot at the time that even Frank Sinatra and SAmmy Davis appeared on an episode. He had rock groups on from time to time, also. At least I remember The Four Seasons appearing on once. He was also noted for being suspened at least once for his hijinks. Once he told the kids to "go into your Mommy and Daddy's purse and pockets and send me the green pictures of Presidents Washington and Lincoln, and I'll send you a postcard from Costa Rica". (not verbatem) Kids took him seriously and sent him money! There were also some other incidents, which I am not sure if they are "urban legends" or not like the time when Soupy was trying to teach White Fang to read. "Why is it that every time I write 'F', you see 'K' ?" :D

10. Mark

Donald: I'm trying to remember what channel we got it on, since I grew up in southeastern Connecticut, and this was the pre-cable days, of course. It had to be syndicated out of NY, I would think.

11. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Ahhh...pafalafaka! It sounds so romantic in turkey!

12. stereoptic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.