Source for Plateau L Series speaker stands

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CardinalFang, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

I can't remember who, but SOMEBODY here recommended the Plateau L Series stands:

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=794

The 23" stands are nearly perfect for my AR-2ax speakers, and the price IS perfect for my budget. The only problem, Plateau no longer makes them and all the online retailers that I've checked with are out. I tried eBay but the only dealer turned out to be standsandmounts.com, and they forgot to remove it from their eBay store.

If anybody sees these locally, or knows of a dealer that has them, please let me know.

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

3. CardinalFang

Yeah, no reply to my email yet. I'll give them a call in a bit...

4. CardinalFang

Needle Doctor doesn't keep them in stock... they drop ship from Plateau in Canada, who doesn't have any in stock. :(

5. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Hmmm, I just bought some bookshelf speakers and need stands. The Plateau's look pretty good.

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=L-11&off=0

When you add the 23" to your cart, they say "in Stock".

I think I need the 30" but it says not in stock, bummer.

6. CardinalFang

I don't even see the 23" stands listed on the markertek site. :(

7. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Hey Keith, click the link then scroll down, they've got 11,23,30,36,42

8. CardinalFang

Thanks! I got a different page the first time I clicked on it, but it was fine when I just tried it.

I called their 800 number, but they are only open Monday through Friday. I want to make sure they have them on hand... everybody seems to drop ship from Plateau.

I have money set aside for these in my Paypal account. If I give them my PayPal debit card number and they authorize the purchase (but not debit my card), the money is held by PayPal for 7-10 days. I want to make sure they are physically there!

9. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

The 36” Plateau ‘L’ stands showed up from Markertek yesterday (that wuz fast) and I assembled them last night. For $70 they aren’t all that bad.

The base and vertical supports are made from pressboard (MDF?) covered in black vinyl. The vertical supports are assembled (w/ included wood screws for top & bottom) in a ‘V’ with the point towards the front. A 1” vertical vinyl strip slides into routed out grooves to seal (and finish) the front, a 4” strip also slides into routed out grooves and seals the back.

The top plate is black metal and screws into the vertical supports and rubber pads are included for the speakers to sit on. For the base, spikes and rubber pads are included (your choice).

My current stereo setup is in the home office and while sitting, my ears are about 48” off the ground, speakers are 12” tall which is why I grabbed the 36” units. If my environment changes in the future and seating is lower, these units can be dissembled and cut down to whatever height I choose.

Speaker wire gets routed through a drilled out hole in the base, up the vertical cavity and out the back just below the metal top plate. Up next, I’ll use some construction grade plastic bags that can be dropped inside and filled with sand. I think plastic is necessary as I wouldn’t trust the vinyl strips sealing the front & rear of the vertical posts.

I can’t comment about sound improvement as the Totem Model 1’s are new. I had been using the VSX07 receiver & MMF 2.1 strictly for recording vinyl to CD-R, while monitoring with computer speakers.

:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.