Source for real CD jewel cases?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by William Bryant, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm striking out. Everything I order turns out to be substandard.

How can I get a few (20 or 30) real CD jewel cases?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

This is my pet peeve re: CD packaging for about 10 years now - the substandard quality of today's jewel cases. I've been lucky enough to have found two CD and record stores in nearby villages that still seem to have an overflow of old stock from years ago, so I bought quite a lot of those over the past few years.
    But when ordering online it seems to become harder and harder to find cases that even remotely can be described as sturdy. When it comes to jewel cases from the early days of CD, they simply don't make them anymore, and don't even mention those real sturdy cases that had smooth sides.

Cases that come with original CDs usually range from acceptable to poor, but when it comes down to ordering empy cases online, my experience is the same as the OP - none of the ones I ordered is even of acceptable quality - they all bend and break too easily. So, unfortunately I can't help you here, apart from confirming your experiences. Here's hoping other members point us to the right places.

Oh, and BTW, since shipping costs have gone up tremendously over the last few years for shipping from US to EU, I am also hoping some members can point to EU vendors that store the right cases.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  3. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

This is a forum favorite
    www.sleevecityusa.com

Agree about substandard cases nowadays. Just bought an Aerosmith CD and was shocked at how bendable it was. Just the thinnest flimsiest plastic.

4. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Crimson Witch, JamesD1957 and Dave like this.
  5. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

CD jewel cases have always been substandard IMHO.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Buy a bunch of cheap CDs at your local Goodwill and through out the CD itself. An excellent source for quality jewel cases are original 80s CDs that somebody has donated to the Goodwill.

McLover, timind, tmtomh and 8 others like this.
  7. boots

boots Chokma!

8. National Recording Supplies (Tapes.com) and Bags Unlimited

Crimson Witch and ZackyDog like this.
  9. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

Not when the Goodwill charges $2 per Kenny G cd.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Then find one that charges 50c per disc.

11. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

It's so rare to find anything at Goodwill without scuffs for .50 though and that's basically the price of new ones. But yes, finding super nice new ones is hard.

12. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Do you happen to have a store called 2nd and Charles near you? They have decent sales on overstock cd's, usually around .50 cent each, they also have a "free bin" where the staff will dump large quantities of stock they don't sell and people will dump stuff they don't accept to sell as used stock.

13. William Bryant

It's been a long time since I was this ticked off after opening a package left at the door.

Tapes.com just sent me 20 of their Standard Clear Unassembled CD Jewel Boxes and 20 Standard Unassembled Jewel Box Black Trays.

I feel like melting them down and sending them back in the shape of an unfriendly gesture.

Garbage. Dreck. Rubbish.

I have hundreds of CDs bought back in the 80s and 90s and 00s. The difference is immoral, easy to feel the instant you pick up a case, tactilely and aesthetically night and day.

Old, real jewel case, minus booklet and CD -- 95 grams.

New fake jewel case, minus booklet and CD -- 60 grams.

Does no one make a real jewel case anymore??

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Crimson Witch and Joe Chip like this.
  14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  15. Japanese jewel cases still tend to resemble the older, sturdier ones made 20 years ago. Everywhere else has embraced the jewel case as garbage commodity meant to be disposable.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't think you can get decent quality after market cases anymore, I picked up a few hundred deleted CDs for less each than the cost of new cases and all sealed, more work, but you only have to open them when you need them, the other good source is used CDs, large collections usually mean near mint cases and with so many people dumping their physical collections I'm seeing used CDs for less than replacement cases at car boot sales etc. I'd try local free ads, garage sales and become friendly with any local record stores, most of mine turn CD collections away, but if you offered them a certain amount per disc as long as the cases were perfect I'm sure they could get you a collection.

17. Hi, just like the DVD cases, CD jewel cases are not thick any longer like they used to be. The tooling is the same all around industry wide now. While I miss the heavier jewel cases when you buy a CD, or buy just the cases- I don't feel they are junk. I have a ton of the NRS jewel cases and I am pleased with them. This is just a different time now, and the more heavier ones would be a lot more expensive these days. I do get what you mean though

18. William Bryant

Is there a USA source? How do I know I'm ordering these nicer cases? Pictures and specs online are no help.

19. William Bryant

To be pleased with the NRS cases I got yesterday you would need to be ok with cases that don't stay closed, have rough edges, and are so flimsy you worry about breaking them every time you grab a CD from the cabinet. Nothing in my entire collection came in cases this bad, even new CDs manufactured in 2016.

Joe Chip and martinb4 like this.
  20. William Bryant

You're right if you're talking about the design itself; it could have been thought out much better.

What I'm talking about, though, is execution of the (admittedly troublesome) design. I could live with the design limitations if someone would manufacture a case that actually conforms to the design.

21. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I have the majority of my CDs in case logic CD wallets; I only put the cover art in with the CD, so that means I toss the back side artwork/track listing/other info along with the CD case. If I really wanted that backside part again, JRiver has an option to print out CD label and CD case front and back artwork/info. Not sure where that data comes from though. If you don't care about the artwork, and don't like the idea of a CD wallet, you could always go with the plastic cases, but you can't put CD artwork in them unless you cut them down.

EDIT: I used to put all my CDs in the wallets alphabetically by artist then release date, but every time I got more CDs, I'd have to pull them all out and start over...not doing that anymore.

22. William Bryant

That's one of the reasons I store my CDs in library/book style.

Joe Chip likes this.
  23. I have never had any product from them resembling what you describe. Please don't assume that I have.

24. William Bryant

I didn't and I won't.

25. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I understand why someone would want an exact replacement for there CD jewel case. But for me the flimsy ones are just fine, they look the same, they weigh less also. I kind of like the cheap flexibility of the replacements, because they seem to be more giving, in that they don't break as easy, at least in my experience. I do keep the original trays, at least with the black trays, because I don't like the crummy replacement ones, first off they don't seem finished correctly & don't a lot of the times say "Compact Disc" in the tray for some reason, usually left blank. Just my 2 cents worth.

tmtomh and sublemon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.