South Park Season 18

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ampmods, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did you guys see the South Park commercial that was played during the Redskins game? Hysterical. Good ol' Cartman. Ha! Really looking forward to Wednesday night!

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I didn't see the commercial but I am looking forward to the new season of South Park. Then again, I didn't particularly like last season and it's been quite a while since Matt & Trey produced a season with more hits than misses, so my expectations have been lowered. SP still hasn't sunk as low as The Simpsons (which probably hasn't aired a truly good episode for several seasons now, but I still regularly record them hoping that they will get new and better writers), but then again it hasn't been on as long as The Simpsons. I fear they're running out of fresh ideas.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Didn't see the commercial, but I can't wait for it to start up again tomorrow night. It's been gone too long. I think SP is still great. The GoT trilogy they did last season was excellent.

DiabloG and blind_melon1 like this.
  4. ampmods

Not a bad episode. The funniest part was what they showed during the commercial with Cartman refusing to give up the name. Some funny bits with the football team acting like old western movie Indians and the single tear thing was funny too. But generally it seemed to me that they just kind of threw all recent events into a bowl and stirred and so it wasn't as sharp as it could have been. Still it's good to have it back.
    My grade: B-

5. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

ampmods likes this.
  6. agentalbert

I thought it was very funny. The part with Daniel Snyder crying the single tear after the being hit with the litter was great. And the scenes of him taking the field by himself and repeatedly getting steamrolled by the Cowboys was pretty funny. I also liked the Goodell bot using actual Goodell soundbites.

heatherly likes this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Pretty average episode, but still, not bad for a show about nothing.

8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Season 17 was just released on DVD/BR last week.

9. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Didn't series 17 include the whole Game of Thrones / Xbox One - PS4 war? That was awesome.

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think so. I actually didn't care for that story arc. For me, South Park is at its best when it doesn't require the viewer to be "into" something else to actually enjoy their spin on it. When SP gets really deep into parodying a film I don't know or the entire plot revolves around a video game I've never played, the episodes just fall flat for me.

11. ampmods

Gluten/Ebola episode - not bad. It's interesting that they continued from the previous episode without it being a trilogy or whatever. I wonder if they'll do that again. Some funny gags in the episode but overall kind of flat. I'd give it a C.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I haven't seen this week's yet, but I actually liked the first episode of this season more than I thought I would.

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, that was the "Black Friday" trilogy.... I just finished watching Season 17 today. Those episodes were alright, and there were a couple of other funny bits in other episodes as well, but overall it was a pretty weak season. (And short, too... only ten episodes!)

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought it was a terrific ep, as it did what SP does best - satirizing stupid behaviors (like diet fads and irrational group-think) while hitting the funny-bone with extreme exaggeration (exploding penises, lol). I'd give it a B+.

agentalbert likes this.
  15. ampmods

Lorde/Cissy episode... wow! So this is how it is going to be this season? A constant arc. I don't think this has been done before other than special 3 part episodes, etc. It's pretty interesting!

The thing about Randy actually being Lorde was hysterical and random. As someone who records music at home, the bits where he is putting together the songs from his horrible singing/scatting and all the windows are opening up and all that applying plug-ins, etc.... very funny. I'll give this episode an A.

Deesky and bopdd like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, very funny episode. It's tough being Transginger! :)

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

We need to see Towelie in an episode this season. I think the last time was the Camp Titticaca episode.

This season has been ok so far. Id give it a "B"

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Thanks for reminding me of that Camp Titticaca episode. Now that's how I like my South Park -- over the top, rude, ridiculous, and extremely funny.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

SHUT UP MIMSY

20. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Not really feeling this season so far.

21. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Last nights new episode (drones) isn't ever going to be included in a "best of" compilation...

22. ampmods

I did enjoy the 2 drones making off with the television though. Ha.

I'd give the drones episode a B- and the Handi-car episode a B.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty good, if a little hairy!

24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Handicar episode was sleepwalking, a C at best.

Drones episode was better realized, working in requisite smuttiness and a number of social commentaries, making it a B.

IMHO.

--Geoff

agentalbert likes this.
  25. agentalbert

I really liked the Drone episode. The constant jokes about Craig's mom cracked me up, and also Randy when he was piloting a neighborhood watch drone and got busted spying. That was much better than Handi-Car, imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.