Soylent Green

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I love watching the film just to see that old video game. It was the first game that I remember seeing out on the floor of a store. In my case it was a mall. I put a lot of quarters in that. It was followed closely by a Star Trek version ( 2 players only if I rememeber correctly ) and then the infamous SPACE INVADERS.

Oh, and I love the film.

2. PreciousRicky

PreciousRicky Forum Resident

Last Man on Earth is a great flick. I think this came out before Night of the Living Dead, which share some similarities.

Speakin of Children of Men...SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT...SPOLIER ALERT...SPOLIER ALERT

I found it odd that when the soldiers see the baby, they only pause their assault, and don't completely stop. More suprising was that they didn't snatch the baby. Went on with the killing.

3. oblique_parallax

oblique_parallax Forum Resident

How about this from a Simpsons episode set in the future:
    [​IMG]

4. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I wish my current apartment was 'furnished' in that manner! Talk about top-shelf furnishings!

5. lordsitar

lordsitar New Member

yes, Soylent Green is a classic...right up there with Logan's Run and THX1138

6. Hey guys, there already is a thread on this general subject, with an extensive list of 70's Sci Fi flicks and discussion. Please post there!

70's Sci Fi Appreciation Thread (pre-Star Wars)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=107614

Currently discussing Space: 1999 DVD's.

7. See above thread for a more-or-less complete list of similar movies. Make any additions you feel are necessary!

8. This is the kind of post that would have been perfect in the above thread. I suggest that if you want to to discuss 70's Sci Fi in general (rather than just the specific movie Soylent Green), please post to the thread I linked above. It will be MUCH better for the archives and searches that way. Thanks, Eric

9. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I remembermy Grandfather taking me to the movies to see Soylent Green when I was very young. What was he thinking!

Also loved Westworld. Never saw Plase IV though. I'll have to check it out Simon!:righton:

I also remember a movie called "Chosen Survivors" where everyone died at the end. Creeped me out when I was young.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Org Snatchers for me,org The Thing also.:agree:

11. Unless there have been major changes the last version was closer to Matheson's original novel than "The Omega Man" (and despite the fact that it was a cheapie film and Rome just doesn't look like San Francisco, "The Last Man on Earth" was closer to Matheson's original novel partially because he wrote the original screenplay himself. It was changed by the director however and Matheson put his pseudonym put in the credits).

I'm so disappointed that Phase IV hasn't shown up on DVD yet. Great, creepy movie that I really enjoyed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a remake of "Soylent Green" on the table (pardon the pun) although the original is a 70's view of the future, I still find it to be pretty powerful.

12. I always thought that "Soylent Green" was a good movie--if it was remade who would you cast in it? Heston was the perfect choice in the original almost iconic after his work in "Omega Man" and "Planet of the Apes".

Based on watching the documentary "Planet Earth" we are a lot closer to that world than I imagined we would be...

13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have the first edition. I think it had a 5.1 remix on it. It's possible Warner upgraded the packaging to move away from the snapper. I'll check when I get home.

Todd

15. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

My region 2 Spanish edition is one channel mono, I assume it's like the first US release.
    Now my question is, is it possible, given the new DVD edition is sourced from a new HD transfer, that soylent Green will be available on on Blu-ray some time soon?

16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Here are the two editions, the new DVD says "Dolby Surround 5.1 English".

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5932821
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7505318

How do you know the new DVD has a new transfer? This would certainly have been discussed on movie message boards, but I could not find anything.

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

BTW, most online stores list the new DVD as unavailable (Amazon says "Usually ships within 2 to 5 weeks"), so it may well be that it is an error, that it was withdrawn, etc

18. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

It's the same disc. It just has been converted from a snapcase to a keepcase.

19. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I cant think of this movie anymore without thinking of Phil Hartman on Saturday Night Live. "People! Soylant Green is made out of PEOPLE!" LOL

20. I can't watch it without thinking of this...""

Attached Files:

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Sorry to reboot an old thread, but in the national news today, it was announced (I kid you not) that a new food product was slated for introduction called "Soylent."
    The future is here.

22. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

I am on that diet. What a great idea.

If it works, it could save millions and millions of people. They already have nearly a million dollars in gifts to get it going.

www.soylent.me

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

whew! I'd start worrying if they had GREEN before the Soylent!:laugh:
    guess someone in charge is a fan of the movie!

thestereofan likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bwahahah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.