Sparks Appreciation & Album by Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I love that left-field lick he lays down in "Nothing is Sacred Anymore". I may be mistaken, but I think there may have been an immigration/work permit rule (or union requirements) that required the band to be 3/5th British to allow for an extended residency in the UK. Then again, given the Maels' rebuffing of Kimono bassist Martin Gordon's songs (where were of a high quality and a good fit stylistically*) perhaps they were done sharing song-writing duties.

* Check out the lone album JET released in 1975

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

According to Ron Mael the other three simply didn't want to move to England.
    About the Jet Album I have never really understood the intention behind. It sounds like a lost Sparks album and has the "Kimono" sound. But what was the exact intention? Was the statement "I can do the same as Sparks" or was it "That was my sound idea which they "stole" from me" ?

MadMelMon likes this.
  3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I think Gordon's intention was the former. He never claimed to have come up with the sound, but he did feel spurned when the Maels didn't show any interest in his songs and eventually fired him.

For the uninitiated, here's JET:

4. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I always assumed that it was a combination of place, time, and people. I'm guessing that some of the songs the Maels rejected are on that album, and of course he wrote them for Sparks, so the similarity makes sense. Davey O' List was part of the glam scene already (Roxy Music,) and it was produced by Roy Thomas Baker, who was producing Queen (who have more than a few similarities with Sparks' sound.)

I wish that record was better known. It's fantastic.

5. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Slowboat. Gorgeous song.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  6. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Gordon has stated he wrote "Cover Girl" in particular for Sparks but that the Maels didn't want to know.

It is a shame that the Jet album isn't better known (and now even that name's been appropriated!). Davey O'List's guitar playing is fantastic on that album.

I assume you're familiar with Gordon's more recent solo albums - the so-called 'mammal trilogy' (six albums actually). If not, there's some really good stuff there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    MadMelMon likes this.
  7. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I had that Jet album. I wasn't quite able to get into it. :sigh:

I did get into this other Earl Mankey related album that seemed rather Sparks inspired:

The Quick - Mondo Deco - Mercury Records - 1976

Lightworker, MadMelMon and DJ LX like this.
  8. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

My favorite cut:

MadMelMon and DJ LX like this.
  9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I need to get that their album. Unfortunately, it appears to be out of print. I just checked iTunes but they didn't have it listed. :mad:

MadMelMon and Dino like this.
  10. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Sparks: Talent is an Asset by Daryl Easlea (2012)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=A1I15XI7SVEYXD

IIRC, this paints a picture of Island wanting Ron and Russell Mael, but not the rest of the band, to go to England. During this time (and throughout their career) it portrays Ron and Russell as being unusually close-knit but not really being concerned with the other band members.

It happened again with the Kimono/Propaganda band, prior to Indiscreet, when it was time to come back to the USA.

I have no idea how credible this book is. It is entertaining though.

11. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Discogs lists the LPs. Looks like it was re-released on LP in 2009.
    http://www.discogs.com/Quick-Mondo-Deco/master/210535

Amazon has a version of this on CD called Untold Rock Stories.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000093CZM...TF8&colid=2XTEKZTISO60G&coliid=I12EL79BUP1LDU

I have only heard the Mercury 1976 LP. It caught my eye in the used bin not long after it's release. The Earl Mankey credit is what caused me to give it a try.

12. tymespan

tymespan Forum Resident

Untold Rock Stories contains the Mercury demos, not the actual Quick LP. Mondo Deco has never been released on CD.

Earl Mankey had a great quirky track that would have fit perfectly on the first two Sparks LP:

DJ LX and Dino like this.
  13. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I pulled out my copy of Talent Is an Asset and, for what it is worth, near the bottom of page 50 it states that "They [Ron & Russell] considered taking the whole band with them [to England] but the work permit situation disallowed it -- or provided the Maels with a decent excuse to start all over again." So it's a bit ambiguous.

Dino likes this.
  14. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction, tymespan. I saw the song titles and didn't read further.

I didn't know about the demos. I'd like to hear them, but not enough to buy the CD. The production was great on the released LP.

15. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I had that 45.

It had a different picture sleeve and was on a different label, the BOMP label I think.

16. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I came away from the longer story with a different impression. I may have mixed things up.

17. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever seen this first five-piece Sparks live? Has any audio survived?

Scope J likes this.
  18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Before we move on, let's not forget this creepy and prescient pre Sparks demo:

19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Good stuff! Keep going!

MadMelMon and Scope J like this.
  20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I find the whole Transatlantic 'bizzare power pop' Johns Children/Halfnelson/Sparks/Jook/Jet/Quick/Radio Stars/Dickies/Four Squares family tree fascinating: all these groups have personnel in common and all made off kilter pop records.

DJ LX and Scope J like this.
  21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

John Mendelsohn's (AKA member of Christopher Milk, AKA the rock critic who wrote the brilliant liners to The Kinks Kronikles) fleeting stint in Halfnelson (apaprently he's on drums on some of the tracks on the demo album) has always fasinated me, sadly he always haughtily dismisses his association when asked about it http://graphikdesigns.free.fr/john-mendelsohn-halfnelson.html

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Kimono My House (1974)

This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us
    Amateur Hour
    Falling In Love With Myself Again
    Here In Heaven
    Thank God It's Not Christmas
    Hasta Mañana, Monsieur
    Talent Is An Asset
    Complaints
    In My Family