Sparks: scoring new Leos Carax film Annette, plus new album Hippopotamus (9/17)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I have it. It sounds like a picture disc.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Berlin show was unbelievable, absolutely fantastic!!!! They sold signed vinyl and even though I have a copy en route from the Sparks store I couldn't resist. Imagine my surprise when I came home to find that I just bought the picture disc! Signed! Just played the first side over boxes. Definitely OK for a picture disc. At least it's no unlistenable campfire.

But the show was something else . Love this band!

3. Neonbeam

After a listen through headphones you are right. I does sound like a picture disc. A well made picture disc. The typical "hiss" is there but it's not crackly. And it looks splendid.

I'm really happy about it though because I love picture discs but the voice of reason made me order black vinyl. So buying this at the show and expecting it also to be black but finding the picture disc was a nice surprise.

Aside from that how was the music? I enjoyed it but I need more time with it.

4. Neonbeam

IKEA, Alzheimer (or some other form of amnesia), abortion and funeral speeches.... some pretty heavy topics on this album. Maybe that's why it is called "Hippopotamus", heavy stuff, partially submerged. Without any idea how the hell it did get there.

I noticed a funny thing on the vinyl cover, as a whole it has a matte finish except for the part that shows water. There's a knife like cut running across the front separating these two areas. If this "cut" didn't run exactly along the border of the pool I would have thought this was a damage but it has to be deliberate. Nice touch!

5. PretzelLogic

You're setting some high expectations for what will be my 18th (at least) Sparks show! I don't doubt they'll deliver though.

Were you thinking of 'Probably Nothing' when referencing Alzheimer's? I was mulling over the same thought…

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

I heard those new songs first on the concert and "Probably Nothing" irritated me. Then I checked the lyrics and.... yeah.... there's definitely a strong implication.

I don't think you will be disappointed by the show, it was really amazing. I'm curious to see whether they're changing songs around or cling to the 20 track running order. "What the hell is it this time" is a terrific opener. Don't miss the merch btw. With very important - and totally necessary - stuff like the signed "Hippopotamus" 1000 pieces jigsaw or the "Kimono My House 1974 souvenir fan". I regret now not getting the tourposter. Should have framed it.

7. Neonbeam

Hmmmm.... black vinyl just arrived and since it's shrink wrapped (hence all glossy) I can't comment on the surface structure of the sleeve but the cut I'm mentioning above definitely isn't there.

Fascinating....

8. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Got the Japanese CD today. It has a Japan only track called You Earned the Right to be a Dick.

I love the fact that the only English on the obi says "You Earned the Right to be a Dick."

[​IMG]

9. Neonbeam

Dick around, indeed:righton:

MadMelMon likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

OK.... so who here has heard the black vinyl "Hippopotamus"? Because at the moment I'm contemplating if I should open it or if the picture disc is enough as listening copy. Yes, it has the typical low level wooooooosh but apart from that doesn't sound too shabby.

11. Neonbeam

Another spin and I love it! Certainly all over the place but that's also a strength. "I Wish You Were Fun" sounds so much like Bolan. A nice touch considering that he died 40 years ago (16/9/1977) and would have turned 70 on September 30th.

12. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

My black vinyl edition isnt like that at all?
    Loving this album though, their best since "Propaganda". I got the signed lyric sheet and the "Hippopotamus" 7" single too. Ordered it back in March, £20 incl. postage for all that - and delivered on the day of delivery! Great stuff!

Purplefowler likes this.
  13. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Only the picture disc seems to have the glossy finishing and the "cut/line". No idea why though!

14. Neonbeam

I wouldn't go that far since there are also "Number One In Heaven", "Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins" and "Lil' Beethoven" but "Hippopotamus" is great.

Need to check out "Hello Young Lovers", did a quick listening session of it in 2006, didn't like it, didn't buy the vinyl and didn't bother. Now I'm wondering if I have made a mistake.....

DJ LX likes this.
  15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You are right, it is very Bolan. Russell's voice is incredible, it sounds exactly the same as it did in 1974.
    I cant wait to buy this album, from reading the reviews it sound like their best for a good while...

RickH and Neonbeam like this.
  16. PretzelLogic

The title is too intriguing to not want to hear it- what's it like?

I genuinely hope this ends up getting released somewhere, somehow.

MadMelMon likes this.
  17. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

The vinyl goes for crazy amounts these days.

18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Hippopotamus new at no 7 in the UK charts.
    How brilliant is that!??

Marble Index, tin ears, RickH and 5 others like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Not yet. Well... only if you consider 40-50€ "crazy". It was like 12€ new. I guess I'd pay 50€ for it. Nothing as annoying as missing out on an album one could have bought when it was new:wantsome:

20. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I love how the cover looks just like a cover they might have used in 1974.

tin ears, RickH, DJ LX and 1 other person like this.
  21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Exactly, that's what attracted me to this album.
    Well spotted...

22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Absolutely. Great album - it just takes a few listens to get into.

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

While the songwriting is top notch on the new lp, the production suffers from the home studio, all midi production - specifically the fake drums. The FFS lp was refreshing because it was a real rock band backing the Mael's s in 40 years. They are currently touring with a solid 4 piece backing band which is fantastic, and their drummer is credited on playing on a couple tracks (which I can't really hear any difference between his playing and the ever present midi drums).

I just wish they had real musicians playing along side them...all their records from the last 15+years sound kind of no-budget

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  24. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

25. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I totally get what you're sayin. Not to threadcrap but once you get that thought stuck in your head it's really hard to get over it. Same thing happened to me with the new War On Drugs album. Fortunately with what I've heard so far from Sparks is the tracks are arranged a lot more complex and move along with pop sensibility where as the other album has much longer tracks and not a lot of beat changes and though I like the tunes I tend to tune out faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.