Speaker advice needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by k-man, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k-man

k-man Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please help Hoffmanites. I'm looking for new speakers in the 5-8k range to replace Trenner and Friedl Art speakers I've moved to a bigger room that is 14x18 and want a bigger sound with more bass. I have both a heed integrated at 50 watts and a prima Luna at 38. Listened to some Martin Logan planers that were too bright. Head a Proactive D 30 s that was nice. Considering a sinus faber Olympica 3 that I haven't heard yet. Waiting to hear a Elam andante. Interested in proac 1028 Be but don't know if I can demo one. Or add subwoofers to current speakers. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

How difficult is it for you to try out a sub or two in this new space?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. k-man

Good question. I'll ask my dealer. I also have the problem of no pre out on either amp. Probably have to run speaker wire in and out of subwoofer.

4. k-man

I need to try to fix some errors in my original post. I've heard a proac D 30 s i liked and am interested in a focal 1028 Be that I'm having trouble finding a place to demo

5. mds

mds Forum Resident

The SF Olympica 3 will need more power to sound its best. The Focal has good bass and probably perfect for your room size. It may sound bright to you due to its byrilium tweeter.

6. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

5-8K. Wow, I would be looking at those Tekton behemoths if I had that much coin, or a beautiful pair of Dynaudio's.

7. k-man

I like the specs and reviews of the focal but am having trouble finding a place to audition. I've spoken to a dealer about Dynaudio. I'll put that on my audition list.

8. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Once you hear Dynaudio, there is no going back. They were on my hot list, and a better sounding speaker than the energy rc-70's I ended up getting. Not a lot better, but for the 2500-3500 price increase, they were not that much better.
    I'm absolutely in love with my rc-70's. No glare, treble sickness, no fatigue. The treble is rolled off quite a bit, but I like that, after demoing the klipschorns a long time ago, I have been looking for a warm speaker, and I hit the jackpot.

Have a second pair in storage for the 2nd system. I like them that much.

But with your budget, you can get much better I feel. Enjoy the hunt, that's the fun part.

I would wait, and see if you can get a used pair of Dynaudio C-4's. They are Fu------- amazing, and one of the best speakers I have ever heard. Happy hunting !

9. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Was going to suggest Focal. I have a pair of 948's and find them as a very good sound and excellent value.

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

If you liked what you heard with ProAC, maybe audition some other British brands as well, the usual suspects such as ATC, Harbeth, and Spendor. These brands are popular for good reason.

Shiver and snorker like this.
  11. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Two questions.

If you have a dealer, why are you asking strangers on the internet about which speakers to buy? You're in Dallas. There must be a ton of great dealers carrying just about any line. This store looks awesome.

AudioConcepts Products- Speakers and Home Theater Speaker Systems

Why not go up the line with T&F is you liked the Arts? The importer, Profundo, is less than 200 miles from you. Maybe give him a call about their options.

If you're planning on keeping your 28 and 50 watt amps for use, keep that in mind when choosing. Proac and Devore might be better for you than tougher to drive models, especially in a larger room. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

beverett and Fishoutofwater like this.
  12. k-man

Thanks to everyone for the help. I had a dealer who I bought everything from who unfortunately died a few years back. I like Audio concepts ok but a lot of the advice from the salesperson I don't agree with. I find audio auditions very hard. Things may sound different but are they better? T and F don't make a speaker in the 5-8 k range. Considering a REL audition because you can return it if you don't like it. Thanks again for the input

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Absolutely. Home demo is very important. Haven't bought anything of late without one and wouldn't without the means to return.

14. mds

mds Forum Resident

I just went through this process of looking for speakers in the same price range you are. Try to find this post "Speaker Recommendations $5K - $9K", sorry not sure how to link it. I gave opinions on a bunch of speakers I auditioned. The one thing I found is that all the speakers were well made, comprised of fantastic components and reproduced sound in a top notch fashion. One could be happy with any of them, however the difficulty becomes finding the speakers that match well with your existing components and room. The best way is a home audition but I found this difficult to set up when you do not have a history with the audio store. You would think however if you are spending $8K they would be happy to bring them over for an afternoon at the least. One thing I did was bring my amplifiers to them, which at least showed me that the speakers would or would not work with them. Once you have done that the shop knows you are serious and may then lend you a pair of speakers to home audition.

Dave and Joe Spivey like this.
  15. k-man

Oh yes I followed your search with interest. Probably the motivation for starting my thread. How are the KEF's? When I was in Dallas Saturday the stores I went to could get the KEF's and the Devore 93 but they would have to be ordered. I have a dealer that will bring some dynaudio contour 30's to the house but that is with the understanding that if I don't buy those I will buy something else from him and he really just carries dynaudio so that kind of boxes me in

16. mds

mds Forum Resident

I love the KEF speakers. They work really well with my equipment and my room. A critical point for me was I wanted a speaker that sounded great at all volume levels not just mid to loud. I listen a lot at quieter settings and the KEFs really work well with lots of detail and sound stage still apparent at low volume settings. The Devores are also a fantastic speaker and much more forgiving concerning power requirements. I didn't feel at low volume they were as detailed as the KEFs, which I think was the tipping point for me. Devore created more bass, the KEFs a better sound stage and more inner detail to musical notes and instruments. The Devore filled the room and you felt in the middle of the sound/performance on many recordings, the KEFs extended beyond the speakers but the performance was always in front of you. Both are excellent speakers but handle the music slightly different from each other. The Harbeth Super HL5plus and the Focal Electra 1028 Be are all worthy of a listen and I would say right up there with the KEF and Devore. It all depends on your taste, equipment and room.

17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Go on Audiogon. I also bought speakers on CL too.

18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Your speakers appear to have high quality drivers, so if you like the sound, subs would be a logical step. BUT often stereo amps have no provision for a highpass crossover to remove the bass load from the main speakers and amps. So you might need another amplifier, unless one of your amps has pre-out/main-in jacks.

Otherwise, we really like Aurum Cantus, available from a nice fellow at
    Audiophile Direct (note: ad blockers wreak havoc on this site).
    and Vandersteens as well.

19. k-man

Never heard of Autumn Cantus but the website has me intrigued. Thanks

20. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I"m sorry to hear that. It seems crazy to me that anyone would expect someone to pay 5-8K for a speaker without letting them audition them. That being the case, definitely try the sub. And another option is to buy and try things used. It's a hassle, but you'll lose less money. If a dealer can't provide you with an audition, they don't deserve the mark up you're paying to buy from them. It's a very real point you raise about things being different, but not necessarily better. Buying speakers without hearing them is buying blind.

Helom likes this.
  21. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Legacy speakers will be worth investigating.

Dave likes this.
  22. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Dang, for $7K you can get into a set of Legacy Audio Signature SE! These are the real deal -- great all-around speakers that offer great highs and mids with AMT ribbon tweeters, and deep, accurate bass down to 22 Hz that is way better than many of the speakers you've mentioned. Just listen to a well recorded electric bass line on them! Female vocals are just pristine, without a bit of "chestiness" due to the the ribbon tweeters. Also, their sensitivity is 92 dB, which should work with your amps.

Signature SE | Legacy Audio - Building the World's Finest Audio Systems

[​IMG]

23. k-man

The classics look like a good option. Plan on listening to a full size Elac when they come in. Also considering a couple of REL subs. They can be hooked up with speaker output. I've had a lot of people tell me that full range beats bookshelf with subs but trying to keep an open mind

24. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Well, the problem with bookshelf + subs is the integration of the critical lower mids and mid-bass frequencies, which include some of the vocal range. It can be tricky to pull that off optimally.

Now, the Classic is a fine speaker at $5K, but I suggested the Signature SE because your stated price range was $5-8K. IMO, the Signature is a no-brainer for $2k more.

25. k-man

My mistake. There is a dealer in Texas but it's a long way from me. Might have to just make the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.