Speaker Buzz w/DVD Video player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SteveSDCA, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

I sometimes use my DVD-A player for DVD videos. Whenever I watch a movie with my DVD-A player, there is a TON of buzz I here through my speakers. None of my other players (SACD, HDCD, turnatable) have this buzz. My turntable isn't even grounded and there's no ground hookup for the SACD or HDCD player. Does this buzz damage the speakers at all? And is there anything to do to get rid of it? Thanks for any info.

2. sgraham

sgraham New Member

You may have a ground loop, or is it possible that you have a video output plugged into an audio input somewhere? Is everything plugged into the same AC circuit? If your TV is on one and your stereo on another this could give you problems. Have you tried swapping out all the interconnects? Try disconnecting your antenna or cable connections to see if the buzz goes away. If you have a ground loop through those connections you can buy a "ground guard" or "IsoLinq" for under $100, or you may be able to cure it simply by disconnecting the shield at one end (the receiving end).

If the buzz is loud enough, sure it could damage your speakers. It would probably drive you crazy first. If you can stand to listen to it, it's unlikely that it's doing damage; but you should get this fixed.

3. hot_wax_man

hot_wax_man New Member

I think You nailed it right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.