Speaker Cable Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by whaiyun, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Wise words here. Heed them.

Dmann201 likes this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The problem with this is that listening and perception are not measurable ... components with measurably identical L, R, and C etc. can sound different (and in different ways to different people, or even not at all to some people and obviously different to others).

That's why the 'debate' continues ... :-popcorn:

3. blakep

blakep Senior Member

So true.

I have found, ironically, over the years that the vast majority of the "debate" I have had with those who dismiss the idea is with people who have virtually no knowledge of the process, no experience with it and no experience with comparing any type of cryoed connector or wire with the same non-cryoed piece.

In short: not much different from any of the other cable/wire debates ;).

As a result I rarely participate in the "debate" anymore. There's not much point, but I do occasionally throw my personal experience out there. People can do what they want with the information. Cost is quite low as I've said for someone who is genuinely curious.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

"Audioholics'" take on things (sort of makes me think about Hans and Franz" :agree::

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Schwinnparamount and james like this.
  5. missan

missan Forum Resident

Nah, the enigma is that cables are not really tested at all. It has nothing to do with different perception, IME.

Rolltide likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Descriptive abilities, not physiological.

Impairments and room differences aside.

People in the same setting? Same gear? Same music?

7. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Ya deez cables really hit my pecs and my lats!

[​IMG]

Rick58 likes this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I know some (not all) cables have most certainly been tested for L, R, and C (and whatever other EE specs etc. are specifiable or 'known') for a given cable/design. Now, whether cables that are 'perfectly matched' in all those parameters would be identifiably different to a given listener in a system/room that's familiar to him ... ??? One would think if all such cables (or components, or systems ...) were thoroughly identified using all those parameters, and the ones that 'won' over all the others for 99.99% of all listeners were selected, we would simply have a generic "stereo system" at Wal-Mart that we'd go buy.

Fact (seems to me) is, nothing like this has been done so we're left with the state we're in. I don't think it CAN be done. I think that there is the POSSIBILITY that given two cables with different construction techniques, materials, etc., even that measure identically over every parameter that we can measure, will still sound different to some people (and maybe not others). That's what I mean saying that perception of important details (soundstaging/imaging abilities of a component, etc. for example) by an individual cannot be measured.

I still believe things could sound different to different people even in this environment. We cannot cross the line into ... DBT :hide: or whatever ... but I don't 'believe' in that anyway. To me it's like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle ... try to set things up to 'measure' perception and it screws up the ability to actually perceive. IMHO of course.

9. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

10. missan

missan Forum Resident

The possibility or the probability for there to be a difference would be very different depending on who you ask. Most likely it would vary from 0 to 1.
    Most importantly the probability doesn´t matter at all on the outcome, and there is really no need for the probability as we can do tests that will show if there is a difference.

There is really only one reason for doing more controlled tests, and that is taking care of biases. If not doing that they will always be too strong, avoiding that is the whole purpose. But who really wants to know if there is a difference or not of those that are into cables, I would guess very few.

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

http://www.wireworldaudio.com/reviews/StereoplaySevenUp.pdf

Some basic testing going on.

12. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Speaker cables just came in. If I got time I'll try them out tonight!

jupiterboy likes this.
  13. whaiyun

Loving it so far. Very subtle. I'm using the same gauge biwire as my previous speaker. Just an extra 2.5 feet.

No degradation in sound. In fact. I think its clearer across the spectrum. Especially in the bass frequencies.

Again it's subtle. It's a speaker cable. Oh yeah. It's super flexible and soft to the touch haha. I like ;)

Rick58 likes this.
  14. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Sorry if it was already mentioned, but curious as to what your old cables were.

15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Yep, subtle but sublime, I like to say ... some changes don't knock you over, but sounds like this produced a noticeable improvement in clarity and bass 'goodness' which seems like what I heard with the Oval 9. Happy listening!

16. whaiyun

They were Acoustic Zen cables. Not sure what model, apparently in-wall installations, according to my local shop. I think they (Acoustic Zen) use Neotech wires. It was a 12 AWG wire with grey jackets. I didn't spend too much on them, about $100 for the 24 feet of wiring with banana terminations.

17. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I was actually going to get some Blue Jeans cables - a pair of 10 gauge, with banana plugs on one end of each of the cables. A friend suggest Blue Jeans... but it looks like they're sold out. Anyone know a comparative or even better place at similar pricing for what I'm looking for?

18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I highly recommend Douglas Connection. I use their Furez 12AWG x 4 conductor cable in a biwire setup. Furez also makes a 10AWG 2-conductor speaker cable @ $1.45/ft. which is better than the Belden cable sold by BJC, in my opinion.
    Furez uses high quality OFC copper multi-strand construction, FPE insulation, and a very flexible rubber outer jacket, fire rated for in-wall use, and easy to bend around furniture, baseboards, etc. Do-it-yourself with the Douglas gold-plated locking banana plugs ($12.50/pair). Avoid the Furez bananas, though, they are kind of flimsy, and don't accomidate 10AWG wire as easily.
    Or, let Douglas make up custom cables for you. Very nice folks. They'll make whatever you want. Check the website for more info.

http://www.douglasconnection.com/Furez-10-AWG-2-Conductor-Speaker-Cable-Raw-FZ102.htm

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

If you terminate them yourself or you want to use bare wire you can get the same Belden 5T00UP in bulk for $1.30 a foot at Parts Express and probably other places: http://www.parts-express.com/belden...source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

20. whaiyun

Signal Cable looks pretty cool. They're stiffer cables (ie. Can't run them through my in wall conduits) otherwise I probably would have bought them.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Anyone have feelings about audioquest rocket 88?

I found two 9ft cables for $350. It looks like they retail for roughly $700.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

So I went with these cables, hooked them up last night and put about 8 hours of use on them. It is a pretty amazing upgrade for me, like hitting a trifecta at a horse race, a big win.

I have solidly been in the camp that expensive cables are just a fleecing of an audio enthusiast. Not in this case. dollar for dollar one of the better upgrades I have made.

Rolltide and Erik Tracy like this.
  23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I dunno, that's full on high end to me. :)

24. motorcitydave

Good idea, especially something like Siltech. Great classic silver cables, I prefer silver to copper, but the prices are out of control here in the US market, imo.

25. motorcitydave

AZ cables start out either Neotech or Furutech. Not sure which.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.