Speaker cable upgrade- advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jh901, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have arranged to borrow the following from The Cable Co.:

Black Cat Lectraline
    Wireworld Equinox 7
    The Analysis Plus Oval 9
    The Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval
    The DH Labs Q-10 Signature

System (also, see profile):

CD Player: Cary Audio Design 306 SACD Pro
    Pre Amplifier: Cary Audio Design SLP-05 (Vacuum Tube)
    Amplification:Cary Audio Design SA-200.2 (Solid state)
    Speaker System: Focal Diablo Utopia III
    Speaker Cable: Zu AudioWax
    Interconnects: Mogami balanced w/ Neutrik XLR connectors (Cryo treated and cooked)

I also plan to add entry level Shunyata power distribution, conditioning and cords. Interconnects will follow at some point down the road.

For now, I'd like comments on the speakers cables under review. The Big Silver Oval are a step up in price. They will have to beat the others clearly and convincingly as my budget is tight (plus I'm value oriented). What I'm looking for is more of what I heard with the Grover Huffman cables which I recently auditioned- better inner detail and fleshed out top end. Maybe a touch more dynamic punch. Blacker background.

toilet_doctor and Jim in Houston like this.
  2. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

My advice is sort out your room acoustics, though as your XLR cables are' cyro treated and cooked' I assume you must be past help.

3. jh901

I'm definitely not beyond help. Far from it! My room is treated with 16" and 9" DIY cylinder bass traps, but ideally I'd have about double the cylinders. That will happen some day. I also have adhered to the "rule of thirds" for speaker and sweet spot location. Not perfect, but I'd need a serious audiophile to spend time with me on tweaking that.

My weak points are vibration control and cables. So speaker cables first. I'll do Shunyata stuff after I pick the cables and try to work out the best deal possible.

Ortofun likes this.
  4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Well done on the treatment ,carpets ,drapes,upholstery are useful too
    But do more of it, don't bother with 'vibration control and cables'
    Just keep cables short.
    Power supplies need proper feeds,not conditioning imho

Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Not on your list, but Mogami 3103 at under $3 ft and 3104 (if you require bi-wire) at $5 ft. should rank very high if you are "value oriented".

I replaced Kimber 8TC terminated with the the Kimber Postmaster Spades with Mogami 3103 which I had terminated with high copper content Vampire spades (also very high value) as I felt the Mogami to be better.

3103: $2.85 ft 8TC: over $20 ft (actually $25 in Canada)

I guess I'm really beyond help and should be fully committed: I've had virtually every piece of wire and electrical connection in my system cryoed and burned in (including the 3103-the 8TC was as well) where possible. It's a huge bang for the buck in a reasonably resolving system.

Some other comments near the bottom of the page on 3103 and 3104 on Arthur Salvatore's site:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-SpkrCab.html

Ortofun likes this.
  6. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Hi, jh

I was going to mention some cables to try, but very hard as they are bouquet ones made down under here ( Ribbontek & Ribbonflex cables I think ETI are selling them ) they have a bit of a cult following. Outside of that, I have heard nice things about the higher end Audioquest stuff.

7. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Please post your findings in comparison to the Wax. I ran them in a shotgun bi wire for a while.

8. jh901

Will do. The Grover bested the Wax, so I'll buy those if none of the other more pricey options impress. The Wax are a hold over from the past and aren't part of my current system. I'm looking forward to the audition, which may be under way this weekend if the mail comes through.

Pros/Cons of Shunyata power cords, power distribution and conditioning are also welcome. My plan is work out a deal for the speaker cables I like plus several Shunyata items.

9. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I know its your opinion, but I can't see how you can make that statement. Whether you "need" power conditioning is environmentally dependent. I'm sure that in some cases you may not need conditioning, but I have found that conditioning removes a level of grain and distortion and I use equipment comparable (in price) to the OP.

So I would definitely audition power conditioning with an open mind.

jh901 likes this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have tried the Analysis Plus Oval 9. A perhaps slightly warm sounding cable, and it is very nice. I compared it to Mapleshade Double Helix Plus cable when I was going to replace my Decware Zen Styx cables, and kept the Mapleshade cable after comparisons. It just seemed "faster," a bit clearer perhaps, than the other two. I can easily recommend the Mapleshade.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  11. Lonson

I'm also beyond help then BP, as I too have cryo'd interconnects (VooDoo Cable Ultralinear and Evolution) and speaker cable (Mapleshade Double Helix Plus). VooDoo only does cryo'd so haven't compared, and I didn't do the non-cryo'd Mapleshade comparison but I'm very happy with this cabling. I have compared cryo'd and non-cro'd tubes and find there's a difference.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  12. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Please contact me when the time is right as I have some Grover Huffman cables (speaker cables and interconnects) that I'm looking to sell.

13. jh901

Appreciated. My speakers are exceptionally detailed and fast. Musical? Of course, but not laid back and romantic. I tend to believe that they are hyper sensitive to components and cables, etc upstream. I'm confident that an upgrade of my Wax cables will allow my power amp to deliver more inner detail and better highs along with other benefits hopefully. I am curious to hear a silver cable such as the Big Silver Oval (<-- link). Will they be too "honest"? Whatever that means. I certainly like to think that my amplification is pretty good, so honesty should be a good thing. I think. I will be listening to Miles Davis (upper register) and the like so lean and/or harsh won't cut it.

14. Lonson

I have no idea about the Big Silver Oval. I've had silver-copper speaker cables (Decware) and all silver inteconnects (Decware and MAC) and though they can be wonderful they can also present with a little bit of thinness. I've gone back to copper in both instances and am happier; I also consider my amplifier as fast and detailed. Using the former cabling in my father's system built around my Decware modified C amp, and they sound quite nice (but yes, a little bit thin)

15. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You might enjoy this:

http://www.wireworldaudio.com/reviews/AudioAsylumReview.pdf

I do not vouch for the applicability of the discussed design concepts in relation to audio, but find it interesting.

I have the Oasis 7, which is the same cable with a lesser copper (not UPOCC).

Very much so. Timbre is improved—drum skins, mass strings, background vocals, dense passages of arrangement—are all now increasingly clear, and separation of the elements is more distinct. This is the hallmark of the design, IMO.

Honestly, I feel the improvements are focused on the mid-bass and midrange. There is more breath in the lower tones — better integrating with the mids. The top end, retains a little bite—to my ear, about right on the bloom at the edge of a horn, or a cymbal, but fluid with a flute or solo strings. There is just a little sparkle, and this may be my amp.

This is where you may be disappointed. In my system, I have a sense that the power of the amp is better represented over the full frequency range with these cables. The increase in texture and detail, having noticed similar changes with isolation or room treatment, seem to keep the detail separated more effectively during loud, congested moments. This could very well be perceived as a less dynamic sound emotionally, and a step toward an analytical look at the recording.

Possibly. This may be situation dependent. The presentation of my turntable seems the same, however if you look at the design, there are claims regarding a lowering of noise floor—the result being more texture, timbre, detail.

I will follow to see how they work in your system.

jh901 likes this.
  16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I like the Lectralines quite a bit as I have mentioned before. It's a nice combination of detail and musicality which is rare in my experience. Very affordable too.

jupiterboy likes this.
  17. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I think that you've chosen a bunch that are pretty well regarded so I think in the end it will be up to you to determine which one you like the best because I read good things about all of them. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

jh901, jupiterboy and LeeS like this.
  18. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I really like my Audioquest CV8 speaker cables and Colorado interconnect. Battery powered so people really think you are whacky. I understand.

apesfan and beppe like this.
  19. jh901

Would you predict that they will beat the Big Silver? System dependent to some degree, but that would be impressive.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have only heard them at a show in a different system so it is hard to say. I think they would be competitive given how they have beat many other top cables I have heard.

Our host likes them a lot too.

21. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Hopefully the UPS driver can get through in this wonderful, winter weather.
    I have owned DH labs Q10 as well as Analysis Plus (forget model). I'm a solid core cable guy now.

23. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

You are in the same boat I was in regarding power cords. I got 3 shunyata venom 3 pcs and found a significant improvement from stock cords. I didn't audition anything else as I was going in at entry level. If you are going to this much effort, I would also encourage you to change your outlets. Cabledyne sells cryoed Hubbells for $30 a pop. I was very skeptical before installing them but it was $60 very well spent.

jh901 likes this.
  24. jh901

I kicked things off Friday afternoon (half vacation day from work!) once the UPS truck made it. First up was the "ringer" of the bunch, at least by SRP. The Analysis Plus BSOs were terminated with spades. Thicker that cheaper cables. Easy to hook up. On goes the power amp. I didn't expect too much as I'd recently heard Grover's compared to my old super entry level Wax. The idea was to give a listen to some cables a couple notches up in price range. Particularly, a silver cable.

Anyhow, my initial reaction soon after hitting 'Play', was nothing short of ecstatic. And surprised and perplexed. Beyond the obvious, which for me was some help with the highs (problem solved!), I couldn't figure out what was so intoxicating about the sound. I played several cuts and then it dawned on me that the soundstage had opened considerably. I'd heard this improvement before, particularly during my last front end upgrade, but I wasn't prepared for it this time. To my amazement, each musical event seemed to be unified in a way I hadn't heard previously. So, pretty much every aspect which comprises sound quality had improved. I enjoyed six hours (nearly consecutive) of seat time. That's a long stretch for me and I was still amazed. Maybe it was mood? So, I got in four hours Saturday and heard the same thing. Wow.

I switched to the Equinox 7 that night and shut it down. The first few tracks on Sunday were disappointing compared to the BSOs. My open soundstage and other "magic" had disappeared just like that. Perhaps I was fooling myself earlier in the weekend, so I switched back to the BSOs and the "magic" returned. And again, I couldn't stop listening and continue to do so now.

My speakers are super sensitive to weak links. I will continue to learn this lesson again and again.

I'll next switch to the Lectralines and will have to hope that they are impressive. To be continued...

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

But around 150 hours on the Lectralines and you will not be disappointed.

jh901 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.