Speaker cables for Focal 1008be2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mdelrossi, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm looking to upgrade my speaker cables for my new Focal 1008be2's
    Right now I have WireWizard Spellbinder by Nordst, running from my Yaqin 100b (KT88 push pull)
    Looking for something different maybe a bit more resolving but not bright.
    I have Morrow audio interconnects, I like them and was thinking about their sp4 cables.
    Any suggestions? I'd like to stay around $500 for a 15-16 foot run.
    Thanks in advance.

mdr

2. I think the Morrow SP4 cables would be wonderful choice. I started with the PH5 phono cables and love them. They are indeed very resolving, but not bright at all. I suspect this is characteristic shared throughout their line. I'm about to order the MA4 interconnects for my CD/SACD player and later this year the SP6 Grand Reference speaker cable.

3. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Maybe Transparent MusicWave. The network boxes do a nice job with the hotter top end of Focals.

I originally bought my Transparent Super's specifically for my 1028BEs and liked what they did.

4. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

What are the network boxes?

5. mdelrossi

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

Evidently a whole lot of nothing:

Why choose MIT over Transparent Audio?

When I came across this I felt a little pissed, because I own Transparent speaker cable.

7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I didn't feel pissed I already knew what was in the box when I tried them first. I certainly wouldn't want a full circuit board between my amp and speakers.

My point is the capacitor resister shunt shown in the photos, rolls off the upper most frequencies that can be useful with the extremely hot Focal tweeter. In fact Transparent was the only brand where I could hear a difference with speaker cables.

That said Transparent is way over priced just like every other boutique cable manufacturer out there, but at least you get a resister, capacitor, gunk and a nice plastic enclosure with them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  8. mdelrossi

Which Focal speaker and tweeter? I don't find the 10008be 2s' tweeter hot.

9. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

1028BE 2

The Focal Electra series all have a measured little bump in the 5-10k range. That's just the way they are.

10. mdelrossi

It's nothing like the Totem Rainmakers I had. ;)
    thanks
    mdr

11. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Bro......those speakers with those lovely Beryllium tweeters are too good to not get excellent speaker cable....and for $500 you wont be able to get the 15-16 ft runs of SP4 which starts at $399 per 2 meters. You may have to build your own for that kind of money, If you look around you may be able to find some Western Electric cable to build your own.....but to get the best out of those speakers, you may have to spend a little more. I've never heard any of the Morrow cable but i'm told the higher up the line you go....the better it is. You may have to go that route seeing they offer a payment plan as well as used cable. You might try calling the Cable Company as well to ask them the best way to go. They will let you try several brands of cables.

Wire world makes excellent speaker cables. You can get a 16 ft pair of Wire World Mini Eclipse speaker cable which is OCC copper for $850. You can get the Wire World Oasis 7 Speaker cable 16 ft pair for $550. Personally, if it was me and I had those speakers...I'd go with either the Wire World Oasis 7 Speaker cable...OCC Copper at $1350 for a 16ft pair...or the speaker cable I decided to get....Triode Wire Labs American Speaker Cable — American Series - Triode Wire Labs . His site list 12 Ft runs at $1200. So you'd have to call Pete to get the 16 Ft price. He has excellent speaker cable as well...Its all Cryogenic treated which gives them the resolution of OCC Copper. Don't sleep on getting excellent cables for those excellent speakers....they deserve it!

12. mdelrossi

@Slippers-on ,
    I was just researching Wireworld Oasis and Equinox 7's trying to figure out if I could swing the extra for the Equniox.
    They look like awesome cables.
    Thanks.
    mdr

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Slippers-on likes this.
  13. Slippers-on

You're welcome........

and I would be amiss if I didn't throw in another excellent cable that I had very good results. Its an audiophile cable and you should find the Black Oval 12 right up you alley. I've had the Black Oval 9 Mesh and the 12 is a smaller grade. I also own the Clear Oval speaker cables and interconnects as well in my home theater and it too is a great cable. And I own the Solo Crystal interconnect cables. But the Solo Crystal speaker cable is very expensive....but any ways Have a look at the Black Oval 12......the price is right. And You can always call Mark Markel and speak with him or just drop him an email. Do your research on the analysis Plus...its an excellent cable for any price. Analysis Plus | Home & Pro Audio Cables

14. Slippers-on

Looks like the Analysis Plus Black Oval 12 @16ft will bring you in under your budget!

15. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Who knew? I'm listening to Focal 726Vs as I write this, and they are connected using generic cable that looks a lot like lamp cord, and guess what? They sound GREAT!

Ponzio, LarryP and johnny q like this.
  16. Slippers-on

Yeah? And what other cable have you tried?

17. G E

G E Senior Member

Another Morrow enthusiast here. I have SP-6 speaker cables and a 20 ft run of IC-6. Incredible detail without etched in your face sound. Microdynamics are uncanny - detail retrieval is superb. Morrow cables are great performers.

They show up used once in a while and Mike runs some really good sales once in a while.

Kristofa likes this.
  18. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Morrow's. Great product. Wonderfully balanced-sounding.

19. mdelrossi

Thanks to all.
    I think I'll try Morrow and their 60 day policy and their never ending sales. ;)
    I'm also going to try Wireworld , if I can find a place that will do a trial period.
    I have a Sansui au717 that I returned as well, and I hear a difference between it and my tube amp. These speakers are amazing.
    Thanks again
    mdr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.