Speaker Dilemma ... Sell/Upgrade or Not

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by StyxCollector, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

In my house I have a set of DM601 S3s in my bedroom, and an old pair of V201s in my back room. I've eyed the DM603s (well, they're in my price range :), but they're largely a not necessary purchase.

In my main room I have a pair of old Fried Model Rs that sound good with Fried bookshelves for rears, and a so-so CSW center (yeah, I know). Back in the day Fried/IMF was considered the stuff, and I have always liked 'em. No need for subwoofer, very musical speakers, esp. for stereo.

THAT SAID

I have a chance to get DM603 S3s for $650 - for a pair!!! I'm tempted, but should I pull the trigger? I wonder if I'll regret not using the Frieds.

Then there's the problem if I do decide to go this route, where do the Frieds go? There way big and heavy.

Maybe I should just upgrade the center channel and be done with it.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Man, I've heard of some of your speakers, I've not heard of the brand "Fried" and I have not auditioned anything you own. Must be brands unique in CD Land. ;)

Not sure if you would get a big improvement from the 601 vs. the 603's.

Of course, you'd have to buy more electronics, get a bigger house and tweak another room into sounding great. So.... go for it! :D

3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I was gonna say that you should consider spending the extra $400 for the 604 s3, but then I saw the price you can get the 603 at. That is only $50 more than the 602 retails for. And you get that nice aluminum bass driver and floor standing size for that $50. I would jump on that deal if you like the 601 for what it offers. (I have 602s3 and 604s3)

I am not familiar with Fried products, so I'm afraid I'm not much help there.

4. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Fried and IMF speakers still have a cult following around the world. Don't replace them unless you are sure that the DM (B&W?) speakers are definitely more to your liking.

I have a pair of IMF Studio TLS50's that I am restoring. This transmission line floor standing system still sounds amazing.

Here's Fried info:http://imf-electronics.com/Fried/R/index.html

and IMF info:http://imf-electronics.com/

5. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Here's my approach: Just ask yourself: «Do I NEED new speakers?»
    Problem solved... :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.