Speaker Foam Surround Repair?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

I'm looking to get a pair of Woofer speakers repaired...the foam surround has rotted...any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

After PartsExpress.com stopped on-site repairing of speakers I sent my brother's BIC 8" woofers to SimplySpeakers.com for surround replacement and they did a stellar job!
    But... they are not taking any new repair orders for reasons unknown. Too bad as I was going to send them 6 ESS speakers (4-10" & 2-6") for surround replacement but now I don't know what I am going to do. DIY maybe? or I may have to check Midwest Speaker Repair, but I don't know if they are any good.

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

If you are handy it's not too difficult. I've don a few dozen in my day with no bad results.

lobo likes this.
  4. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

5. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

6. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I bought a kit off Amazon from Simply Speakers. It was fairly easy to do. The Kit came with the foam and glue. Review their Youtube videos for directions. They tell you what tools you'll need. Took about 3 hours to finish. You have to wait a bit between applications of glue. So not working 3 hours, more like less then 45 minutes including prep, then waiting for glue to dry. Not hard at all. The videos show all the steps, so you can watch to see if this is something you are capable of doing yourself.

8. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I also ordered from Simply Speakers on Amazon. I was surprised at how easy it was to do myself.

9. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, I'd recommend finding a local shop that does re-coning / surround ref replacements. Often, professional audio stores will do this for pro gear but will also do it for retail customers. This way, you've got someone local to go to and have a conversation about options etc. as well as most likely getting it done faster and perhaps cheaper. Supporting a local business is never a bad thing either ;). Best of luck getting fixed up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.