Speaker humming.....PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mikedifr0923, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

What is this TT without grounding. The arm wires/cartridge have to be grounded and wondering if this internal grounding is effective? The other possibility is like Rega the grounding is the shield of one of the phono cables.

2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident Thread Starter

No worries, I appreciate you trying to help

3. mikedifr0923

There was no hum with the internal preamp that I can remember. I also dont remember any noise with a couple other (albeit cheaper) external amps I tried either. I will take a look at this though. Maybe since the new preamp is much better than anything I used before it its "doing a better job" picking up noise that might have been there from the power supply before but I didnt notice?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Check the post that said that his worked fine off the internal preamp but hum from external, and no hum from external when the TT was run from a battery source instead of the wall wart.

5. mikedifr0923

I will....but I didnt get any noise from other external pres (that I remember....but I also may have not been looking for it at that point), which is why I thought it was the Vincent. Is it possible that it just picks up noise that was much lower and I just didnt notice with a lesser quality pre??

I dont know that I want to mess with something like that though, I have no clue when it comes to that stuff, I am just a stupid accountant :D;)

6. mikedifr0923

I just read it......Interesting, but it looks like all external so I think I can handle that if I need to go that route. That guy went with a pretty big DC power supply that he linked on Ebay in another thread.

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Linear power supplies aren't cheap. I don't have one for that reason. But if you can rig up a battery as a test to eliminate the stock power supply that might tell you something.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  8. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I have pondered the subject before,but am now(after reading several threads) convinced that there is something intrinsically "wrong" with the power supply over the pond:reports of "hum" etc a rare exprience in Blighty:)

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  9. mikedifr0923

I would have no clue how to do that. The one this guy got was $100 including shipping. It’s from China. Can be returned, but what a pain that would be

Weird thing is, I was now getting the noise with the built in pre tonight. I am beginning to wonder if it’s really just ****ty, noisy power in my house at this point, maybe because too much on the circuit, I don’t know....since I got rid of the obvious stuff

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.