Speaker placement help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zonka, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zonka

zonka Forum Resident Thread Starter

With the furniture setup I have I will have to place some new bookshelf speakers so that the tweeters will be a foot, or so below ear level from my main listening area. Should I put a door stop (or a more elegant solution) under the speaker to angle it up a bit?
    Just curious if this will make much of a difference.
    Thanks for your advice.

Drew

2. Sounds like a good option. Most important, get the speakers off the floor and at ear level. For my needs, I had to build my own speakers stands about 5' tall and in the front corners of the room with the other side and rear speakers on the walls well above ear level. This works out great with my flat-screen TV mounted above the fireplace in the front of the room giving the kind of effect you'd get in a movie theater.

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Tweeter off-axis response usually falls away pretty quickly, so how well they are pointed at your ears will make a big difference in how they sound from any given position. Speaker stands are great for helping this out, and also keeping the boxes away from the back and side walls. I measured my ear position at the seating spot and had speaker stands made to get the tweeters right at ear level.

Kristofa likes this.
  4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes, the speaker can be tilted up for tweeter on axis alignment. Some floor stands are angled for this reason precisely.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Resurrecting am old thread to ask about door stops specifically for rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup, since ripping out walls or retiring is not an option.

Our speakers are wired through walls and sit on built in shelves about 8 feet high, so the sound goes over us. I’d like to angle it downward.

I was thinking that placing rubber door stops underneath may be a simple way of addressing this at minimal expense, without overdoing it. If anybody has tried such a solution please let me know how it worked out, including whether you used a single wide door stop under the speakers, or if you used multiple narrower doorstops

The speakers themselves are small bookshelves that are lying on their side. That makes them a foot wide, 7 inches tall, and 11 inches deep. They do have some weight to them, so sliding off is not something that I anticipate being a concern.

Thank you in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.