Speaker Placement - Wide or Narrow?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Aman, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Spendor S100

9' 2'' apart

8' 6'' from ears

3. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Initial tests in the angle placement are good. It's allowing me to spread the speakers apart w/o placing them against the wall. That is greatly opening up the soundstage. Additionally, putting my small sofa at an angle in the corner is putting my head 24-30" off the back wall and I'm not getting the muddied sound. Before, my head was literally against the wall!

4. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

What's all this feet/inches/cubits stuff?
    Measurements in mm or cms might provide some insight to those of us who have moved on from Stone Age measurements.

The Snodger likes this.
  5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

You'll figure it out.

6. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I live in the States and most people on this forum do too. Ain't my rules, I prefer metric. But whenever I start talking cm and mm, my fellow countrymen get confused and check out.

7. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

All you need is a barely functioning brain to convert it. Absent that, there are any number of online conversion options available. Good luck

rob303 likes this.
  8. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Why should I have to?
    The metric system is the international standard.
    Personally I do not have a problem with US citizens using antiquated measurements [although they could at least be consistent and insist that their government make it twelve cents in a dime], but Canadians and Brits should know better .They are only making a concession to backwardness.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I can't fathom why you need to put your foot down. Can't you give us an inch?

That's my 2/-

:winkgrin:

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I set up the speakers using orchestral recordings that I've listened to many time and find ideal in presenting the music in an appropriate scale. If things get wonky with more "artistic" sorts of mixes I assume that that the musician/producer's intent. I use a combo of box speakers and Magnapan mid/bass drivers, find the sometimes "odd" imaging of pop mixes amusing.

11. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Clonesteak, timind and 33na3rd like this.
  12. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

For the same reason that I had to buy a Whitworth toolset to work on my Raleigh's. :)

13. BurgerKing

Do you likewise wade into boards in Spanish or French and insist everyone provide you with an English translation? You want to participate in a discussion regarding speaker placement, then post your thoughts in whichever units of measure you prefer. Just don't insult the other participants for not conforming to your enlightened standard. You come off like a d!ck.

Kristofa, LuLu Reed and Jtycho like this.
  14. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

What do you mean by a Dick? Although I am a native English speaker I am unfamiliar with the term.Perhaps if you use standard English I might understand.

rob303 likes this.
  15. Chip57

Chip57 Member

I've just viewed the last couple of pages and this thread is really heading sideways.. Lol
    Oh well.

16. BurgerKing

It's high time you started looking things up for yourself, Richard.

(Hint: it's pretty much what it sounds like)

17. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Is it anything like irony?

18. BurgerKing

Not by the commonly understood definition of the word, no. If believing so fulfills a fantasy for you, then knock yourself out.

Please.

19. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

The OP used imperial measurements and it seems reasonable that the rest of us should respect that.

20. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

An American using Imperial measurements?That is an amusing concept given that Imperial system post-dates American independence and is quite different to the US Customary system.

As I said there is no problem with Americans using their official system of measurements because that is what it is.They are the only country in the world that still uses it however.Although that other great power Liberia only recently gave it up.
    So there should be no expectation that others should use it in general conversation or discussion just to please them.

21. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm confused, is this thread about room acoustics or measurement options.

Slack, if the scent of a rose is described using different terms, does it smell different? Let it go.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

If you use that new-fangled Google, the answer will come to you:
    http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/meters-to-feet.htm

And to quote Maude Lebowski, don't be obtuse.

23. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

My speakers are 5 & half feet apart & I am about 8ft away. STD UK sized bedroom.

24. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

What is the best position for one person may not be for another.Musical preferences often come into it.As does how we hear or listen.Some people do not seem to hear 3D type imaging so placement for them might be less critical.
    Orchestral music probably sounds better with the speakers wider apart and with less toe in whereas small scale acoustic music with vocals might sound best with the speakers closer together and perfectly on-axis.
    Compromise is often involved.Especially when room factors come into play.

There is no ideal.

timind likes this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

I tried the diagonal set up when that thread was started and can say it was a revelation to say the least. It worked so well I even tried a pair of Magnepan MG12s in my near perfect square room. The Maggies were terrible in a standard configuration, but in the angled room they sound wonderful. Amazing.

My room is 12' x 12.25' or if you prefer, 3.65m x 3.72m.

norman_frappe and rob303 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.