Speaker reccomendations for Scott 299A

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by paul cbc, Mar 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member Thread Starter

I am picking up a Scott 299A integrated amp to use in my den/computer room ( 12' x 9').
    Am looking for a set of smaller (possibly bookshelf)speakers to pair with this. Would like to keep the budget low-below $200 (preferably below $100) if possible. Was thinking about a pair of Advent 3's, or KLH 6's. Since my budget is limited I don't think I'll be hooking up a set of LS3/5A's right away :shake: .

Would appreciate opinions on what would be a good match for this unit. I am leaning towards vintage, but not set against new.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :righton:
    paul

2. paul cbc

How about the Tannoy Proto J Plus or Tannoy Reveal monitors. Would this amp have enough power (~20 wpc) to drive these?

ps: I've expanded my budget to $300-ish.

paul

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

How about some Paradigm mini monitors. They are in the $300.00 range and IMHO they give a lot of bang for the buck. Check them out if you can. I am using some Paradigm Monitor 3's with an old Sansui integrated amp and they sound great.

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Boy, there are a lot of choices in the $300 range these days.

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I used to have a pair of second-hand Large Advents in college. Back in the 1970's, they were pretty popular due to their "bang for the buck" appeal. Pretty neat speakers for the money.

They have a clean and warm sound and they're a piece of cake to drive...like 8 ohms nominal impedance. They were 2-ways with a 12" woofer and stood a little over 2 feet high. I see nice pairs all the time on eBay for around $200 or so. Given your room size, they'd probably fill it out nicely with surprisingly good sound. I'm sure they'd take to tubes quite well. Only thing is, the woofer surrounds do break down over time, so you'd wanna check that. Still, it's a cheap repair...maybe $50 tops, if that. Pretty nice walnut cabinets, too.

If interested, just do an eBay search for "large advent".

6. paul cbc

Thanks for the replies!

I use paradigm speakers in my HT and do like their sound. I used to use(and still have) a set of paradigm export monitors that I've promised myself to sell someday. I do find them a bit bright, though a good speaker.

As for the Large Advents, I think I'd like to go with something smaller for this room. Don't get me wrong-I do appreciate the benefits of big speakers, running a pair of '71 Klipsch Cornwalls in my main system.

Well, please keep the ideas coming if you've got 'em. I'll probably be giving the Scott a few weeks trial in the main system to check it out.

peace,
    paul

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I like the 299; it's a neat little receiver. I'm sorry I sold mine.

8. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Yeah, wasn't sure if you were dead set on bookshelf models or not. FWIW, I was using them in a pretty small dorm room without any congestion. Worked out just dandy with an old 30WPC Harmon-Kardon SS receiver.

I'm sure you'll find something whatever it turns out to be. All kinds of decent stuff on the used market.

9. paul cbc

Steve-Good to hear. I made the "mistake" of borrowing a friends Scott for a couple weeks last summer and have wanted one since. A nice sweet sound.

Arin-I did look at the Large Advents. They certainly seem to be a classic speaker. Might end up with them if I stumble across the right pair. Will pursue the monitor route for now. Good to know about the power handling. Thank you!

paul
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.