Speaker shopping...dealer very critical of my amp.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

I'd been considering new speakers (like Harbeth, B&W, Focal, AN, DeVore) since I picked up a McIntosh C2500 and MC275 (VI). I called one local dealer I've worked with before to inquire about brands he carried, and he outright told me the McIntosh gear wasn't any good, and that I should trade it to him for an amp that he carries before even considering speakers. I could give more detail but I don't want to implicate the shop, as I do like the guy and had previously trusted his opinion. But he really bashed the MC275, and I've never heard such criticism of that amp's sound.

So now I'm reluctant to go listen to any speakers there because I don't want to be pressured into trading my preamp and amp (which I have no intention of doing at this point), but he's the only game in town for a few of the brands he has. What to do?

McLover likes this.
  2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

McIntosh is not any good, but he wants it . . . hmmm.

fortherecord, LeeS, slovell and 32 others like this.
  3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Listen to Carl Swanson. He's onto something

4. snorker

Right. He's not a Mac dealer, if you didn't guess.

McLover and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

Just ignore his requests to trade and shop for your speakers. If he doesn't want to sell you speakers because you own McIntosh amps, he's losing your business. You can always go elsewhere.

2point1, octaneTom, RickH and 11 others like this.
  6. Carl Swanson

What I was thinking was, if it's really as bad as he says, he'd say "Get rid of it" rather than "Trade it in to me."

7. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Walk...no, run away.

slovell, rxonmymind, ClausH and 9 others like this.
  8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

More hi-fi dealers than not are jerks and idiots.

There's a lot of speculation about why this is. After forty years of buying gear I know it's true.

I have about five people I do business with and if one of them doesn't sell something I want.... I don't buy it.

Rolltide, sunrayjack and snorker like this.
  9. snorker

Well, he did suggest I could trade it or sell it, but in either case he suggested I buy a new amp from him.

He was critical not only of the sound--which he characterized as dull--but he also directed me to the "How it's Made" episode online to point out to me that it's a bad idea to have LED's in the circuit, that the transformers are wound by a machine and then tar poured in, the binding posts aren't soldered properly, etc., intimating it's all poorly designed and built. He then relayed stories of other customers who walked in with an MC275 and were so disgusted after they heard the amps he carries that they just traded it right then and there.

He'd previously steered me in the right direction on a turntable, so I was surprised at his strong reaction. He wasn't even that critical when I was using a Sony AVR for everything!

10. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

I would go shopping in a few days. Don't mention the amps - just browse his store in person and shop for speakers. If he mentions that the Mac gear is no good, he's clearly remembered you have it and you know why he thinks you should trade it. At this point, I'd simply say "I'm very much enjoying it and not interested in trading it, thank you.". If he continues insisting you ditch it, I'd walk out without saying a word. Someone that slimy doesn't deserve your business.

timztunz likes this.
  11. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

LOL, this is so transparent you could use it for a window!

Dave, FashionBoy, Tim Irvine and 6 others like this.
  12. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

My analysis :

Did you buy the turntable from him?

It's easy to sell speakers + amps as package deals given there needs to exist a certain synergy between the two. Shop for speakers, he sells you on the right amp to drive them. Not so with Amp/TT. Also, if it was a $$$ turntable you bought (coupled with the fact you now have Mac gear which ain't cheap), he may assume you're going to drop a bunch of cash and be seeing dollar signs.

Furthermore, there's a stigma around the audio community that Mac gear is "mainstream" + overpriced. It's expensive and has an enormous brand presence in high-end audio. (Not to knock any Mac owners here - I think it's good stuff!) It's not exactly a stretch to think that someone with lined pockets who's getting into audio would stop at Mac first. From this, he may assume you're not knowledgeable about audio (Since you've landed at the "obvious" high-end amplification choice) but not shy spending on gear. Perfect storm for a salesman.

snorker likes this.
  13. snorker

Thanks. He knows me, so no avoiding the Mac discussion. I'm tempted to bring it in and actually hook it up against what he's got. I truly can't imagine the Mac being so blown out that I'd want to sell it. I've never seen a less than stellar review of the thing!

Digital-G, linwood, Dave and 5 others like this.
  14. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Lotta dealers are full of s**t. Amen.

Tommyboy and ceynon like this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Well, if they walked in carrying the amp, I'd say they were probably looking to trade it in.

snorker likes this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it were me I probably would've told the guy to shove it and just found somewhere else to shop.

17. Carl Swanson

My equivalent is, "Thanks for your input," without reference to where the "in" is being "put."

18. snorker

Yeah, right. The only thing that ticks me off now is I have to drive pretty far to audition some of the brands he carries, whereas this guy is in town. I might just go listen to what he's got but buy elsewhere.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Give that idiot the widest berth possible and take your hard earned somewhere they know how to respect their customers.

slovell, RickH, Tommyboy and 5 others like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Might be a hassle to drive elsewhere but the better experience/customer service might be worth it. I'd find out if those other dealers are any better and bundle some errands or other things to do with the drive if you go that route.

Tommyboy and snorker like this.
  21. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Count your blessings. I rarely get to listen to ANY piece of gear before buying it.

dadonred, Tommyboy, Manimal and 3 others like this.
  22. snorker

There's a dealer I've been in touch with that's about a three-hour drive (in Delaware). The good thing is they're also Mac dealers so I can hear the speakers hooked up to the same gear I own (though it's always hard to tell what it will sound like in my room). Also, no sales tax in Delaware. :D

23. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

That is complete B.S.

A GOOD dealer would encourage you to bring YOUR amp/preamp into the store to audition the speakers with, and certainly would not criticize your gear. In fact, the dealer I formerly frequented (sadly, now defunct following the owner's passing), would have invited me to relax with a cup of coffee and enjoy the "reference" system (no pressure) while waiting for the tubes to warm up!

Forget this guy, and plan a road trip to the next nearest dealer.

LeeS, slovell, McLover and 4 others like this.
  24. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

I wouldn't. You start adding variables like his cables, his room, his sources. You're fine on the equipment side. His job is to find you a great speaker in your price range that works with your equipment. If he can't, go somewhere else even if it means a drive.

25. somnar

somnar Senior Member

This sounds like the best plan. I get that it's a hike, but it's not like you buy speakers every day so think of it as an adventure. And the fact that you'll get to hear it with amplification that you know well is a huge plus.

ggjjr, Kristofa, tyinkc and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.