Speaker size, room size

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Diver110, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This post relates to two listening room threads I started. (Thanks for the feedback on those.) I have Legacy Aeris speakers (a late life splurge). I love these speakers, the bass will kick your ass. They do everything else well too. Before I had Gallo satellites and a Gallo subwoofer with Mapleshade upgrades. (I actually still own those. Great value.) The one negative thing I have noticed with the (admittedly big time) upgrade, is that the room I have the Aeris in is barely big enough given the image size projected by the Aeris. The room is about 15 x 30, with the system at the short end. Lots of glass, almost all covered in some fashion. I have also put up a number of strategically placed acoustic panels. The speakers are very close to the sidewalls. I think they would do better in a bigger room. To that end I have considered finishing my basement, with is something like 30x50, though it would end up having a fairly low ceiling at least in places.

All of that is a long intro. I am curios about matching speaker sizes to room sizes. The speaker manufacturers always claim you can put almost any size speaker in any size room. But that is not my experience. You can overwhelm a room. I would be interested in others' views and, in particular, how to match rooms and speakers.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think a lot of it is how you use speakers in the room. In your case, can you pull them out from the sidewalls any? How far do you sit from them?

I think rooms and acoustics definitely matter of course, but I also think one can enjoy good sound in almost any room, and this is an area where some make perfect the enemy of good. Of course, maybe in my small room I just have to tell myself that :)

timztunz likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Luckily you can trick sound waves with a few well placed pieces of acoustic foam.

4. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If the room is not deep enough with tweeters high above your head - that would be a real problem. If the room is the perfect length to make a particular bass note "hang" then you would need to buy or build bass traps.

I recently learned the Sumiko method of speaker placement in a room and it really does work. There are YouTube videos that teach this far better than my post here could describe.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. Diver110

I sit in an equilateral triangle, more or less, a little under 8 feet a side. In truth, it is a very good sounding system, but I am wondering if it would do better in a larger space given the size of the speakers.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I don't think you're taking full advantage of your current room (I have read the basement project thread and I nodded in approval, thinking it was more of a ¨mancave¨thing than a dedicated listening room)

Have you tried expanding your listening area in your current room before incurring in further expenditures ? Your speakers are currently just 8 feet apart, and you seat at 8 feet from them; are you trying to achieve some sort of nearfield listening experience ? I don't think you're giving your monster speakers the chance to deliver the full ¨blend¨ of sounds from the different speakers to your ears properly.

Try (if at all possible) placing your Aeris 2 feet from each side wall and sit at 11 feet or more and IMHO you might improve the sound. Or.....totally disregard this if it sounds like BS:agree:

timztunz likes this.
  7. Diver110

I'll "play it by ear."

timztunz likes this.
  8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Easy.

Large sized space... Serious speakers.

Medium sized space... Big Box Speakers with AlNiCo magnets, always and forever!

Small space... small big box speakers with AlNiCo magnets. Always and forever!

Box speakers with minimum 12 inch woofers just sound right. :agree:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Brian Gupton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.