Speaker "Stands" for Leveling Purposes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dreams266, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have my speakers on small pieces of carpet on top of my hardwood floors. It is very difficult to get the speakers to not be somewhat wobbly using shims to adjust the feet when making the speakers level.

I was wondering if anyone has seen any products that consist of some sort of very short stand that speakers can be placed on and that contain adjustable feet so you can level the speaker while keeping good contact with the floor. I have tried placing my speakers on granite slabs but the use of pieces of felt pads under the granite slabs still allowed the speakers to wobble due to the pads I assume. I would love to have my speakers level with a solid connection to what they sit upon.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

3. Dreams266

The key thing is something with adjustable feet (and not spikes) that can be easily adjusted with the speakers in place.

4. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Most high quality footers have levelling adjustability. I recently got some IsoAcoustics Gaia footers and they are fully adjustable with a rubber-like base that acts as a suction cup. Perfect for my hard concrete floor. They also sound incredible - best footer I've ever had.

Dreams266 likes this.
  5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Can't you remove the carpet? :)

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  6. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Is the floor itself uneven? Is in, with the speakers directly on the hardwood, do they wobble then?

If not, I'd get Sorbothane feet instead of the carpet. They'll improve the sound as well by decoupling.
    They might even work if the floor is a bit off as they compress under the weight of the speaker. Just get the right durometer for your weight.

Sonny1000 likes this.
  7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Sound Anchors are the go to solution for Vandersteen speakers. The T shaped ones allow for tilting the tweeter to get optimal sound.
    Floor Bases

Dreams266 likes this.
  8. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The last thing you want is something mushy like carpet under them allowing them to wobble and move while the music plays.

Speakers need to be rock solid on their footing for best sound.

If you have a serious leveling problem due to a terrible floor get some adjustable spike/ cones appropriate for their weight. Otherwise just pull out that carpet under them and if you need, use some small cardboard shims to reasonably level them.

10. Dreams266

The pieces of carpet under the speakers improved my ability to anchor the speakers compared to what was involved with attempting to get them steady directly over hardwood with shims, etc. When it comes to trying to level something with four feet on hardwood, every floor is a disaster! Slightest change further complicates a complicated leveling project.

All good advice here and I appreciate it!

11. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Try using pennies.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Google "adjustable furniture gliders" and you'll find plenty of variations of this:
    [​IMG]

You can find them at any hardware store. I used something similar with Vandersteens when I didn't want to put spikes on the hardwood.

13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This is why Vandersteen uses the T shaped Sound Anchors. There are only 3 spikes. 3 points determine a plane, so it can't wobble, ever. The floor doesn't matter, as the stands always find a plane. If you are trying to get level, which something you wouldn't do with Vandersteens, you just adjust the front spikes for left to right, then the rear to adjust front to back. Vandersteens are actually tilted forward to aim the tweeter toward the listening position. But the process would be the same. If you are concerned about damaging your floors with cones, they sell conecoaster, which are nothing more than dimpled coins with padding on the bottom.

14. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

speaker plinth - Google Search

Google image for speaker plinth. I made something similar to the above. Buy a slab of hardwood, cut to size and attached your choice of adjustable feet.

33na3rd and Dreams266 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.