Speaker suggestions at $4,000.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JBStephens, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

2. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

When all your speakers are named "Sierra" it can become rather confusing. My first choice was the Polk Lsims, which come in around 90 pounds. The Sierras come in at 49 pounds. I have to be able to lift them to sit them atop the subs! And they were only $2,000 so I have lots of budget left.

Tauren04 likes this.
  3. Tauren04

Tauren04 Well-Known Member

Polk LSiM 707s were my choice. Great price! Personally speaking ... I feel like the Sierra is really small and won’t provide adequate bass or soundstage like the 707s.

displayname likes this.
  4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

That's why I have these two things sitting here called "subwoofers". :D

5. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Wait a second... You're putting floorstanding speakers directly on top of subs?

bucketsrb likes this.
  6. Tauren04

Tauren04 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing... :confused:

7. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I've really enjoyed my Legacy Classics. They are direct-to-consumer as well.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yeah, I missed a few. It seems like every week I read of a new DTC speaker company. Utah breeds a lot of them for whatever reason - maybe something in the water...

Roycer, spanky1 and Kristofa like this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Bianca Scout ~ Pattern Damage (2024)

Hehe, there's a guy from Utah on USAM that's been trying to sell a really nice set of Salk Song3 speakers off and on for the last year, lists them as mint but not much of a discount from factory price. Still, they have the RAAL ribbon tweeter, and look in perfect shape, nice walnut veneer. I think the newer model has gone with the Accuton ceramic midrange in place of the titanium one, but I think these are the earlier ones with the bamboo midrange. I'd bet they do sound good, but I'd want a little better deal myself. Heavy though, shipping would cost a fortune ...

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock and sturgus like this.
  10. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I think this could work quite well. What are your subs?

11. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Whoa, that is a huge discount, it makes me wonder why they would be discounting a fairly new model that much. I heard the Aria 948 yesterday, and they were overpowering the room and setting off all sorts of reflections. To be fair, the room was untreated and pretty reflective. OTOH, the set of Paradigm Prestige 85F that were in the same room sounded much more cohesive and didn't seem to set off any noticeable reflections. Not sure why.

12. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Did you get the Tower or the bookshelf?

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I auditioned the 936s and found them to be little to no better than most $2K floorstanders. I had a chance to purchase a demo pair for only $2K over a year ago and still passed.

Blair G. likes this.
  14. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

Yeah, not sure , I read in another thread they're discontinued. I'm not sure though as that's the only place I've seen that. I did buy a pair of the 936 at this price. I'm waiting to receive them. I'm hoping they aren't too large for my room, I was going to get the 926's that are also 30% off but....
    I'm hoping they are a good fit and I like them.

15. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I think it is the Electra series that is going away. The Aria series is fairly new.

M.R.Collins likes this.
  16. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Congrats on the Sierra towers. I decided on these as well after auditioning them alongside the Focal Aria 936. They don't have much of a low end but the clarity and detail is outstanding.

johnnypaddock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.