Speakers : B&W 685 v B&W CM5's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jaap74, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's what I use. No music just movies are played through it. I'm happy with the 685 series.

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

In my opinion the CM5s are definitely a step up, but I admit if I was primarily using the system for movies I'd probably not do the upgrade. If you listen to a lot of music (particularly 2 channel) then it might be worth the extra refinement you'll get out of the CM5s.

4. Jaap74

I don't watch very many movies actually, mostly live concert blu-rays, 5.1 channel music and stereo music

5. ssmith3046

Might be worth the upgrade then.

6. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah, if music is your focus it might be worth pursuing this upgrade.

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I bought the CM5s for a friend who uses them for both movies and music and she loves them. Do try them out but I have a feeling you'll like them a lot.

8. Jaap74

I love the 685's, if they are better than those, which they must be at the price, I think I'll he happy

Will audition in the next couple of weeks, they are going to be a birthday present to myself :righton:

9. ssmith3046

The 685's are great little speaker at a fair price.

wgriel likes this.
  10. Jaap74

I'm off to audition the CM5's vs 685 this afternoon, I'll report back tomorrow

11. ssmith3046

Great, I'd like to know what you think the differences in the speakers are.

12. Jaap74

So I went and listened to the CM5's yesterday, switching between those and my current 685's in the shops listening room and I was impressed. I took a CD of songs I know well (Steely Dan, Tool, The Police and Metallica) and when the music went from the 685's to the CM5's it seemed to open up a lot, the music seemed to be coming from a wider area in front of me rather than from a pair of speakers. Forgive my simple description but I guess that's what 'soundstage' means ??

I was also impressed with the beefier bass that they produced, not sure how much of an effect that will have in my system as I use a subwoofer but I'm sure it can only improve things.

Needless to say I bought the CM5's, unfortunately they weren't in stock so I will have to wait until Tuesday to pick them up. Now to put the 685's on eBay !!

zboski, Shawn and wgriel like this.
  13. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Glad you liked them! That is indeed a bigger sound stage that you were hearing.

14. Jaap74

So how much larger can a sound stage get ????? :shh:

15. ssmith3046

Those 685's will make a great little speaker for someone. Congrats on the new speakers!

Jaap74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.