Speakers' Corner LP version of "Getz/Gilberto" mastered by Kevin Gray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

For those of you who were trying to find a nice sounding LP of "Getz/Gilberto", I can now recommend the Speakers' Corner LP.

Cut flat, solid state Neumann, from the original stereo 1963 Verve master tape mix by Kevin Gray at Future Disc Systems in Hollywood. No EQ or compression added by Kevin. Astrud Gilberto's voice is on the LEFT, matching the actual master tape stereo image positioning.

It's the best version of the ORIGINAL mix of "Getz/Gilberto" you can buy.

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Steve, I didn't know Kevin did that one. It is done very well. Sounds very nice on my system.:thumbsup:

3. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Do we get a CD edition down the road?

ED:cool:

5. Steve Hoffman

Mike said:

My original Verve pressing had her voice on the right.....I wonder why ?

Search the Music Corner archives. This has been covered in GREAT detail!

6. Monsieur Gadbois

Hi Steve, are the new released Acoustic Sound 45 rpm cut with the same equipment? thanks.

Another question, did you have a chance to compare MFSL, Verve original and Speakers Corner Getz/Gilberto? :winkgrin:

Mike

7. Monsieur Gadbois

Thanks Steve, I found my answer.

Mike

8. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Speakers' Corner LP version of "Getz/Gilberto" mastered by Kevin Gray

The Acoustic Sounds 45s are cut with Kevin's system that was at Location Recording Service in Burbank, Ca from 1974-97. This the system that most of the DCC LP's were cut on. The finest cutting system on the planet as far as I am concerned. The lathe at Future Disc is wonderful as well.

MFSL LP: Too bright for me.
    VERVE '63 LP: Too dull for me.
    Speakers' Corner LP: Just right for me.

I would have liked a vacuum tube playback version which I feel would be quite wonderful sounding, but this isn't going to happen in our lifetime. So, this is it if you want to hear the sound of the original stereo mix of "Getz/Gilberto". Once this version goes out of print, THAT'S IT FOR THE ORIGINAL MIX!

Here is the old thread that discusses the sonic placement of "Getz/Gilberto":

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9588

9. Monsieur Gadbois

Re: Re: Re: Speakers' Corner LP version of "Getz/Gilberto" mastered by Kevin Gray

I have the original Verve released reel tape that I can play it back on my Ampex 351, that'll be as close as it comes(if you like, I can deliver this tape along with Contemporary's Art Pepper 2 track tape to you).
    *p.s. I wonder if Astrud's voice comes out on the right or left on reel tape.......I'll have to find out.

Mike

10. Steve Hoffman

You have a 351? It might eat that cheap tape that they used alive, and from 1964 or so it's probably quarter track, not two track. Be careful.

Yes, I would like to hear that reel to reel version you have. I'm curious now.

11. Monsieur Gadbois

I know what you mean regarding Ampex 351(I have two, one stereo, one mono), it could be a tape gobbling machine if you're not careful.:realmad:

The Getz tape is indeed 4 track that was released in 1963(at least that's what it saids on the back).

And yes, could you give me a more specific address.

Mike

12. Steve Hoffman

Mike, I'll have H. Zoo, esq. email it to you.

So if it's four track, it can't be played on a two-track or mono machine. You will hear both the forward side and the backwards side at the same time. It can be kind of trippy, but you probably won't like it too much....;)

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I don't think the 351 has a switch on the block; does it Steve?

This will be a big deal. I really can't wait until this sees release. Killer!

14. Steve Hoffman

No; straight two-track.

What's being released, Sckott? The LP has been out for a while. Did I miss something?

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'd answer my own question if I could, but I think I can guess it wasn't the smartest one I've ever asked:rolleyes: and can therefore guess the answer.

Now that I know it's the original mix, I'm in, but not offering a CD or SACD edition is the height of stupidity. Then again, A LOVE SUPREME 200g vinyl would be enticing....cripes, what a collecting fool I be...

ED:cool:

16. Steve Hoffman

Well, there is a CD and an SACD; just not made from the original mix....

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh, it's OUT? Woah. Sorry. Spoke too late!

18. Steve Hoffman

Yes, a few years...

19. Monsieur Gadbois

I'll have to play it on my Revox A77.

I had a chance to purchase the 2 track master dub(3rd dub) from a reliable source(I bought quite a few other master dub from him that sounded great), but didn't for $120 which I thought was too steep at the time, and later I regreted:cry:.

Mike

20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Steve, thank you thank you and thank you. this is the info that floats my boat. Do you think the original mono is the best overall? Is worth getting?

21. Steve Hoffman

I much prefer the stereo mix.

22. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

Two questions:

1. Is there now a discography of Mr. Gray's work?
    2. How is the Speakers Corner re-master of Steely Dan's, Can't Buy a Thrill?

Thanks for the tip on the Getz/Gilberto re-master! I still have my Mofi cd copy, and was unaware of the channel swap.

23. RDK

RDK Active Member

I have the new SACD and the channel swap isn't really a problem - i just turn my back to the speakers....

24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I usually just move the speakers. If I'm really feeling fit, I spend a few hours reversing the living room until my back craps out... :)

25. RDK

RDK Active Member

Todd, that reminds me of a practical joke we played on a high school teacher long ago.

When the teacher was called out of class for ten minutes or so, the entire class rearranged as much of the classroom as possible, flipping all the desks to face the other direction, moving the blackboard (I think it was on rollers), whatever bookcases, etc. that we could. It was like a mirror image except for the doors, windows, etc. We had it all planned in advance - just waiting for the right opportunity - so it only took a few minutes.

Fortunately the teacher had a good sense of humor and appreciated our ability to work together... ;)

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.