Speakers Corner reissues of Verve Records titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm a big fan of the Verve label, but I've never taken the plunge on a Speakers Corner 180 gram record. They seem to handle all things Verve in the audiophile LP reissue market. Are the albums worth it at US$30 a pop? Are they mastered in the USA by engineers using orig. master tapes, or in the UK with analogue tape copies or (gasp!) DATs? Who is the primary mastering engineer for these reissues? What is the pressing quality like? Any comments, recommendations, or A/B comparisons with first, Japanese, or other reissue pressings are welcome. Thank you in advance.

2. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Hi,

IIRC a lot of the Speakers Corner Verve reissues are mastered by Steve Hoffman's buddy Kevin Gray. The ones I have heard are really very good. Their reissue of Getz/Gliberto is the only one to use the original master tape.

Arne

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The cutting engineer Willem Makkee does a lot of their parts. Known for being picky and rejecting digital at every chance.

That said, I have read more than once or twice that 2nd gen copies are often the best that they can get overseas at that plant. The Verve material can sound pretty (really) bad on original US vinyl, so Speakers Corner might be a way to go for selected favorites on Verve.

For Impulse jazz titles, I would always seek out originals rather than Speakers Corner reissues. They were originally made well on thick vinyl from great masters, used heavy laminated jackets, and are more common on the here West Coast than other locations. Black labels with red borders (next issues) will still get you original plates, and then finally green target (ABC dist.) issues were pressed at Columbia Santa Maria (a bit later) still sound pretty great and have exact gatefold cover artwork minus laminate. I am speaking of Mingus X 5 and Black Saint & Sinner Lady, essential titles one might be looking for on this label. I mean if you are going for a reish, why not an old 70s analog copy for $10.00 in near mint cond. Otherwise $30 to $45 will get you into really nice originals.

For RCA, again Speakers Corner has not been reported to top originals, and might be due to 2nd gen masters.

I also remember something about a Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill LP reissue that used 24/192 copy tape. But now can't find any record of this being a SC LP issue?

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I have more than a dozen of those, and I like them all. Excellent mastering and pressing quality. I only have the current CD versions (Impulse 20bit, Verve Master Edition) to compare them with, and the LPs are clearly better.

Their website has FAQs (in the Help section) with info on the mastering.

http://www.speakerscorner.de

5. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident

I have the Speakers Corner Oscar Peterson - Night Train.

I wish it had a little less background noise, but it is not enough to ruin the listening experience. I like it !

6. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I didn't even know that Speakers Corner had the Verve catalog. I do have several other label reissues by SP, however, and all of them have exemplary pressing quality.

None of them, IMHO, however, sound as good as the best sounding pressings. It is very interesting that someone above mentioned that Getz/Gilberto was mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tape. That LP, in particular, does not sound remotely as good as the best sounding pressing (which, I cannot say since I am looking for a cleaner copy myself). I can, however, say that after listening to about 10 original Verve copies of this recording, I gave up on finding a great sounding one.

I tend to like their Decca reissues, however, but I still prefer the originals.

For late 50's Verve Stereo pressings, my experience has been that the original "((((((( STEREO )))))))" black Verve labels are the best most of the time.

7. mono.edition

mono.edition Forum Resident

I have a vinyl copy of Far East Suite by Duke Ellington (RCA LSP-3782) reissued by Speakers Corner: The sound quality is absolutely horrible! Not sure if it's the same on CD.

8. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I have the Ella Fitzgerald Sings "The Cole Porter Songbook" & "The Rodgers And Hart Song Book".

Both sound excellent and were cut by Kevin Gray at Acoustech. My only caveat is that the Rodgers and Hart is incomplete missing seven tracks recorded for the set and issued as part of the original mono release.

Here's what Kevin Gray had to say about the SCV

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

do you take that statement to mean that Kevin cut all the Verve titles for SC or just the Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks?

10. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Yes, all the Verve stuff and not just the Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks.

Here's a couple of titles reviewed by Mr. Fremer on the Speakers Corner vinyl.

Gerry Mulligan and Ben Webster

Oscar Peterson Trio With Milt Jackson

11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I don't agree that the sound is horrible. It's not first rate, but still enjoyable. I would rate it 6-7/10 ("horrible" would be <3/10). The CD reissues don't sound great either.

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Try this one.

Very impressive I think.

Attached Files:

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Today I compared two Speaker's Corner Impulse! reissues with their CD counterparts (the domestic 20bit remasters from the mid 90's).

- Charles Mingus: Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

The LP reissue sounds bright and thin compared to the CD, and is inferior in very way. Less body, dynamics and detail. My first and only Speaker's Corner disappointment so far.

- Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers - Impulse!!!

A difference like night and day. The LP sounds forward and immediate, whereas the CD sounds more distant and muffled, with a narrower stereo spread and less dynamics. The LP is the clear winner.

In both cases, the sonic difference was very important, as if different tape sources had been used.

To be continued ...

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

- Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba

How can two reissues of the same album sound so different? The Verve Master Edition CD sounds thin and sterile, while the Speaker's Corner LP sounds very warm and full (though slightly muffled).

I would have preferred an EQ in the middle, but the LP sound suits the music much better.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the DCC Gold CD or 180 gram LP of JAZZ SAMBA. Life is too short.

16. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up SC's reissue of John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman? I've got the 1995 180g Impulse version, and am wondering if the upgrade is worth it.

17. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I don't care what anybody says, Soulville SC is one of my favorites! And I also have a second press Verve on this. Do they sound the same? No. But the SC is that good that I could live with that one. Don't miss it if you don't have this one.

18. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

I got Jimmy Smith's "The Cat" a few weeks ago and I think it sounds great!

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Freddie Hubbard "The Body and the Soul" (Impulse!) is another great sounding Speaker's Corner LP that clearly improves over the current CD version (20bit remaster from 1996). The CD sounds more distant and has a much narrower sound stage.

20. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Another recommendation: Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery "The Dynamic Duo" is much better than the Verve Master Edition CD, which sounds thin and constricted in comparision.

21. Ronflugelguy

I just listened to this a few days ago, and I agree!

22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I´m now listening to the Gerry Mulligan - The Concert Jazz Band Speaker's Corner LP, and comparing it to the tracks in the Mosaic 4CD set, mastered by the Malcolm Addey.

Again, the LP mastering tops the CD mastering, with a fuller sound, a bit less treble, more bass and greater dynamics. The recording sounds fantastic on both releases, but the fuller body of the LP mastering makes this brass-heavy band sound more enjoyable.

[​IMG]

23. Ronflugelguy

Gee, I have the one with the Black Cover(Live at VV). I guess i'll have to check this one out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.