Speakers distort at high volumes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frogsborne, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogsborne

frogsborne Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I crank my front speakers they distort, but when I turn the volume down they sound fine again. Have I blown my speakers??? Or is there another explanation for this phenomenon??

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You've not filled in your profile so I have no idea what speakers or amp you're talking about.

I'd have to guess that your speakers can't handle the power of your amp. You are probably in danger of blowing your speakers!

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

How loud are you turning it up? A lot of recievers and amplifiers (mainly recievers) will push the volume into a '+' range, exceeding the output of the unit and 'clipping' and distorting much of the information in the process.

4. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

We need more details about the speakers and the amp driving them.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Blind_melon1

+1 Clipping most likely

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

If you are trying to push your speakers to over 106 db SPL, then you are probably clipping them.

7. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Power doesnt usually blow speakers (within reason) but distortion does. It could well be that your amp is distorting (clipping) please supply details of amp and speakers etc

8. frogsborne

Speakers are Monitor Audio BR2s which ive had about 18 months from new and the amp is a Yamaha As500. Wouldnt say i was playing them mega load. i'll get a proper Db reading when I get home from work

9. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Speakers Need an Amp from 30-100W
    Your amp outs out 85W PC into 8 Ohms. I am going to hazard a guess that your amp is distorting when you push it too hard. Dont do it your speakers will suffer. Better to get an Amp of 150W PC.

10. frogsborne

or I could change my speakers?

11. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

You could do that but would probably have the same problem.

12. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Could the amp cause the distortion if the psu wasn't giving it enough power?

13. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

laughalot hit the nail on the head. OP, if you want to crank it, get a more powerful amp. Otherwise you will blow your speakers out.

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are clipping your amp by turning the volume up too loud. This can damage your tweeters. Don't do that.

Keep the volume lower, or look into a beastly amp.

15. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Or use headphones.

16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You can blow headphones too if an headphone amp distorts when trying to play when the volume knob is near full volume. I've done it. Some amps just don't play clean when the volume it cranked, even if the actual listening volume isn't that loud.

17. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Twice, I have had people ask me to look at the stereo system for this same reason and both times, the cause was that the person wasn't careful wiring in their speakers and had one single strand of copper from the speaker wire cross over and slightly short their amp. This kind of connection doesn't kill most amps until you crank it a bit.

Check your speaker connections at the amp and the speaker terminals and make sure the speaker wires are not frayed and making this connection.

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Baker's half-dozen

Or get more efficient speakers. 6 of one . . .

19. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Active Member

"Cranking the volume" is not the same for everyone: For me this means hitting 85dB peaks, but I know people that will just turn the volume all the way up after a few (many) beers.

You need to kow which category you belong in: If you fall in the latter group, you should probably get a couple of PA speakers, and maybe a couple of resistors between your source and amplifier that allow you to safely "max out" the volume on your amplifier without clipping. Monitor Audio (and 99% of other "home" speakers) simply aren't designed to take that kind of abuse. Getting a more powerful amplifier will only make matters worse in ths case.

If you fall in the first category, and are not exeeding, say 90-95 (peaks) something is probably wrong.

20. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

How can you tell from the speaker specifications that it is an easy speaker to drive or that it's a speaker which requires such and such a powered amp?

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Efficiency. A rateing of (just say) 92 db@1 watt is pretty efficient. 84 db@1 watt is not too efficient. These are just examples of a specification that you might look for to find easy too drive speakers.

22. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

I have a pair of Dali 5000, basic floor standing, with an 8" woofer.
    I find them very easy to drive.
    The sensitivity is rated @2.83v/1min 90db, nominal 6 ohm, recommended amp 30w - 120w
    Whereas if I use the same amp with a pair of Orb speakers (little dome speakers) the size of a decent grapefruit (advanced high-excursion 3" full range*polypropylene driver cone), I can have the volume knob turned full before I'd consider them loud. Yet recommended amp is 15w -120w, efficiency is 89db 8ohm

Does that make sense?

23. frogsborne

I have my volume knob at 11 oclock and have recorded the volume at 100db is this pushing it to far?

24. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Active Member

100dB is loud, very loud , if you have measured ths on the listening spot, you are probably putting out a few dB more in reality, depending on distance.
    You are certainly pushing those monitor audio's to (or over) their limits.
    There is also the possibility that 11 o-clock on your amplifier is actually pushing it close to it's limit: Most amplifiers have input sensitivities of between 250 and 350 mV , while most CD players put out 2V. Long story short: In a lot of cases an amplifier will reach it's maximum power long before you reach 5 o clock on the volume dial, usually it's around 12 or 1 oclock, but it could easily be sooner if your CD player has even higher voltage output, or there is even more voltage gain in the chain, usually between a pre and poweramplifier.

If there is no audible distortion at lower volumes , there's probably nothing wrong with your speakers, but if you want to play this loud it would not harm to shop for a different pair of speakers and , depending on their sensitivity, a bigger amp.

25. frogsborne

Can someone explain this, my amp outputs 85w per channel and my speakers output 30w-100w, so the power of the amp is less than the speakers can output by 15 watts, does this not mean that no matter how loud I play my amp it will not blow the speakers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.